Capt McNaught Rules..........Discuss

Anteeta

Stephen,

I thought it was compulsory on the Winter Crossing! That and a bit of psycho-analysis, thrown in for good measure!;)

Peter

Peter,

A true Winter Crossing warrior is one who would not give a second thought to what is happening outside the large windows on Quarter Deck and would be more likely to be concerned about what the bartender is pouring than what the captain is doing on the bridge!

Stephen

more likely to be concerned about what the bartender is pouring

I don't really mind, as long as it does not involve vermouth.....;)

Peter

Who had 6 (or was it more? ) Dry Martinis and got a hangover because one of them had vermouth in it.....:eek:

I don't really mind, as long as it does not involve vermouth.....;)

Peter

Who had 6 (or was it more? ) Dry Martinis and got a hangover because one of them had vermouth in it.....:eek:

Peter,

Was it the vermouth or was it the 6th martini that gave you a hangover?;)

Stephen

Ah! The "Any Ship Anytime Anywhere Any Cruise Club" ;)

Can I correct that?

"Any Good Ship, Any Good Port, Any Good Cruise, Club"

22nd April 2007.........

QE2 is a Good Ship,

Sandemans is a Good Port,

Southampton to Southampton 21days is a Good Cruise!

:)

Stephen

21 days from southampton certainly is a good cruise Stephen - having done my last US & Canada cruise for 20 nights on QE2 I can vouch for this. Each cruise seems to get better & better onboard.

Would love to have gone on this crossing & Caribbean cruise but when this cruise was first advertised all single grades sold very quickly even for PG grade which I wanted to book!!! Nevermind I am back onboard this October and on a P & O cruise in May.

Have a great cruise & crossing as I am sure you will.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

A rather late reply to this thread... but having experienced our first transatlantic, first QE2 voyage and first glass of bubbly with Captain McNaught in January (not him of course...he was, erm, driving...:D) I'd like to add our vote to the "Captain McNaught rocks" proposition!

He spent 20 minutes answering all our silly questions and was thoroughly charming.

A great ambassador for Cunard and his ship.

I'm prompted to start this thread by a comment in another thread which remarked upon Capt McNaught being the poster's favourite Cunard Captain. I wondered what others' views are on this subject?

Who's your favourite QE2 or QM2 Captain and why?

For the record, our vote goes to the boy racer, Capt. McNaught. He saw all his passengers and crew safely through a particularly lively mid Atlantic storm on his maiden voyage in April 2003. He earned his epithet, having slowed the vessel significantly to ease the rigours of the voyage, making it as comfortable as possible for those of sensitive disposition. He made up the time lost and we arrived in NY as scheduled.

On a recent voyage to the Caribbean, where part of the trip had the QM in tow as it were, he kept us amused with his good humoured references to her slower speed. He's a personable individual and his youthful good looks belie his obvious skill and status as a world class mariner. He is good with passengers. I was also particularly interested to note that of the crew and officers that we spoke to, all had what appeared to be genuine praise for him. icon7.gif

Anyone else for Capt McNaught?

We also vote for Captain Ian McNaught, on our last cruise we found him to be very helpful and very knowledgeable on all aspects of Cunard. We look forward to seeing him in September.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm prompted to start this thread by a comment in another thread which remarked upon Capt McNaught being the poster's favourite Cunard Captain. I wondered what others' views are on this subject?

I am aboard QE2 right now for the 2007 full world cruise. Ian McNaught took us from NY to Honolulu during the first leg. He was gracious, accessible, classy, and personable. He has always been my favorite Cunard captain, and I have sailed with most of them over the years. The crew speaks very fondly and respectfully about him as well.

David Perkins assumed command in HNL.

I will be glad to have Captain McNaught return in Southampton so that I will have begun and ended my world cruise with him in command.

Can anyone confirm if Captain McNaught will be on for the 40th anniversary cruise? Also how long does each captain spend onboard, is it 3 months on, then 3 months off?
He told me that he would be on the 40th during the winter crossing this year.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone confirm if Captain McNaught will be on for the 40th anniversary cruise? Also how long does each captain spend onboard, is it 3 months on, then 3 months off?

Just heard everyone Captain McNaught will be on board for the 40th Anniversary cruise, so we cant be in any better hands.

• 2 weeks later...

We were luckyil seated on Captain McNaughts table on our 2nd cruise on the QE2 and what a charming, lovely gentleman he is. :D

He was so kind, as we cheekily asked him to sign the Christmas Day menu for a friend who was serving in Iraq that Christmas and he was only too happy to do so and sign anything else we could lay our hands on for our friend! Our friend was blown away to receive a package with all the menus, ship details etc and the special menu signed by the Captain!!

