Can you copy photos

blueiris

Tried to copy our photos taken by the photographers on the Grand, and we were told that they were copyrighted for 99 years and that I was not allowed to copy them. This was on one of those photo machines were you do it yourself. Does anyone know about this or are we being given a "song and dance!" ?:confused:

No you can't copy those photos as they are coyprighted. I work for FedEx Kinko's so believe me I know the copyright laws. Also even if there is no stamp on the back if it is a professional photo it can not be copyed. If we see someone in self service copying copyright works we do tell that person that they can't make those copies. No you weren't given a song and dance. If I allow someone to make copies of copyrighted works, or make it for them I could loose my job. I hope this helps.

NavySis

But clearly it is obvious to everyone that the old ways and the old ideas of copyright are not feasible in the modern world. You, and everyone else in "business that involve copyrighted media" had better be learning to deal with that or you will go the way of buggy whip manufacturers. Some new approach has to be devised because the old system is crumbling under its own weight. The idea that a photographer owns a picture after he has sold that picture is ridiculous. There is only one profession, the world's oldest, in which you get to keep what you have sold and sell it again.;)

Ouch!:(

While you might find the idea to be "ridiculous" the law is there for very specific reasons. In fact, because of the "modern world" this has become even more important and there have been many recent cases in the courts that have further solidified it. I do not want to take this too off topic but I encourage you to do some research become informed before making such a statement. I'm sure you would expect the same respect if someone was talking about what you do/did.

As far as Princess, I will state again that I think that it is great that they recognize the law and that they also understand the wants and desires of their passengers. They have made everyone happy.

Cheers,

CaptJack

But clearly it is obvious to everyone that the old ways and the old ideas of copyright are not feasible in the modern world. You, and everyone else in "business that involve copyrighted media" had better be learning to deal with that or you will go the way of buggy whip manufacturers. Some new approach has to be devised because the old system is crumbling under its own weight.

I agree that it certainly isn't a perfect system by any stretch, but it sounds like you're saying just because it's "easy" to break the law and not get caught, we have to "deal" with it? Interesting take. :rolleyes:

The idea that a photographer owns a picture after he has sold that picture is ridiculous.

It may be ridiculous to you, but it is the law. I doubt you'll find many professional photographers who would agree with you. The photographer is the one who has the training, experience, talent, and equipment that created the photograph. It's not the picture itself that he or she owns but the right to copy it. He or she should also has the right to decide how that work is used. As mentioned by several posters, Princess freely issues releases so people who have taken advantage of their photography services can copy the work.

Jayne

I agree that it certainly isn't a perfect system by any stretch, but it sounds like you're saying just because it's "easy" to break the law and not get caught, we have to "deal" with it? Interesting take. :rolleyes:

It may be ridiculous to you, but it is the law. I doubt you'll find many professional photographers who would agree with you. The photographer is the one who has the training, experience, talent, and equipment that created the photograph. It's not the picture itself that he or she owns but the right to copy it. He or she should also has the right to decide how that work is used. As mentioned by several posters, Princess freely issues releases so people who have taken advantage of their photography services can copy the work.

Jayne

Very well put and much more eloquent than what I wrote. :p

Unfortunately even some in our own profession often break these laws and use copyrighted music on their websites and/or DVD slideshows.

To MercedMike, I hope you did not take offense to my reply. This is just a contentious topic in the business.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.....;)

Cheers,

CaptJack

I do understand the law and I have followed it (honestly, I have)

But when I paid my wedding photographer 175.00 minimum 4 hours for her incredible photography skills.

THEN

I paid 11.00 per 4x6 photo and I can't make a simple .29 cent copy for my mom it's a little frustrating.

BTW, my avatar came down because someone who knows someone saw it and told my wedding photographer that I was using it. Even though I PAID for that picture.

The wedding photos are so beautiful, but I do feel a little gouged (sp?)

latitude 22,

You paid for the photos, not the copyright to the photos. I know some photographers who will sell you the copyrights, but others won't. I am able to talk to them as I see them at work. As I stated in another post, I don't think any copy shop employee will make the copies because they could loose their job. There have been photographers who have sued copy places because they copied thier photos with out approval from them. I know its fustrating, but as copy shop employees we have to folow the copyright guidelines or risk loosing our jobs.

NavySis

Archived