History of Noro and cruising

AnthonyD

The more I hear on the news about this or that ship coming down with Norovirus, the more I think cruising could be in for serious financial trouble. I know RCI for one is spending gobs of cash to drive passenger growth. Not to be too alarmist, but my guess is first time people simply won't try cruising if they perceive they'll get sick on board. (Personally, I don't worry because I'm comforted by the low probability of getting sick.)

Any one have any knowledge of the Norovirus history on cruise ships? Have similar microbes swept the the cruise industry in the past? Thanks.

You're not the first to wonder about this. The news comes and goes every year. If it were making any impact, the cruise lines would not be building new ships like they are.

The media has a way of making news seem so much bigger than it actually is. If you watch/read them enough, you would think a lot of us really care about the personal lives of Paris, Lindsay and a lot of others.

Archived