Capt McNaught Rules..........Discuss

Anteeta

Phil Rentell... I don't know him but he is a friend of a friend.

There are a lot of former Airtours/Sun Cruises people out there. The Hotel Manager on Celebrity's ZENITH last summer, Daniel Stacy, came from Sun as did current QM2 cruise director Alastair Greener (via Princess).

I have just been catching up on the boards and came across Captain Philip Rentell's name.On our very first cruise,a while back ,we had Philip as our Captain.This was on a grand old ship called the Carousel.We,in a moment of sheer madness booked a 28 night Med,T/A,Caribean and then T/A back to Tenereife.Never cruised before,but we had the most wonderfull time.A great deal of this was due to the Captain.He has to be one of the most friendly people we have come across over the years of cruiseing.When we arrived in Barbados after the T/A,we were woken to the imortal words of "i've found it".Nice to here he is still sailing the ocean blue.

Regards

Kathie:)

Phil is home on leave at the moment. Ruth and I just spent 52 days with him on board SAGA ROSE between Sydney and Southampton. He returns to the ROSE twice more this year then will take the SAGA RUBY on the round South America cruise next yet

Stephen

On board QE2 at anchor off St Kitts.

Phil is home on leave at the moment. Ruth and I just spent 52 days with him on board SAGA ROSE between Sydney and Southampton. He returns to the ROSE twice more this year then will take the SAGA RUBY on the round South America cruise next yet

Stephen

On board QE2 at anchor off St Kitts.

:( Oh Stephen, lucky you. We only have the webcam. Hope you're having a fabulous voyage:)

Anita

• 2 weeks later...
Having just returned from the full World Cruise with Captain McNaught on the bridge from NY to Honolulu and then again from Southampton to NY, I can say without hesitation that Ian McNaught remains in my opinion my favorite captain. A gracious, charming and highly professional presence about the ship, he is well deserving of the admiration and respect which the crew and passengers have for him. He clearly embodies what the authentic Cunard/QE2 experience is all about.

Bobby1119

Captain McNaught was the Captain of QE2 on my first trans-Atlantic crossing on QE2. His professionalism, charm, and personal commitment to both Cunard and his ship impressed me more than I can say. Finding him again at the helm on this last crossing made me feel as though I had returned home. He is the best representative Cunard has, and I will sail their ships as long as Ian McNaught is on the bridge. He stands head and shoulders above the other officers I have known on my various voyages.

Richard Schmidt

I will sail their ships as long as Ian McNaught is on the bridge. He stands head and shoulders above the other officers I have known on my various voyages.

Richard Schmidt

...And so will I! Hope to meet you again on board someday.

Bobby

Anita (Anteeta), this reply to thread is not on topic, but did we meet up while kayaking and swimming with the turtles in Barbados with the ship arranged tour during QE2's Southern Delights last Nov-Dec? If so, I was the single Aussie who paired up with one of the three young ladies (not from the ship) for kayaking and who shrieked boisterously during our all too brief, though wonderful , swim with the turtles. I should do something entirely different when we call at Barbados during the QE2 2008 world cruise. I so enjoyed those couple of hours with so few on tour, eight altogether, I'm rather tempted to do it again. I thought the crew on the catamaran were jolly nice to boot and made it rather special.

If it was you, then it really is a small world. Are you doing either of the QV or QE2 2008 world cruises or segments? Perhaps I’m mistaken but I thought I recall reading that you were waitlisted for QE2 40th anniversary. If so, are your prospects good for getting a guernsey for this voyage? I’ll keep my fingers crossed. In the meantime,

Cheers, Leone

• 1 month later...

Firstly (and off topic), Leone, sorry I didn't reply. I lost this thread. Sadly, I don't think we met on the Caribbean voyage last year although clearly we both enjoyed the turtles experience. We were on the am cat trip; bucks fizz brekkie and lunch aboard followed by an idyllic hour on a deserted beach. There weren't very many of us but I don't recall any Oz cousins. A Frenchman, Swiss couple and a dreadful Brummie (sorry but he was truly awful). Our loss we didn't met up; some other time who knows?!

Back on topic, given the recent announcement it seems appropriate to bring this thread up again. Capt. McNaught was the clear winner (amongst a fine and noble selection of candidates).

Is it confirmed that our favourite boy racer will have the honour of Master for the final voyage?

Firstly (and off topic), Leone, sorry I didn't reply. I lost this thread. Sadly, I don't think we met on the Caribbean voyage last year although clearly we both enjoyed the turtles experience. We were on the am cat trip; bucks fizz brekkie and lunch aboard followed by an idyllic hour on a deserted beach. There weren't very many of us but I don't recall any Oz cousins. A Frenchman, Swiss couple and a dreadful Brummie (sorry but he was truly awful). Our loss we didn't met up; some other time who knows?!

