First Cruise in November...Packing question

Spiritedmom

I have not been on NCL but most lines claim irons are a fire hazard. If you are running on the budget side and can't accept the previous recommendations (which are best), try hanging your clothes in the bathroom and running the shower on hot to get a steam up and dewrinkle your clothes. :)

Since you are cruising in November, you need to get all of your summertime stuff now while it's available. In November you won't find swimsuits, water shoes, sandals, flipflops, or sun hats in your local department stores.:( It will be all winter stuff and you will be stuck paying high prices at specialty stores for snorkeling or swimming. :( Our first cruise was in the winter with our kids. Unfortunately, our kids had outgrown their sandals from the previous summer and we needed more. But Wal-Mart and the other department stores had all winter stuff. :eek: So now when we cruise in the winter months with our kids, we always get a pair of sandals for each child at least a half size larger and put it away for the cruise. :) We also stock up on stuff like sunscreen, water shoes, sun hats, and flipflops. You just won't find that stuff around in November when you plan on cruising.

Thank you for the helpful ideas. I have begun to look for clothes, but I had not considered the essentials like sunscreen.:eek: I really love this board and have seen so many great ideas. If it's true that planning the trip is half the fun I am surely going to O.D. when I get on board the ship. I can't wait til November:D

I could swear that the ship had an iron and board that I used one time. Called and they brought it to the room for me. That was like the first cruise though. Since then if there's something that's gotten wrinkled I send it out to be pressed the first day so it's back in time for when I need it. They only charge half the cost of dry cleaning to press only which isn't too bad in a pinch. Have learned how to pack better over the years too to avoid it. Have fun!

I don't know about NCL or your particular ship, but many ships now have laundry rooms on nearly every deck, where irons and boards are available (you can't take those to your cabin, though).

A packing tip I learned some years ago really helps: hang each outfit individually on a wire coat hanger, then cover it in a dry cleaning bag. Then drape each outfit, allowing parts to hang over the edges of the suitcase. The final step is to fold in the edges, piece by piece. This process uses each article of clothing as padding for another, reducing wrinkles and definite creases. It also offers the benefit of making unpacking incredibly quick and easy—simply take the outfits out of the suitcase and hang them in the closet. When packing to go home, throw out the bags and hangers to make more suitcase room for souvenirs.

And take Downy Wrinkle Release just in case. :)

Archived