Another San Diego Airport Question

OldCodger73

I tried to do a search on this but received the familiar WSOD.

Anyway the dates for a return flight from San Diego just came within the 330 day window and I have a question. The Ryndam is supposed to arrive in San Diego December 23 at 7AM. I have two choices for a return flight to Seattle that day, either 12:23PM or 3:20PM. From what I think I've read previously, if we're off the ship by 9AM there won't be a problem making the first flight, correct? I realize that the cruise terminal and the airport are relatively close, but always before in San Diego we've been independent touring and had a rental car so this will be a new experience for us.

That 12:23 flight will definitely be no problem. This past November we had a 1:50 flight home when we got off the Zaandam and had several hours to spare at the airport. We are taking the same flight home when we return on the Oosterdam March 24th. Now I know that the Oosterdam has had delayed arrivals but we are flying SouthWest that has another 14 or so flights that day to Las Vegas that I am sure we can change to if something did happen.

You should be able to take the 12:23pm IF:

Airline doesn't change schedule by more than 30 minutes earlier

Ship isn't late by more than an hour

There is no clearance delay by Immigration or Security (at the pier) of more than an hour

There aren't more than two (mid-sized) ships that morning

Christmas passenger levels don't overwhelm the check-in/security process (at the airport)

Fog/bad weather hasn't caused chaos with either in-coming or out-going planes

You have the kind of airline ticket that allows some flexibility if you don't get to the gate in-time (so you could get on the later flight)

You have some kind of trip insurance that would take care of the most likely glitches

Personally, I would book the earlier flight--I hate hanging around the airport at the end of a vacation/cruise. (But, I also travel solo!)

I'm on the Ryndam in Alaska this May and have allowed one day pre-cruise in Vancouver--but I'm booked out of Anchorage 30 minutes after the earliest flight time they advise for returning home.

Hope all goes well for you, and enjoy your anticipation!

I:) agree with previous responders that you should do ok with the earlier flight under normal circumstances that the ship docks on time (and they usually do). That said, I dont think you should overlook that your flight is on Dec 23, the Saturday of Christmas weekend. As such, the airport will be very crowded and there will probably be long lines for check-in. Also because of the holiday weekend, there may be fewer than normal US Customs and Immigration personnel to clear the ship, which could also create a delay. Just think all these factors should be considered.

Archived