Mazatlan: Victor's

Editor

Victor's is just a Palapa type restaurant on the beach....nothing fancy. The beach was nice and uncrowded. Lot's of rays in the water so swimming wasn't at the top of my list. There were A LOT dead ones on shore too. Even if they don't sting or bite, there was too many to want to flop around in the ocean with for my liking....cool to watch in the waves though.

The food at Victor's is good. It's made in their little beach kitchen, clean and fresh. Shrimp is specialty. Guacamole was yummy. It's a nice place to spend a very relaxed day, sip some beer and enjoy the sun. Victors and Stone Island gives you a taste of authentic Mexico...worth a trip.

• 4 weeks later...
The beach left a lot to be desired which means we won't be going back to Stone Island, very dirty and the ocean water was brown.

Was this recently? We were there in 2004 and DH remembers is being dirty. However, when we were there earlier this year it was much cleaner. We love Stone Island and can't wait to go back Christmas week.

We were there last April and the beach was beautiful, the water clear and warm. We had a blast. Victors was crowded. We had great food and drink at the palapa just before Victors. Sorry, can't remember name, but included beach chairs, boogy boards, hamocks, great shrimp & cervezas. Laurie

Gosh, this is the first I've heard about the beach being less than inviting. All the posts I have read say how beautiful it is/was. Maybe the problem was due to the time of year you were there...hard to say. I'm from the desert, so I'm certainly don't know much about the ocean! We are booked for Randi's Happy Horses in May. She said May is a great swimming month and to make certain we brought what we needed to have a great day at the beach. Should be interesting.

Hello Suz we have ridden together before and hope to again when you come in December and between the both of us hope Morriscats will join in.

People that do not live in beach areas need to remember that everything has a time and a season. Maybe dating myself but remember the Mama's and the Papa's song.

There are times there are starfish on the beach, there are times there are bat rays on the beach, there was a time, sadly enough that a whale beach itself on the beach and the life guards from Mazatlan, stationed at Victor's restaurant had to go and drag it out of sight of tourists and bury it using a back hoe.

There is a time for everything and if those thing are offensive to you because you are city people then you should only go to the golden zone where you will not be exposed to things like that because the Island is it's own little world, and a wonderful world it is in it's simplisity and understanding of the way the real world works.

Just a thought and if you decide to go to the Island and are a bit worried about things like that and then go looking for sea shells, remember, they were alive once too.

Gotta put things in perspective and have a good time and enjoy the difference. It's a great place to go!!

And the beaches are clean of people trash, except for Easter week. Marine things, well that would be a different issue.

Go to the Island and enjoy 15 miles of undeveloped beach because it may be one of the only ones to last for the next 10 years.

I sure do.

Scruffers

Hey Scruffers! Looking forward to it too! I hope Morriscats does join us on the Pride. What a great week this will be!!

Like I have mentioned a ton of times... I can't imagine going to Mazatlan and not making the trip to Stone Island. I can't wait to take DD... a little piece of authentic Mexico! See you on the ship!

Great Photo's Iggy:) The beach shot is stunning and the shrimp platter looks just like I remember it.

A big yes on SELL SELL SELL: I'll send good thoughts your way so we can be together in December. Keep working on it Suzie!!! We should be able to get it done along with Morriscats:D I can use SELL SELL SELL, as a what do you call it? A mantrom or something like that.

Girls, we all know Randi will make it thru somehow.:eek: I'm guessing she'll give us a run for our money. With the plus of Tony and Lulu.

Editor,

Stone Island beach is exactly like Iggypolka's photo. It's about 15 miles and undeveloped. Just coconut trees, a plantation and beach.

It is easy to get to and there are 2 ways to go. I prefer, as we do with Randi, taking a taxi to the main dock. Go across in a little boat, I think it's about $2 bucks round trip, it has gone up, Randi said. On the Island side you can take an open air taxi or whatever to the beach and Victor's is a short walk or if the beach is good, they will let you off right in front of Victor's. I've seen people do it and if the beach is really sandy, it's fun to watch some of the little trucks get stuck in the sand. At least I think it's fun to watch the inventive ways that they have to get unstuck.

Victor's is just a palapa restaurant with amazing food. Victor is quality and presentation oriented. The kitchen is very rustic.

The people on the Island are not poor just live, for the most part, very simply. They are farmers and fishermen and just like farmers in the states, I have friends in the Bay area that are dairy farmers, and the houses are simple but the tractors are good. That is the important thing. Making a living.

It is like going in a time machine going to the Island. Very interesting and different.

I hope this helps. As mentioned, I don't travel as much as Hommebronze but I cruise the Mexican Riviera alot because I like it there.

The krystal in PV for a massage, Randi's in Mazatlan, and sometimes nothing in Cabo because we are not there that long.

Scruffers

Archived