Does anyone know the cost of sending and receiving an e-mail from the ship?

motherchic

I know the internet was very expensive but when i cruised two years ago I would send an e-mail home every evening and the kids would write back (on one combined e-mail) I remember it was a $1- something per. It was a great way to communicate home. Does anyone know what the going price is now?

Many thanks

Nadine

There was a thread the other day, something like .75 cents per minute which works out to a mind blowing $45 an hour, and with the slowness, watch out.

The better bet at least in Mexico is about a $1 per hour. So depending where your going, off the ship is way cheaper and tons faster.

Does anyone know what the going price is now?

Many thanks

Nadine

It is $2 for the first 100 kilobytes and $1 for the next 100 kilobytes up to a maximum of 2 megabytes. Same price for incoming e-mail.

If you compose it offline and then go online to send it you can save valuable minutes.

See http://www.celebrityatsea.com/index.aspx?value=5 for more info.

If they charge you for the time you are logged on to the webmail provider, you would have to pay $0.75 per minute to compose the letter! Much better to compose the letter offline and then copy-and-paste it once the meter is running.

I think the ship's email would be good for people who do not have a laptop and just want to send a daily email. There can be one designated recipient back home who can then forward the message to all other interested people.

A wireless-enabled laptop combined with a non-web email account is ideal. You can use the laptop for digital photos, music, and for writing. Using Outlook, you can send mail while offline, and they will sit in the outbox until you connect. Once online, regular mail should upload and download pretty fast. Beware if you attach a photo, that could take a while to transmit, but plain text should go pretty fast. And if someone sends you an email with a big attachment, that could take a while to receive.

There is a way to tell Outlook to download only the mail "headers", which is just the subject, from, size, etc, but not body or attachments. That way you can decide which mail you want to pay to download!

Thanks guys. Last time it was a cost per e-mail. Which for me was very effeciant to write home- now if its per time logged on etc.... OUCH ! I will absolutely have to check before i start. Plus it always takes me a tad longer has i have been weaned on a MAC---so I am always a tad slow on a PC.

Archived