Sorrento and Pompeii

Hi All,

I am trying to find out the best way to see Pompeii - a friend suggested that we take a train from Sorrento to Pompeii - where exactly is the train station in Pompeii?

Thanks,

Jean

We did it last June and it is no problem. The train leaves about every 30 minutes and you want to get off at "Pompeii Scavi". Walk out of the train station and turn right and walk about a block and turn left and you are at the entrance where you buy you tickets for the Pompeii ruins.

We dock in Naples from 7am to 6pm, and we also want to visit Pompeii. Would it be feasible to take the train from Naples to Pompeii and then continue on to Sorrento to see that city and then take a hydrofoil back to Naples. I've never been to this area, so I don't know if this is possible in our time frame or not. Could someone give us advice on that.

Actually the boat destination is Sorrento and the next day we are in Amalfi.

We dock in Naples from 7am to 6pm, and we also want to visit Pompeii. Would it be feasible to take the train from Naples to Pompeii and then continue on to Sorrento to see that city and then take a hydrofoil back to Naples. I've never been to this area, so I don't know if this is possible in our time frame or not. Could someone give us advice on that.

I would like to make suggestion... I have a wonderful tour guide/driver. His name is Nello and his company is called drive Sorrento. He can arrange for you to visit Pompeii and on the next day he can take you to see the Amalfi coast. He is from Sorrento and knows the area like a native. His English is superb and he is wonderful to spend the day with. I promise you will not be disappointed! He can be contacted at info@drivesorrento.com

Your plan sounds good and it could be worked out but I would do it in reverse. When you get off your ship, you can walk down to the hydrofoil dock and take a hydrofoil to Sorrento. When you get off the hydrofoil you walk over to a little bus ticket booth and then you can purchase a combined bus/train ticket to Pompeii. The bus will take you to the top of the hill to the train station. You can also spend some time shopping in the Sorrento. Then take the train to Pompeii Scavi. This way you are only a train ride back to Naples in the event you run out of time. I did Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii all in one day and still had time left over when we got back to the ship.

Your plan sounds good and it could be worked out but I would do it in reverse. When you get off your ship, you can walk down to the hydrofoil dock and take a hydrofoil to Sorrento. When you get off the hydrofoil you walk over to a little bus ticket booth and then you can purchase a combined bus/train ticket to Pompeii. The bus will take you to the top of the hill to the train station. You can also spend some time shopping in the Sorrento. Then take the train to Pompeii Scavi. This way you are only a train ride back to Naples in the event you run out of time. I did Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii all in one day and still had time left over when we got back to the ship.

Hi -- You mention the distance from the train staion (Pompeii Scavi) to Pompeii. However, how difficult is it to get to the train station in Naples from the port area. I read somewhere that the train station can be difficult to find and that it is also about a 25-minute walk.

Hi -- You mention the distance from the train staion (Pompeii Scavi) to Pompeii. However, how difficult is it to get to the train station in Naples from the port area. I read somewhere that the train station can be difficult to find and that it is also about a 25-minute walk.

Archived