David and Ivan Tour Operators Do Not Return e-mails!

Minge

There names have come up many times in the Costa Maya forum but my wife and I have tried numerous times to e-mail and call will no sucess. I will be cruising in a couple of weeks with my sister and her husband and this is the ony port we do not have anything set-up yet.

Honestly, it is the only port I am not really looking forward to as there does not seem to be much to do. We are not canned tours poeple. We would like something for just the four of us. We are not anti-social or anything, just independant.

Any creative suggestions? Any sure fire ways to contact these folks?

We requested reservations using the form from their website and they responded the next day. We confirmed by replying to their response. David met us near where the busses leave from the pier, and offered us a drink while we waited for the rest of his reservations to show up. Meanwhile, since he still had availablility he was taking walk up customers to join the group. If you can't get response (their internet has a history of problems) I suggest you go to the area the busses depart from as soon as you can get off your ship and ask for David and Ivan. Someone there will direct you to one of them and you can ask if they can take you as a last minute walk on reservation.

Ivan lives in the village of Chacchoben (his father discovered the ruins). The only internet they have access to is at the community center (1 computer). It is only operable during certain times of the day. He must share it with anyone in his village who wants/needs to use the internet. At times it is not available, due to satellite problems.

Ivan mentioned this is a frustration to him. It's not like he's too busy/lazy to answer the emails, he's just not able to access the internet freely as we are.

Snededor

I reserved for our family of 3 via their website and got a prompt reply to my home email. Later some friends decided to join us on the Splendour sailing 3/31 and this same excursion. To try to add our friends to this excursion, I emailed via my home email (on 1/12) and then again via the website (on 1/26), and am still waiting for a reply. I understand their technology challenges. However, I started to get a little worried, so went on CC to find some more information (and perhaps some assurances) and saw this thread! For those that have taken this tour before, at what point should I be concerned? Is a few weeks delay the norm? What did you think of this tour? We now have a party of 7, including 3 teens, and I want them to all have a good experience. Thanks, SMN

For those that have taken this tour before, at what point should I be concerned? Is a few weeks delay the norm? What did you think of this tour? We now have a party of 7, including 3 teens, and I want them to all have a good experience. Thanks, SMN

I emailed them several times, sometimes got a response right away, other times it took a few days -- but never weeks. Have you considered that your spam filter might be blocking them? The emails I got back came from an address other than the one on the website, and that can fool a spam filter!

The tour is wonderful, and I think the teens will find it awesome! (It is also very educational but you don't have to tell them that ;) ) Check our pics at

The Halls Western Caribbean Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

I reserved for our family of 3 via their website and got a prompt reply to my home email. Later some friends decided to join us on the Splendour sailing 3/31 and this same excursion. To try to add our friends to this excursion, I emailed via my home email (on 1/12) and then again via the website (on 1/26), and am still waiting for a reply. I understand their technology challenges. However, I started to get a little worried, so went on CC to find some more information (and perhaps some assurances) and saw this thread! For those that have taken this tour before, at what point should I be concerned? Is a few weeks delay the norm? What did you think of this tour? We now have a party of 7, including 3 teens, and I want them to all have a good experience. Thanks, SMN

Don't be overly concerned - their email service really is very spotty and with only one available service provider, they can't do much about it.

We went with them in Jan 2006. When I first contacted them I received an immediate response but later around Christmas I had to contact them again and it took several tries (apparently their ISP took an extended Christmas break). If they sent you their phone number, and you are concerned, use the phone.

They are very professional but their local technology is just not reliable.

They met us at the cruiseship docks (at the exit where the taxis are but EVERYONE does know who they are and will give you directions).

The tour was excellent and well worth the effort!

A group of us went in late January on the Chacchoben Ruins Tour with David and Ivan. We had a wonderful time. The initial group was fairly big which made it a bit of a problem trying to hear things on the bus since the microphone was having issues. At the ruins however, they divided us into two groups so we weren’t a huge mob running around. Our guide was Eliu. He was a favorite on our trip. My husband loved the fact that he had a small white board so he could draw out some of the things he discussed: the Mayan calendar, the building structure, the Mayan numbering system.

One word of caution – make sure you know where to meet them. The paperwork we were provided said to meet them at Mahahual, however, they had a bus waiting at the port. Next, our boat was the last of the 3 cruise ships to dock that day so the tour actually left without us. However, some of the other tour groups at the port had David’s cell phone number and the bus waited for us at a gas station while we took a taxi there. That worked out great for us, but I wasn’t sure how the people on the bus who had to wait felt about it.

http://www.chacchobenruins.com

http://www.thenativechoice.com

However, some of the other tour groups at the port had David’s cell phone number and the bus waited for us at a gas station while we took a taxi there. That worked out great for us, but I wasn’t sure how the people on the bus who had to wait felt about it.

We were on the bus that pulled over and stopped to wait for you. Actually it was our second stop. We stopped to wait for David - and then for you. Total time we had to wait was probably less than 10 minutes - not a big deal. I don't think anything could have ruined the tour they gave. Loved it.

I did not get an email from David and Ivan. However, when I logged in to my account on their website thenativechoice.com, there was my confirmation! :rolleyes: On the site it asked if I wanted them to also email me the confirmation...!

If you book through this site you have to register an account, and that's where you can find your confirmation and/or additional information.

I'm looking forward to the trip!

Grand Princess 4/7/07

Archived