What will we do- no excursions, no taxis, just us walking!

mother2_3

My husband and I (both 29) are traveling with no children on the Carnival Holiday Feb 2nd- the 4 day cruise (in less than a week!). At first we were not even planning on leaving the ship in Cozumel as this is supposed to be a relaxing vacation for 2 burned- out parents of small kids! Then he expressed interest in at least "taking a look around." Where do I even begin to find out what is extremely close to the dock? I'm not even sure what part of the island we come into as Carnival's sight just says "Cozumel, Mexico" and lists all of there very pricey excursions. We would like to walk on the beach, maybe do a little souvenir shopping, mail a postcard, and if there is anything to "see" close by. Oh, and we aren't drinkers, so that's not a big deal for us either. We don't have our heart set on any particular thing to do, just enjoy being in a different place. Thanks so much for any suggestions or advice.

I'm not sure where the Carnival Ships dock - there are two piers in Cozumel I believe. One is the International Pier and I can't remember the name of the other. International Pier is about 3 miles from downtown - there is a small shopping center when you get off the ship and then there isn't much of anything. If you are at the other pier, that is right downtown, across the street from a much larger shopping center, Hard Rock Cafe, Senor Frogs, etc. This shopping area had a lot more stores and things going on than the one right off the ship. We docked at International Pier with RCI's Mariner of the Seas. It was a $6 USD cab ride to downtown.

Have a great time!

You will be tendering into Punta Maya which is south of the main town. We were on the Holiday last Sept and had an alright time. Ship was great but Buba was everywhere even in the dinning room (jeans, farmer johns, shorts, t-shirts) they did not enforce the dress code. You will be taking a tender to the pier which consists of shops and bars. If you want to go to a beach you will have to take a cab. We hire a cab to drive us around and we toured the entire island in around 5hrs ($95) which was great. Other on the ship took booze cruises or drank at the bars or beach clubs. We are going back via NCL Sun at the end of Feb and we're taking the same driver again. Much cheaper than ship excursion and if you can add another couple then its cheaper. If you have an ??'s ask.

Rick

My husband and I (both 29) are traveling with no children on the Carnival Holiday Feb 2nd- the 4 day cruise (in less than a week!). At first we were not even planning on leaving the ship in Cozumel as this is supposed to be a relaxing vacation for 2 burned- out parents of small kids! Then he expressed interest in at least "taking a look around." Where do I even begin to find out what is extremely close to the dock? I'm not even sure what part of the island we come into as Carnival's sight just says "Cozumel, Mexico" and lists all of there very pricey excursions. We would like to walk on the beach, maybe do a little souvenir shopping, mail a postcard, and if there is anything to "see" close by. Oh, and we aren't drinkers, so that's not a big deal for us either. We don't have our heart set on any particular thing to do, just enjoy being in a different place. Thanks so much for any suggestions or advice.

Where you will be tendering to is not the best beach area in Cozumel.There are nice beaches not far and not too much if you want. From your post it sounds like just a stroll through waterfront shops will be nice. Have done this a couple of times and it is interesting to see the bartering that is going on. My wife and I always say we are going to stay on ship but never do. If I was going to stay on ship, Cozumel is not the port I would pick. You can read on these boards from people who do stay on ships at all ports. They say there is no crowds, cheaper salon services, exclusive use of the hot tubs, and no competition for the food. Have a great trip. We also have two little ones and know where your coming from. Go and relax and spend some q.t. together.

We usually take a cab to Panchos Backyard for lunch - fantastic food & drinks. It's located in a courtyard inside Los Cinco Sole, a great gift shop along the beach. Then we walk back toward the ship shopping until we get tired & take a cab back. We sometimes take a cab to Paradise Beach first (around $12 per cab). It's free to get in & a great place. They also have good food and drink. Cozumel is a great place to visit & you don't have to spend a fortune to have a great time. Have fun!

We just got back Feb 3 off Splendour of the Seas. We rented a jeep and drove all around the the island. When you read about the east side "wild side" being absolutely gorgous they are not lying!!!!! We rented from Avis (very nice) drove to a grocery store (Chendraui?) and bought beer an,ice and styrofoam ice chest. Our husbands sat in the back and enjoyed life while I drove(I don't drink). WE headed south checking out the scenery and such. When we got to the south tip, where the road turns north, there is a national park Punta Sur(south point).We didn't stop but I wish we would have. They have a beach, snorkling, lighthouse tours, and swamp tour. Then we haede north stoping every so often to get out and walk down to deserted beaches. No swimming though too rough! We stop at some little place on the left first one we came to and bought souveniers. I got a turqoise necklace for $5.00. Walked across the street and down to the beach. I say down because there are rock cliffs then the beach. We then got back in the jeep and kept heading north. By this time it was noon and we stopped at coconuts to eat. It is up on a cliff. O.K. food i guess! I wasn't impressed. Beautiful view. Right before Coconuts there is another beach cannot remember the name(they are listed in order on cozumelinsider) but it is a small cove so not as rough. After we ate at we continued north to another bend where you had to turn and go back west. We stop at Mezcalitos to potty and browse. On my way to the bathroom I passed by the waiter carrying out Fajitas and OMG they smelled sooooooo good and huge portion! I wish we would have eaten there:rolleyes: . Headed back west.. .wide road with alot of construction. I got on the wrong side one time and joked about the workers whistling at us because we were hot.....only they were whistling because we were on the wrong side of the road:D . There are ruins off this road San Gervasio (pronounced san herbasio).I wish we had time to do this but I was focused on going snorkling. Drove back into town, through town (real town not touristy) and made our way back to Dzul Ha for some excellent snorkling. The guy I rented my flippers from told me to look north at a point that came out and go from there which I did and it was better than any othre time before! I f you have any questions please feel free to ask.I hope this helped!!!!!

We had a great time sitting at a little rooftop bar and grill above the Fiesta Mall shopping center. It is about a 1/4 mile from where you tender in. We first took a cab about two miles up the main road and walked back. Lots of shops...it was very interesting just watching people. We went up the steps to the bar...we could see the ship and watch all the people walking down the street. We had 5 beers, 3 glasses of wine and 2 orders of chips and salsa and the entire tab was 18 bucks. The waiters were very entertaining...there was rock and roll playing and they were having a blast.

Archived