Carnival's Private Island Beach Break

newtocruising99

Hi there,

We are trying to decide what caye or beach to go to once in Belize. All's we want to do is bake in the sun on a nice beach (with chairs)...also must have a bar/restaurant. We would also like to include a bit of shopping, but from what I understand there isn't much shopping in Belize? We are looking at Bannister Island or Caye Caulker. We also noticed that Carnival has a private island beach break tour which seems reasonable. Does anyone know the name of the island that Carnival goes to? Which would you recommend? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pam

Carnival's Private Island Beach Break goes to Bannister Island. I'll be gald to answer any questions you have. Here is what I wrote in another post recently about our excursion there:

We did Bannister Island on our Miracle cruise last March. It was a Carnival excursion (Private Island Beach Break); we were picked up by a tender right at the ship and taken to the Island ~ about 20 – 30 minutes by boat. There were other cruise lines there using the Island that day as well.

We had a fun day on Bannister Island. There is an open-air restaurant/bar with a roof. Clean bathrooms. Plenty of lounge chairs on the beach. The beach is nice, and there is a swimming area roped off that is good sized. Not terribly deep, we went all the way out to the ropes and the water was about neck-deep out there. The water was nice a warm. It was a little cloudy and windy the day we were there, but still nice.

Waitresses came by our lounge chairs and took orders of drinks and/or food all day and would bring it out to you in the lounge chair. We had some chicken strips that were quite tasty. The menu isn't huge, but they offer hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, bar-b-q chicken, etc.

There are float mats that you can use for free. They have kayaks and paddle boats that you can rent, for an extra fee.

If you want to read more about our day on Bannister Island, click my Miracle review link below my signature.

Pam, the Beach Break through Carnival was around $40 per person, and we each got a free rum punch. Looking at my Shore Excursion Price List from our Miracle cruise in March 2006, the Beach Break is $42.00 ($38 for kids). You can also get the same tour with use of a kayak or pedal boat for $55 per person.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and book through Carnival, simply because the tour will pick you up straight from the ship and take you out to the Island and then bring you back to the ship. If you do a tour on your own, you will have to take a tender from ship to the Belize dock (about a 15-20 minute boat ride), which is the opposite direction from the Island. Then, you would have to find a tour and go from the dock to the Island (probably 45 minutes or so). Getting back, you would have to go all the way to the dock and then catch a tender from there back to the ship.

It might be cheaper to do it on your own, but going through Carnival will save you quite a bit of time.

Any other questions ~ feel free to ask! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Pam: Does the Island have a kids play area as stated in Carnival's description? If so what does it consist of?

We went to Princess Cay last year & the kids part would be hard to beat.

To be honest, I didn't pay any attention to the kids play area, because my "kids" were 21 & 23 at the time! ;)

I have noticed other reviewers talk about a play area, though, so I do believe there is one there. I think I remember someone said it had swings and maybe a few other kiddie toys. Sorry ~ not much help for you. :)

Hello newtocruise,

Please, please, please....book a beach excursion through the cruise line- whatever the cost! We just got back from our RC cruise and we thought we would simply find a public beach on our own. There are only "excursion guides" at the pier, no taxis. For $50, we got in an unmarked car with this guide who took us to what he said was "Cucumber Beach; the best beach in Belize". Upon getting there it is not a beautiful beach like the picture they show you. It is a dump! You are basically swimming in a marina with dirty green water that honestly smelled like sewage. We stayed for 10 minutes and got the hell out of there. I have never been so disappointed. I wish I could say I am exaggerating but I am not.

momofzeke,

Thanks for your review about Bannister Island. I'm going to be in Belize on the Glory the 13th of March and after doing some checking around I decided to go with Carnivals shore excursion there for the same reasons you have already talked about. I like the fact that your leaving from your ship and not going into Belize then taking a water taxi to the island. Could you tell me if they offered a price for a buffet style meal or did you have to pay as you ordered your meal? Also do you know if they offered any type of snorkeling tour once you were there or was that something that had to be booked through a tour type company from the island? Any info. you can give will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim, there was no buffet offered at Bannister Island when we were there. We just ordered off the menu when we were ready to eat. Like I said, the menu isn't huge, but I think most folks could find something they like. The food was good.

I don't know about the snorkeling, because we did snorkeling at Grand Cayman, so weren't looking to snorkel in Belize. I thought I read on another thread here on the Belize board that someone did go out to the reef and snorkel from Bannister ~ maybe look around for that thread. My Price list for shore excursions doesn't mention a snorkel for Bannister Island. You can get just the Beach Break, or you can pay a little more and have kayak or pedal boat included in the price.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. :)

Question...?

I see from your review that with a Carnival purchased excursion, you are on their time. I have always hated that and am hesitant to book because of that. I would prefer to spend more time at the beach and relax....not worry. I have read that if we tender then take a water taxi, we are basically backtracking to get back.

But at the same time I would be free to leave the ship and come back whenever I wanted. I could also go to other beaches.

Do you know what the price is per person to use the water taxi? Do you know the time frame required to get to Cayes?

Thanks anyone!!

Archived