Four in an inside cabin: Is it insane?

Globeguy

My wife and I are looking at a 15 day cruise on the Spirit with two little kids. One will be almost four; the other will be 1 1/2.

We will be travelling with my parents and two sisters, so we'll have lots of help.

But we're wondering if we'll go mad in our inside stateroom, since the younger one will be back in the room for afternoon naps, etc.

How does the third bed work? Is there room for the playpen so it's not totally in the way?

We've cruised before (with NCL and HAL), including a trip with a one year old in a playpen, but we're worried that with two on such a long cruise we'll be so cramped it won't feel like a holiday.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think you will find the Spirit cabins a little smaller than most ship cabins. There are, however a few cabins on the Spirit that are larger than the others. A quick look at deck layouts gives me rooms: 4477, 4475, 4485, 4483, 5035, 6535, 6835, 9207, 9203, 9703, 9205, 9551, 9051, 10611. These are all larger than the average inside.

You did not mention how soon you are traveling, so most or all may be gone. I would check with a TA and see if any are available.

A "normal" inside cabin is do-able, but the playpen would worry me just a bit...

All that said, if it was the only way I could do the cruise, you bet I'd do it, no matter if it was the broom closet!:D Your kids are young and will have no trouble with the cozy layout.

We cruised the Spirit in Nov. with four adults in one of the large inside cabins. (My MIL had a scooter) It was tight for 10 days, but we made do since it was the only way she could afford to come along.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the beautiful Spirit!

We were on the Spirit last March and had 4 in a cabin. It was fine. What I would do in your case is to ask the room steward to remove the chair/sleeper to make room for the pack & play. If your cabin is like ours you'll have the two lower beds, one upper that comes out of the wall/ceiling and a chair that folds out into a bed. So at night you'll actually have more room with the pack & play rather than if the chair/sleeper is out. One thing we did for the kiddo who was sleeping in the upper bunk was to bring a portable bed railing along from Safety First, we bought it at Walmart and it worked great. No one fell out of bed on our last four cruises and it folds up flat in your suitcase

I have 9203 booked on the spirit for May.This room is 190 sq ft compared to the standard 149.we are also traveling with a 5 and 2 year old.we usually get a balcony so when the kids are sleeping we can sit out,but the spirit won't do 4 in a balcony.Call ncl or your TA and see if any of the above mentioned rooms are available.

We were 4 adults in a cabin, but I think it had a window. We were fine. We alternated bathroom privileges for getting ready, but with two yougsters, that shouldn't be an issue.

I would worry about a 3 year old in an upper berth, but then I worry about everything. I believe they'd be safe as far as the railings are concerned, it's just if the little one wakes and wants to get down on his or her own. That would worry me.

I would do mom and dad up top and babies down below.

My wife and I are looking at a 15 day cruise on the Spirit with two little kids. One will be almost four; the other will be 1 1/2.

We will be travelling with my parents and two sisters, so we'll have lots of help.

But we're wondering if we'll go mad in our inside stateroom, since the younger one will be back in the room for afternoon naps, etc.

How does the third bed work? Is there room for the playpen so it's not totally in the way?

We've cruised before (with NCL and HAL), including a trip with a one year old in a playpen, but we're worried that with two on such a long cruise we'll be so cramped it won't feel like a holiday.

Thanks in advance for any help!

My wife and I and our 2 kids (age 11 and 8 at the time) were in an inside cabin on the Spirit for a 7 day last summer. Our cabin was 149 sq.feet, I think it was cabin 5053. It was very tight for the 4 of us with the 3 lower beds and one upper. We would not cruise in a cabin like this again.

We had the opportunity to look in 5035, one of the larger inside cabins. It was much bigger and we would have been fine in that cabin. I am assuming that the other larger insides would be about the same. Try to get one of those! If we go on the Spirit again, we would look into one of the larger inside cabins.

This was our 3rd family cruise. On the Majesty, the beds were two upper and 2 lower. This gave us much more space. My wife and I have been on 6 other cruises without the kids and usually book the most economical cabin so we really are not that picky.

The cruise was great, the cabin for the 4 of us was not. However, we made the best of it.

The problem is that your family will be spending more time in your cabin than the average family. Young children need down time. Young children take naps and go to bed much earlier than the rest of us. You will be in the cabin much more than the average passanger. In addition you are going to have all the baby gear with you which takes up way more space. You probably still need the pack and play, the stroller, the toys, a big package of diapers, lovie's, etc. I know with my family we would be miserable in one room.

Think thru the evening rituals. You will put the kids to bed at say 7:30pm THEN WHAT? You or dh will have to sit quietly in that tiny room crammed full of stuff. If you had an adjoining room or a suite you could at least go to the other side and turn on the tv or the light and read.

I vote for getting either a suite or a second cabin - adjoining cabins if the ship has them.

Archived