Anyone trying stretching Spanx?

Gingee

I ordered Spanx product on ebay. I received mine and my weight is within the guidelines but it is a little snug. Has anyone tried stretching this material? I don't want to rip it but I was wondering if there is any trick to doing something like this.

Thanks

I think they are supposed to torture you. I bought one several years ago, and it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever put on. After reading on these boards how wonderful everyone thought they were, I decided it must have been too small so I ordered another one in the next size. This is still the most uncomfortable thing I've ever had on, and its not that tight, so I don't think going up another size will work. But, if you stretch it too much, it won't do what its supposed to do. I know its supposed to be tight to hold you in, but Lord, I am too old for this. It reminds me of the girdles we wore when I was in high school.

They do make your pants look better, but I don't know if I can wear it all day.

I think they are supposed to torture you. I bought one several years ago, and it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever put on. After reading on these boards how wonderful everyone thought they were, I decided it must have been too small so I ordered another one in the next size. This is still the most uncomfortable thing I've ever had on, and its not that tight, so I don't think going up another size will work. But, if you stretch it too much, it won't do what its supposed to do. I know its supposed to be tight to hold you in, but Lord, I am too old for this. It reminds me of the girdles we wore when I was in high school.

Oh, Nasmas, Thank You for saying that! I thought I was the only one who hated Spanx. I, too, remember panty girdles. I swear they used to make me sick because they were so constricting. But, I digress...

I have been wearing Spanx pantyhose (I think they are called "All the way" and they provide adequate smoothing without the pain and torture of trying to dance my way into the panties. By the time I am in them, I am in agony. The pantyhose are at least maneuverable for me, but they are very pricey. I bought a bunch on sale at Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in the summer and also on the spank website. I used some discount code from Lucky magazine and saved 20 or 30 %.

--Judy

I had bought these because they were the only thing that I could think of to buy to go under a dress I am wearing for my daughter that doesn't show the panty lines. I am not doing it to hold anything in. I don't know if I can wear this for hours though. Any other underwear out there that doesn't kill you and doesn't show panty lines?

I haven't found any. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who hates these things. I've got them on today, and there are no panty lines, but there are lines around my knees, I can see thru my pants. They seemed to have bunched up on me. The ones I bought are called "Higher Power" I swear I will never wear these again. I'd rather go back to the girdle. I used to like the Bali Skimp Scamp Panty for no lines, but the last few I bought didn't seem to work too well. Maybe its not the panty. Maybe its my changing body (I haven't gained any weight, it has just shifted, if you know what I mean)

If you absolutely can't return the product, you can try washing them in hot water and putting them in the dryer. Can't get worse can it?

I've bought items called 'Barely There' from the One Hanes Place catalog that are much more comfortable. Here is a link http://www.onehanesplace.com You can order online, by telephone or mail.

I tried Spanx and found them to be completely useless....I cannot tolerate panty lines and they all create lines...no matter the size. I, too, have no need to "hold anything in', but I do have a couple of little black dresses that look best with either no underwear (not an option, well...usually ;) ) or undies that create absolutely no lines. I have two solutions I found a panty made by Flexees, it has lace trimmed legs, and fits me very smoothly...no lines anywhere. And I am a size 6, but wear a Large in this panty. And last year I found panties make by Maidenform called One Fab Fit...I wear the hipster style...and there is NO line. None. The band is made in a way that it lays flat, and does not cut into the flesh at all. Again....I wear a 7 best in these, which translates to a large. I can wear a 6 too, but prefer the 7 for a line-free look.

I know every "body" will take a different fit, but just thought I'd let you know what I found that works for me.

My daughter got a pair of fake spanks at Walmart for $6.00 and swears by them and I saw a similar thing at Target for $15.00. If you watch Oprah the developer of Spanx first started out by cutting the legs off her control top panty hose. I haven't decided which route to go but for sure I'm not buying spanx. Also remember on ebay you pay shipping and have to add that to your price to see if you're getting a deal or not.

I've heard about Spanx but have never tried them. I actually LIKE girdles :eek: so I didn't think they'd do what I want.

As for the panty line question, either thongs or, like the creator of Spanx I always did the 'cut the pantyhose' thing. Worked just fine. Control top smoothed me out, I could cut them as long or short as I wanted, got that nice 'silky feel' under dresses and gowns, and still wear strappy sandles. One caveat...don't cut them TOO short..they'll ride up to the top of your thighs. Extremely uncomfy!