Back on topic, given the recent announcement it seems appropriate to bring this thread up again. Capt. McNaught was the clear winner (amongst a fine and noble selection of candidates).

Is it confirmed that our favourite boy racer will have the honour of Master for the final voyage?

Hi Anteeta,

As i have mentiond elsewhere i have just returned from a QE2 Cruise, (The best cruised i have experienced) where Captain McNaught delivered the sad news with Professionalism and humanity. I was privileged to be invited to Captain McNaughts quarters for Cocktails, and even though the Hostess introduced me as Mr Black he greeted me as Gavin, as he did when i meet him the following morning. From the conversation we had i think (and hope) he will be in charge till the end (he deserves this honour)and also i hope he is in charge of most if not all my final Cruises on the QE2.

A true Gentlemen !

Regards,

Gavin :cool:

Hi Gavin, it was your post and comments which prompted me to enquire whether there's actual confirmation as yet re the Captaincy 11/08. Capt McNaught as Master for the final voyage seems to be on the cards............

We're not on board although we had the opportunity to book. It's not a trip we want to take; too many mixed emotions but I'm sure it really will be the voyage of a lifetime and wish all who ar booked a wonderful trip.:)

Anita

Hi Gavin, it was your post and comments which prompted me to enquire whether there's actual confirmation as yet re the Captaincy 11/08. Capt McNaught as Master for the final voyage seems to be on the cards............

We're not on board although we had the opportunity to book. It's not a trip we want to take; too many mixed emotions but I'm sure it really will be the voyage of a lifetime and wish all who ar booked a wonderful trip.:)

Anita

Hi Anita,

I think and hope its fairly much confirmed, im looking foward to the "40th Anniversary Voyage" when Captain Mcnaught will be in charge, ill try some more detective work !

regards,

Hi Anita,

I think and hope its fairly much confirmed, im looking foward to the "40th Anniversary Voyage" when Captain Mcnaught will be in charge, ill try some more detective work !

regards,

I'll definitely be on the waterfront (Wirral side ie to the left as you sailaway!) 21/9 when you leave Liverpool.:) I'll be the one waving the white hankerchief!:) It's going to be a really big day here. Lesley Garrett at the new terminal and the largest firework display in Europe this year planned as part of the festivities. Excited already.

Anita

I'll definitely be on the waterfront (Wirral side ie to the left as you sailaway!) 21/9 when you leave Liverpool.:) I'll be the one waving the white hankerchief!:) It's going to be a really big day here. Lesley Garrett at the new terminal and the largest firework display in Europe this year planned as part of the festivities. Excited already.

Anita

I will look out for you ! :D

I absolutely loved Alan Bennell, I had the pleasure of dining with him on one of my crossings in the eighties, Bennell was very down to earth, very funny. I was sorry to hear of his passing.

But my favorite all time Captain is Ian McNaught, I also hope that he is on the QE2 for the rest of the time she is in service.

But my favorite all time Captain is Ian McNaught, I also hope that he is on the QE2 for the rest of the time she is in service.

Give the man a chance! He has a life outside the ship......

Matthew

I don't think Captain McNaught would mind being in charge of QE2 for the rest of the time that she is in service!! It is obvious to all what he thinks of the ship. However, I see he is getting off on the 24th of July, to be replaced by David Perkins.

I don't think Captain McNaught would mind being in charge of QE2 for the rest of the time that she is in service!! It is obvious to all what he thinks of the ship. However, I see he is getting off on the 24th of July, to be replaced by David Perkins.

I'm not so sure you're right.

Yes - he loves her. But he needs a rest now and again, as we all do. The demands on the Master are sometimes not realised by the average passenger.

And besides, I think others should get a look in.

Matthew

yes but I have been advised that by the time my 28 Oct 2007 cruise comes around his is back onboard - thank god! Capt. David Perkins was onboard for my Autumn Colours cruise last year & without doubt was the 'worst Cunard Captain' I have come across!!!!! He even got the nautical miles completely wrong the first day of our crossing & unlike other Captains rarely made the noon day announcement himself but left it to one of the first officers!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

yes but I have been advised that by the time my 28 Oct 2007 cruise comes around his is back onboard - thank god! Capt. David Perkins was onboard for my Autumn Colours cruise last year & without doubt was the 'worst Cunard Captain' I have come across!!!!! He even got the nautical miles completely wrong the first day of our crossing & unlike other Captains rarely made the noon day announcement himself but left it to one of the first officers!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

What do you think makes a good Master?

He struck me as a very pleasant chap.

It is too easy to decide that one Master is "better" than the others. But the Master's job is not to keep the passengers happy, but to keep the passengers safe. And we just don't see that part.

Matthew

I have only experienced David Perkins as master on one occasion, and that was aboard Caronia. I cannot recognize your description of him. Indeed, I found David, his wife and son all to be courteous and good company in a social context and I have no complaints about his handling of the ship based upon my limited knowledge of such a responsibility.

David

Archived