Canada/New England Aug/Sept 2007

Hello All,

I am currently looking for a cruise for my 20th wedding anniversary in August. I am very interested in the Canada/New England out of New York but I'm wondering about the weather in August or September. My husband wants "warm and snorkeling" I want scenery. Can anyone fill me in on the weather, water temp, etc. I'm also leaning towards New England/Canada d/t Hurricane Season. I've heard in some reports the sea is rough out of New York towards Bermuda and the Carribbean. How about towards New England?

I'm also wondering about the Norwegian Spirit. I've been reading the reviews and I'm not exactly liking what i'm hearing.

I took my first cruise in May 05 on the Sensation out of New Orleans and it was ok for a first cruise but I want to take a step up for this one. I actually want one of the big ships with the whole kit and kaboodle but the couple we are planning to travel with won't fly so I'm limited by ship and destination, as I live in IL and the closest port is 12 hours away.

One thing I really want on the ship I chose is a Movie Theater. I haven't heard anyone mention anything about the Cinema on board, although the ship lists having one. Can anyone tell me what kind of shows they run? If they change during the trip? If it is worth planning my entire trip for this ammenity only to be disappointed afterwards.....

Thanks for any advice/information you can give.

Sailing Somewhere August/September 2007

Becky

My DH and I have sailed out of New York to Canada and New England twice. Once on the Grand Princess and once on the Queen Mary 2. Both times in October. The weather was great in some ports and kind of iffy in others. The scenery can be beautiful. We enjoyed both trips and what we did was different each time. However it is not snorkeling weather at all. We had fog out of New York in 2004 and some rough seas on the Queen fall of 2006 but we really didn't feel much movement either time.

Many ships show movies during the afternoon at sea or early evenings, often in the theatre. Sapphire Princess did spring 2006; Holland did on the Zandaam and the Queen Mary offers first run movies in their Planetarium. I would think you could check whichever ship you decide on to be sure.

Princess would be a good choice...we have enjoyed all our cruises with them. The food and entertainment are very good. We also thought the experience of sailing on the Queen Mary was terrific. It is a huge ship but we never felt we were part of a crowd (except on the day of special sales at the boutiques!)

I live in the Chicago area and the biggest problem I see after you decide where to go is getting to the port city. I could give you info on flying into NY or Ft Lauterdale but we have never driven to any of the prots although my husband would like to. Congratulations on your 20th! We are approaching our 35th and trying to decide on a cruise for this summer or fall. Have a wonderful time on your special trip.

Archived