Legend NYC or Destiny San Juan???

KerCar

Hello!

I'm trying to decide between sailing on the Legend out of NYC (St. Thomas, San Juan, Tortola) or the Destiny out of San Juan (Dominica, St. Thomas, Barbados, Aruba). I was leaning towards the Legend b/c it's a newer ship and I wouldn't need to fly, but the Destiny has an awesome itinerary and is about the same price, even with the plane ticket. Just wondering if anyone has sailed both and has any opinions. Thanks!!!!!

I have done The destiny Southern Caribbean Twice. It is my favorite. The beaches in barbado's and Aruba are great. The Legend is a beautiful ship.( I have sailed the Pride ,which is basically the same ship. Same class) on the southern caribbean you will already be in Puerto Rico and are going to St Thomas,so the only Island you will be missing is Tortola,.... Decisions :) ,Decisions:) . Destiny is older,but still a greart ship...

Thanks for the advice!

Mr. Pete: Other than the additional travelling and extra day you get on the Legend, are there any other major differences worth noting on the two ships???

Soco: If your husband doesn't like to fly, the Legend is a great choice! I went to St. Thomas and Puerto Rico on a previous Carnival cruise and had a blast! Just keep in mind that August is right in the middle of hurricane season. Two out of the three years I lived in North Carolina we had really bad hurricanes in mid August. Good luck!

Mr. Pete: Other than the additional travelling and extra day you get on the Legend, are there any other major differences worth noting on the two ships???

If I was to simply compare the two ships, the Legend wins hands down. It is a Spirit class ship, which I like much better than the Destiny class, easier navigable, less crowded, better diversified. The Destiny is the most sterile of the three Destiny class ships, of which , IMHO, the Triumph is the nicest decor wise.

I have sailed both ships, although we took the Legend out of FLL. I like the Legend better, but love the Destiny's itinerary. Given a choice, money being about equal, I'd go on the Destiny. :)

We've been on each one twice.--I liked both them about the same--the Destiny has always been known as THE fun ship--

I would make my decision based on the itinerary--as you can see below, we're partial to the southern.You can't go wrong on this choice.

I will add that I have done the southern Caribbean twice simply for the itinerary, without regard to the ship or even price. I remember the demand was very high when the Tropicale was replaced with the Fascination, and the premium we paid for outside cabins. Just a year later the price dropped dramatically, and then I believe the ship was replaced with the Inspiration.

When the Destiny was put there, and we could have a balcony (for half the price what we paid for that outside room on the Fascination)., we couldn't resist one more visit. The airfare was a bit steep, and we searched, but found nothing.

Our Fascination cruise included stops at St. Thomas, Gualaloupe, Grenada, Caracus, Venezuela, and Aruba. Fell in love with Aruba.

Our Destiny cruise included stops at St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Curacao, and Aruba. Found those to be better ports, and got to Aruba once again.

Hope some of this helps. I see the itinerary has been altered yet again.

I guess my decision will depend on whether I want a better ship or a better itinerary! From what you all have to say, it sounds like either way I'll have a great time!

More questions about the Destiny:

Has anyone sailed her recently? What has your experience been? (positive and negative)

What are the stats on the passengers:

Average age?

More families or couples?

Mostly Americans or foreign passengers?

How far is SJU airport to the pier?

What is the best way to travel between the two?

Right now I think I'm leaning more towards the Destiny, but by tomorrow I might be back to the Legend again!!!! I think my final decision is going to depend on the info. I receive from this board! Thanks again:)

To me, sailing a Caribbean itinerary out of NYC, at *any* time of the year, is sheer lunacy (don't get me started on NCL's insane Dawn winter sailings). Wasting all that time "getting there and back" is just that, a waste.

Here's a compromise to think about: Adjust your plans a month or so and take the Legend on the 8 day Southern itinerary out of FLL. This gets the ship you seem to prefer plus most of the itinerary. That's what we opted for.

Archived