My husband is a part time magician and on longer cruise he always brings a couple of magic tricks to the dinner table on formal nights, and I think poor Captain McNaught is probably still trying to figure out some of the tricks!! ;) He even came down on the very last night to have a final go an guessing some of the tricks!

Our waitress in the Mauretania restaurant was so enamoured of Captain McNaught, I caught he once just gazing lovingly at him whilst he was talking!! Bless her! :D

If you're cruising with him, you'll have a grrrrreat time!

regards

Karen

We were luckyil seated on Captain McNaughts table on our 2nd cruise on the QE2 and what a charming, lovely gentleman he is. :D

He was so kind, as we cheekily asked him to sign the Christmas Day menu for a friend who was serving in Iraq that Christmas and he was only too happy to do so and sign anything else we could lay our hands on for our friend! Our friend was blown away to receive a package with all the menus, ship details etc and the special menu signed by the Captain!!

My husband is a part time magician

Karen

Karen,

Very intereted in your husband's occupation rather than his working hours:D

Will he please perform a trick whereby he makes cabin 1104 available to myself and partner for the 40th cruise. We're not booked or on the waiting list; but don't let that be an encumberance. Watching her sail away from Liverpool quayside won't have quite the same appeal:)

Anita

Hi Sea-Sea,

Yes, just working the dates backwards, it must have been Christmas 2004!! Blimey, how the time flies!!

Now, Anita...

I'm not sure theres enough magic in the world to conjour up cabin 1104 on the 40th Anniversary cruise!!! :D I'll ask him to have a go, but I've also asked him to slim my waistline down by a couple of inches and he always says that there's a difference between magic and miracles... and he just performs magic!!! ;) Like you, I expect we'll be on the dockside in Southampton watching her sail away and it won't be half as much fun!! :(

Regards to you both,

Karen

Hi Sea-Sea,

Yes, just working the dates backwards, it must have been Christmas 2004!! Blimey, how the time flies!!

Now, Anita...

I'm not sure theres enough magic in the world to conjour up cabin 1104 on the 40th Anniversary cruise!!! :D I'll ask him to have a go, but I've also asked him to slim my waistline down by a couple of inches and he always says that there's a difference between magic and miracles... and he just performs magic!!! ;) Like you, I expect we'll be on the dockside in Southampton watching her sail away and it won't be half as much fun!! :(

Regards to you both,

Karen

Thanks Karen. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Miracles do sometimes happen if you wish hard enough:)

Anita

Hi Sea-Sea,

Now, Anita...

Regards to you both,

Karen

Hi Karen,

I cant believe what your rude husband said about your waistline !:eek:

I love you just the way you are ;)

Im pleased to say im on the "40th Anni" cruise, sorry that your not. In June im on my Iceland and Norway cruise which " Indigo " is also on !

Hope you are both well and we meet up soon.

regards,

Gavin

For the record, our vote goes to the boy racer, Capt. McNaught. He saw all his passengers and crew safely through a particularly lively mid Atlantic storm on his maiden voyage in April 2003. He earned his epithet, having slowed the vessel significantly to ease the rigours of the voyage, making it as comfortable as possible for those of sensitive disposition. He made up the time lost and we arrived in NY as scheduled.

On a recent voyage to the Caribbean, where part of the trip had the QM in tow as it were, he kept us amused with his good humoured references to her slower speed. He's a personable individual and his youthful good looks belie his obvious skill and status as a world class mariner. He is good with passengers. I was also particularly interested to note that of the crew and officers that we spoke to, all had what appeared to be genuine praise for him. icon7.gif

Having just returned from the full World Cruise with Captain McNaught on the bridge from NY to Honolulu and then again from Southampton to NY, I can say without hesitation that Ian McNaught remains in my opinion my favorite captain. A gracious, charming and highly professional presence about the ship, he is well deserving of the admiration and respect which the crew and passengers have for him. He clearly embodies what the authentic Cunard/QE2 experience is all about.

Bobby1119

I have just been catching up on the boards and came across Captain Philip Rentell's name.On our very first cruise,a while back ,we had Philip as our Captain.This was on a grand old ship called the Carousel.We,in a moment of sheer madness booked a 28 night Med,T/A,Caribean and then T/A back to Tenereife.Never cruised before,but we had the most wonderfull time.A great deal of this was due to the Captain.He has to be one of the most friendly people we have come across over the years of cruiseing.When we arrived in Barbados after the T/A,we were woken to the imortal words of "i've found it".Nice to here he is still sailing the ocean blue.

Regards

Kathie:)

Archived