Sailing on the Summit: Lava flow viewing/Na Pali Coast

HookedAfterOne

I am so excited about seeing the lava flow and the Na Pali coastline from the ship ... Is there a particular side of the ship I should be on to enjoy these sights? Does anyone know what days we will be "cruising" by these sights. I am lucky enough to have a FV aft cabin ... will my balcony be a good vantage point? Any other advice or comments you have will be greatly appreciated!

The Celebrity Summit does not go past the Na Pali coastline of Kauai.

Only the American flagged NCL ships do -- they leave at 2pm the second day so they can see it before sundown.

If your itinerary leaves at 5 or 6 you're not going to see it...

Most ships will turn around at the lava flows so both sides of the ship get a look.

edit: As far as I can tell none of the Celebrity Summit 2007 or 2008 itineraries go to Kauai at all.

You're going to love your trip anyway, hope you extend your stay in a Hawaiian hotel since you have a one way cruise.

We sailed on Summit in September/October last Fall and saw beautiful views of the lava flow from our balcony on the starboard side of the ship. If you try and take pictures, use your night time setting or else you will just get pictures that look like orange UFO's. The lava flows were an incredible site and probably the highlight of the trip!

Archived