Sorrento and Amalfi

crayonri

Hi All,

We're looking for suggestions as to what to do and when to do it. A friend suggested that we visit Pompeii the first day - go by train - that way you'll be able to get back to Sorrento and maybe visit Capri - is this pushing it? Also, Amalfi - what should one do there? we are uncertain as to whether to take the cruise excursion or go on our own. We are going on the Insignia on June 29th for 10 days.

Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,

Jean

My wife and I are on the same cruise. We've been there before and we love the area. Pompeii is extremely interesting. We've avoided Capri at that time of year because of the crowds. We are thinking of private tours for the Sorrento, and Monte Carlo port calls. I don't think organized tours are necessary for Positano/Amalfi (my opinion). Monte Carlo doesn't take long to see, and I think from there we will go to St. Paul de Vence (amazing), and Cap De Antibbes(sp), plus a couple of other stops for a full day. We will be back in plenty of time for Monte Carlo nightlife, but will probably choose to collapse. Any questions please free to email us.

Larry and Ellen

If your itinerary is Sorrento overnight then Amalfi next day you can go to Capri from sorrento dock (nthe hydra-foil is right there)..and then come back to see Sorrento .

From either place you can go to Pompeii, but I would suggest that you see it in the morning.

It can be a long visit as there is so much to see.

You would be pushing it to try to see Pompeii and Capri on the same day. You can get to Pompeii by train, but check the schedules carefully as the trains do not always run on time .

There are many companies that we who have been there can recommend to you, who do touring. You can hire a private car and get others from your cruise to join you for less than the ship tours.

Those who I would recommend for those areas are:

marcello

http://www.seesorrento.com

and Salvatore

whose email escapes me but someone should post it soon.

Don't forget to walk the streets of Sorrento and particularly during the hours of 5pm to 8 pm during the "Passagasada" (I know I spelled that wrong). That is when people get off work, yet dress up and walk around to shop and greet their friends and acquaintances. The women dress up (in high heels on cobblestone streets) hoping to meet up with the young single men, young couples are out pushing the babies in strollers. Locals are out taking their walks and there is a warmth that is just wonderful to see. And there is no cost to see that. The small shops have wonderful wares to bring home - especially Limoncello in decorative bottles.

I agree with ClaudiaF that seeing Pompeii and Capri the same day would be pushing it. And it would be pushing you to exhaustion, especially since Pompeii will be enervatingly hot. Bring hats, sun protection, and water. As for Amalfi, I recommend seeing Villa Cimbrone in Ravello, which is above Amalfi and reached by bus, but you would be better off looking at any of the good guide books (Frommer's, Fodor, Michelin, there are others) and see what interests you.

Hi, Jean (and anyone else read ing this!)!

My husband and I will also be on the Insignia's June 29 cruise. We can't wait! Join our roll call list. Go to the main boards page, scroll down and click on Oceania roll calls, then click on the Insignia.

It would be fun to have lots of us look forward together and then meet onboard for a drink during the cruise.

Yes, Larry, I know you and Ellen will be there! :) So will Alan and I!

Mackie

A Word To The Wise:

When in Amalfi, please take my word and allow time for a long lunch at the Hotel Santa Caterina in the Restaurant Al Mare. We were there last Spring on "Regatta" and went for lunch. This hotel is not in the seaside village, its up the road (direction of Positano) about a 20 minute walk or a five minute cab ride. The view is STUNNING, the al fresco dining on the patio at lunch is just sublime. Order a couple appetizers to share, some seafood for lunch and a bottle of white wine. Gaze onto the heavenly coast...look left and see the charming harbor of Amalfi...look right and you see Sophia Loren's villa amongst others. Cost is about $65pp with a moderate wine. You will leave feeling Italian La Dolce Vita! Don't just walk in...have the ship call ahead and book a table. +39 089 871012 or on the web at hotelsantacaterina dot it

Cheers,

Eric

Archived