Spirit Class

afdds

How so? Seems to be a reasonable request that would be asociated with their normal duties?

On the very first day that guy is pretty busy running crazy accomidating everyone from added pillows, Ice buckets etc. Emptying out the Fridge is something you can do and then just tell him you put it all in the cabinet.

Day one is a long day for these guys as they just kicked out 2900 paks and had to re-do each cabin to get it ready for the next 2900 paks. Its a long day. I usually request only Extra Pillows for Wendy and anything else I wait till the next day.

They usually dont like people messing with the Fridge because they have to take inventory of the stuff in there, if something is missing it comes out of their pockets.

Fred

The two balcony rooms we had on the Legend had mini bars but in both cases neither kept anything that cold. The first time I was disappointed and after reading online that some posters suggested leaving the locked cabinet door open to let the heat from the mini fridge escape but it was no help. The second time we took a collapsable cooler just in case and ended up using it instead of the fridge.

Just our experience but if a paid over three dollars for a beer at a local bar they would get it back at that temperature.

How so? Seems to be a reasonable request that would be asociated with their normal duties?

If it were a refrigerator that someone just left a bunch of stuff in I would agree with you, but it isn't. It is a mini-bar provided by the cruise line for the purpose of providing convenient access to beverages for the passenger and revenue to the line. As such, requesting its contents to be removed for personal use is a special request. A nice tip seems highly in order.

On the very first day that guy is pretty busy running crazy accomidating everyone from added pillows, Ice buckets etc. Emptying out the Fridge is something you can do and then just tell him you put it all in the cabinet.

Day one is a long day for these guys as they just kicked out 2900 paks and had to re-do each cabin to get it ready for the next 2900 paks. Its a long day. I usually request only Extra Pillows for Wendy and anything else I wait till the next day.

They usually dont like people messing with the Fridge because they have to take inventory of the stuff in there, if something is missing it comes out of their pockets.

Fred

Thats what I do. I tell him I will empty and put on the floor under the dresser. No problem for me. Thats why I wondered why you'd tip extra for pretty much nothing extra.

I tip well, but sometimes it seems some people on this board are "tip crazy", at least in my opinion. To each his own to do whatever they want. Just don't think newbies should feel pressured to tip like mad.

If it were a refrigerator that someone just left a bunch of stuff in I would agree with you, but it isn't. It is a mini-bar provided by the cruise line for the purpose of providing convenient access to beverages for the passenger and revenue to the line. As such, requesting its contents to be removed for personal use is a special request. A nice tip seems highly in order.

Thats where we differ. I think general service to my room is part of his/her job (including emptying the fridge, or allowing me to do it). If he does things especially well, or makes my stay more pleasant, I will tip accordingly above the normal allocated tips. But just because he emptys my fridge and brings me a pillow, to me, that doesn't necessarily warrant an additional tip.

Thats where we differ. I think general service to my room is part of his/her job (including emptying the fridge, or allowing me to do it). If he does things especially well, or makes my stay more pleasant, I will tip accordingly above the normal allocated tips. But just because he emptys my fridge and brings me a pillow, to me, that doesn't necessarily warrant an additional tip.

Nothing prevents you from emptying and storing the items yourself. If you do so obviously no tip is in order. If your steward is willing to remove the items it is a special service and an additional tip is in order.

Nothing prevents you from emptying and storing the items yourself. If you do so obviously no tip is in order. If your steward is willing to remove the items it is a special service and an additional tip is in order.

So, in your opinion, if you request an extra pillow, a tip is in order also?

Look, I'm not going to debate you. I'll respond this way; if the extra pillows are in the closet like one finds often in hotels and I want the steward to bring it to me then yes, I would think an extra tip is in order. likewise, If it is a question about me removing the mini-bar items and adding my own or asking the steward to remove them so I can add my own then yes, in the latter case an extra tip is in order.

I don't think it is associated with their normal duties, it is an extra request... and once they remove the items, they become responsible for them... certainly worth a few bucks if you ask them to do something that is not the norm. For crying out loud, their tips really aren't that much, considering they clean the cabins twice a day, refill the ice buckets, replenish towels, etc. Anything above that, it isn't "pressure" to say it is worth an extra buck or two. For those that want to do it themselves, that is fine... but I think some people think the cabin stewards are there to cater to their every whim, and treat them that way as well.

I don't think it is associated with their normal duties, it is an extra request... and once they remove the items, they become responsible for them... certainly worth a few bucks if you ask them to do something that is not the norm. For crying out loud, their tips really aren't that much, considering they clean the cabins twice a day, refill the ice buckets, replenish towels, etc. Anything above that, it isn't "pressure" to say it is worth an extra buck or two. For those that want to do it themselves, that is fine... but I think some people think the cabin stewards are there to cater to their every whim, and treat them that way as well.

Very well said...I wish I had such clarity. ;)

Well, as I stated earlier, I tip very well for above average service, otherwise I tip what is expected. Some on this board seem to feel that extra tipping is required for every little detail. And they preach that to the world.

The steward is paid by the line to perform certain functions. In addition, he gets the $10 per day per guest (or his portion of it anyway). If I ask him to do one thing for me, I don't feel that in itself warrants an additional tip above what I am already providing. Besides, I don't really view asking for an extra pillow to be "above and beyond the call of duty". If there are no extra pillows in the room (or whatever small item I request that I cannot obtain on my own), that would fall in the description of his job as steward.

Some of you seem to think these employees are making slave wages.

But, as I said earlier, "to each his own".

Well, as I stated earlier, I tip very well for above average service, otherwise I tip what is expected. Some on this board seem to feel that extra tipping is required for every little detail. And they preach that to the world.

The steward is paid by the line to perform certain functions. In addition, he gets the $10 per day per guest (or his portion of it anyway). If I ask him to do one thing for me, I don't feel that in itself warrants an additional tip above what I am already providing. Besides, I don't really view asking for an extra pillow to be "above and beyond the call of duty". If there are no extra pillows in the room (or whatever small item I request that I cannot obtain on my own), that would fall in the description of his job as steward.

Some of you seem to think these employees are making slave wages.

But, as I said earlier, "to each his own".

pretty petty stuff...you have a good screen name.

Archived