Scooter rental in Barcelona

travelteam

Hello again This is your favorite accessible non-paid TA, Hugh. You had told me that you were planning to rent the scooter, but if you rented it in Barcelona for your transAtlantic repositioning, how would it get back to Barcelona?

I assumed you would rent it there on Long Island, fly with it to Barcelona for use there and then use it on the ship and back to home where you would return it. What an I missing? You said Bruce had set you up with a non-stop JFK-BCN flight and all airlines transport scooters with no charge, so that is not a problem.

Incidentally, Barcelona is probably the most accessible city in Europe, having hosted a handicapped Olympics a few years back. There is a site called accessible Barcelona which has lots of info on accessibility of busses and subways and even some restaurants. Make sure that the hotel you stay at precruise is fully accessible; I am sue Bruce can advise you on that too, if he has not already done so. anymore info, I believe you have my home email. If not get back to me here Hugh:)

Hugh,

I was planning to rent the scooter on board the ship in Barcelona, not renting it on LI and then flying with it, then crusing, then flying from Miami back to NY. Seems easier that way. We do travel with our manual wc..........and Walt can use his cane and walk a bit...........does this make sense? It's what I usually do when we travel.

Anyway, Bruce is a doll. He can't believe we talk of him here on the boards. Says RCL doesn't let staff log on to our site..........was clueless how many people he has helped..

I've booked the Apsis Atrium Palace Hotel in Barcelona............HC accessible with a roll in shower..............only bad news is one double bed.........haven't shared a double in years...........but this hotel does come highly recommended for location and accessibility. Never thought to ask Bruce................do you have a recommendation?

Hope you are planning your next trip............you have been home over a month......time to start planning.

Dee

Carevacations - their phone number is 1-877-478-7827. We've been using them the last several years on many different cruise lines. The scooter is always in our stateroom when we arrive, always charged, and always in good shape. Haven't had a problem yet - will continue to keep our fingers crossed.

Our experience has been that the two major rentals of this

equipment will only provide it for a round-trip cruise. Apparently

they don't want the logistics of getting their equipment back from

various ports around the world........

This is no longer true. Carevacations rents for repositioning cruises, and also in Europe. I already made our reservation to have the scooter delivered to our ship (to freeze the cost) and we're all set. I just need to call again 30 days before we leave, and put the cost on my credit card.

If this is a new policy, let's all celebrate. What would we do without having the service available. Not all of us use the scooter for our daily lives (or at least not yet). We're happy to pass this information along.

Yes I did..................unfortunaately, they haven't had call for this before, so, they wanted me to figure out how to get the scooter to the ship. This can be taken care of by RCL, they can arrange a wheelchair accessible transfer. The probem arises with the different electric current. Seems the scooter uses US current, and Carevacation rep couldn't figure out a safe way for me to charge the chair. I did ask about a simple converter, but she wasn't familiar with this. I will call them back, probably next month, get another rep and see if this can be done seamlessly. Would hate to have a bumb scoother for the crossing. The rep couldn't give me a price for having the scooter delivered to the hotel in Barcelona. My gut tells me not to be a test case.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Using these boards I found a company in Barcelona that delivers right to the hotel..............no problem at all. They are Cosmos Scooter and can be reached at www.cosmoscooter.com . Best yet is that Carevacations now delivers to hotels in Europe for pre-and post cruise extensions. Both prices are about the same. We now have choice - Happy Valentines Day Folks.:D

hello Dee,

you have really been doing your homework and now there are a lot of us who have you to thank for being so persistent. It seems only a few short weeks ago before we left on BOS in "your" JS cabin, that we were talking about "maybe " renting a scooter. You have made it easier for a lot of cruisers and let me, on their behalf, say "Thank You" Hugh:)

Archived