As for the panty line question, either thongs or, like the creator of Spanx I always did the 'cut the pantyhose' thing.

Not sure what kind of pantyhose you can cut, and not have it roll and bind. How do you avoid "runs" when you cut it? In any case, doesn't sound like a very sexy look! :D And as far as thongs go, I'm in that camp that cannot stand anything crawling up my you-know-what!!!:eek:

Oh gosh, I tried those things one ONCE and once only, when I bought a slinky dress at Macy's. I was worried my tummy was looking too lumpy so the salesgirl brought me a spanx thing. Great, now my lumps have migrated to just underneath my boobs! :eek: NOT an attractive look. I figured, I have to live with the lumps, they may as well at least be in a natural place!

As for the no-panty line thing I've heard that (and have been experimenting with) the boy shorts undie style ... They're cut smoother and the "line" part moves further down and isn't noticeable. Look for a really smooth style without lots of add-ons.

Wore Spanx at my son's wedding of course under a dress and I nearly knocked myself out during a bathroom call.Felt like a whole new woman when I got home and hauled them off!

Might be good Sailorgirl but I really don't care anymore if anyone sees my panty line .... and I don't care about theirs!:)

No .. the boy shorts are the ones that look like little hot pants .... instead of cutting across the butt, they come just under it ... and lower on the side of the hip ... the side hits right where the thigh meets the hip. Look in the lingerie dept anywhere or search online and you'll see the style. Also pretty hot in bikini bathing suits right now too.

I wear them probably 3 times a week and am happy and relatively comfortable. They're certainly less comfortable than big old granny panties, but better than panty lines!

I buy the original Spanx, or Spanx brand's lower-end styles sold at Target. They tend to loosen up a bit after a few washings (I wash mine in cold water and drip dry).

If you wash elasticized items in hot water and throw them in the dryer the elastic will lose its give, but you may not get more than a wearing or two out of them. Some elastic, such as spandex, may shrink in a hot dryer before it eventually fails.

The chief difference between Spanx and other brands is the way they treat the end of the leg on the thigh. Other brands I have tried have a big leg band with less give, so they leave a big mark on your thigh. The woman who designed Spanx started out by cutting the legs off of her pantyhose, then worked to find a way to get the legs to stop rolling up.

The only reason I pay attention to anyones panty lines is because it is mentioned by so many on this board and in the media.

I've seen too many women wearing thong underwear that show.....thong underwear lines. Too many women who you can tell just didn't bother with underwear at all, that just grosses me out for some reason :rolleyes:

I have a couple pair of Spanx and I learned to buy them big, bigger than you think. If not, the leg part shows a line on your thigh and the rest of it squeezes you to death. But, the larger size than you think you need isn't uncomfortable at all.

What I like to do most of all is to buy clothes that don't cling so much to my backside, so I don't have so much of a concern about it.

So odd, it shows that I posted to this thread, but I cannot see my post :rolleyes: :confused:

Anyway, not many people have commented on whether or not they have tried to stretch Spanx. Other than the post about washing and drying them (and ruining them), I don't think there is much to do.

What I would probably do in your case, short of ditching these (can you return them?) and buying a larger size, is to wear them the day prior. I'd wear them around the house, over a pair of underpants and not wash them, perhaps that would stretch them a bit for the "big day", so you won't feel so squeezed.

My original post (wherever it is in cyberspace) I stated that I returned mine for a larger than I thought I would ever need size. I got mine at Nordstrom, they have an annual sale price on them at a certain time every year, so I'll buy them then.

Okie Dokie, now that I have posted this message, I now finally see my other post! I had refreshed my computer probably 3 times before I posted the second message, dang boards are acting up again!

I am thinking about getting some, the footless ones that are in the nylon style, just waist to mid calf....maybe I will order the next size up and only plan on wearing them thru dinner, LOL....I hate torture devices !

I always find that "control" anything makes me look worse by pushing all the fat up and over the waistband. I've tried the ones that go all the way up to your bra but they tend to roll down. Now I just deal with my lumps. As for avoiding panty lines, I really like the Jockey "no panty line promise" line..they feel like you have nothing on, and I don't have lines with them (of course, I have a flat butt, so I don't know what they look like on someone with a fuller derrière). They run $16 each here in Canada.

Archived