Ships to Alaska for 2008?

OSUBuckly

Hello all. I realize that NCL hasn't released the summer 2008 rates and dates yet, but does anyone know what ships will be making the various routes? This year, it seems the ships are the Sun, Star, and Pearl. Think they will be the same next year? I also heard somewhere about the Gem possibly making some trips up there (just a rumor). If anyone has any inside info, please let us know! Thanks.

You can also be shut out of Glacier Bay by the forest service too, if conditions arem't right. When conditions are right with Sawyer Glacier in Teal Inlet, ths ship literlly comes within arms reach, as the ship turns about, with the glacier calving upon you, a wonderful experience.

The summer's 2008 summer itineraries won't be posted until late May to early June. The summer season is the most profitable for the cruise lines, and all of them hold their cards close to the vest. It seems every year in late July there are two years posted, and in early April there is barely a years worth posted.

As noted in your questions, cruise lines have to choose which ships are going to be repositioned and where. During the summer months ships are repositioned to other more profitable locations, and during the winter months return to the Caribbean. You will notice that the prices are twice as much in Alaska and Europe compared to the Caribbean.

Glacier Bay is a must, Sawyer has nothing. If it is bad weather that day, the ship can't get into the narrow channel leading to Sawyer then you really see nothing.

I agree with cruisequeen. I went on the NCL Spirit in July of 2005 and they went down Tracy Arm to South Sawyer and North Sawyer Glacier. We didn't get close enough to see any calving or even the end of the glacier. If I had it to do over again I'd go to Glacier Bay. I believe the Pearl goes to Glacier Bay out of Seattle. The Sun leaves from Vancouver CA. The Star also leaves from Seattle. Alaska was wonderful and we want to go again. I was disapointed in the Glacier, although the sail to it was wonderful with the green water. They had an tour with a catamaran that took people to the glacier then met the ship at the end of tracy arm and they got back on the ship. I wish I'd done that.

Glacier Bay is a must, Sawyer has nothing. If it is bad weather that day, the ship can't get into the narrow channel leading to Sawyer then you really see nothing.

If you book the "Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer" excursion (probably only available on the Star this year, Sawyer can be amazing. With this you won't even regret not seeing Glacier Bay.

-Monte

I strongly second the suggestion for the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier explorer if you do choose one of the ships that goes to Sawyer Glacier. We did it in June, 2004, and it was by far our favorite excursion we've ever done. It will be available to passengers on both the Sun and the Star. I didn't find the specific dates on the NCL website, but it does stop running around Labor Day. I'm not sure if it's available the first sailings in May either.

As far as ships go, assuming that the same ones will be going in 2008 as are going in 2007, I'd rank the ships in this way:

1) The Pearl -- the only NCL ship that goes to Glacier Bay. Keep in mind, however, that I've already seen Sawyer Glacier and really enjoyed it, but next time I went to see Glacier Bay.

2) The Sun -- advantage of the Sun is that it leaves from Vancouver and does more of the true "inside passage". To me, the scenery in the inside passage, combined with the opportunity to see Sawyer Glacier makes this one almost as good as the Pearl.

3) The Star -- you don't get the inside passage experience that you do sailing from Vancouver, and you don't get to go to Glacier Bay. However, if the pricing was great, any Alaska cruise is better than working!

I strongly second the suggestion for the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier explorer if you do choose one of the ships that goes to Sawyer Glacier. We did it in June, 2004, and it was by far our favorite excursion we've ever done. It will be available to passengers on both the Sun and the Star.

Last year it was available only to those on the Sun (the itinerary the Star will be running this upcoming season). It's good they added it to the Vancouver departures!

-Monte

Archived