How close is the pier to the shopping area in Sydney in Canada?

Susie51

Mom and I are going on the Maasdam Sept. ll. We will be in Sydney in Canada one day. Mom will be in a wheelchair. Is it possible to just wheel her off the ship and be right in town?

Two years ago we were in Alaska. Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchican shopping areas were right there. Is Sydney similar to that or do we need to take a taxi. We usually like shore excursions through the ship. What do you recommend?

If I remember correctly, there are shops around the dock. We went straight to Baddeck for the Bras D'Or sail and stopped in Baddeck to shop so we weren't down town, so to speak. The Bras D'or is a great shorex, consider it.

GN

You have three choices. As grannynurse says, there is a shop right on the dock with locally-made items (at least, Cape Breton).

There are two paths to the street, both up, which might be a bit of a push -- but I think there is free shuttle service to downtown, which is only about two blocks away. The shopkeepers, as well as everyone there, are quite friendly. I don't recall the town as being quite HP-friendly as the States, but I'm sure they will help get Mom inside.

Also, there is another locally-made place behind a church on your way in/out of downtown. Plenty of signs to show you where it is. Small and friendly, not far away at all. Free tea and cookies. Over in the far corner, as you enter, is Elizabeth Patterson (or David Burke) and she is just the neatest traditional musician with some fine compact discs. If you want traditional Cape Breton music to take home, there are two stores on the main drag; one is before the radio station and it has books, etc, out in front on display -- the shopkeeper is a very pleasant lady. The other is beyond the radio station and a guy runs the record store; he's also quite friendly.

As you can see, I'm into local music when I travel.

We were there about 3 years ago and hired a wonderful taxi right on the pier. He took us on a lovely city tour and also stopped by the shopping at the church and then back to the ship. I don't remember stopping downtown so can't help with that walking situation.

Archived