Should I book a HC Room

Littlebelle

I am torn on what to do. I have MS and never know when I can have a flare. I do use a cane, sometimes a walker and a scooter for distance. Some days I can walk short distances, others no way.

So yes I could book a normal stateroom if they put a chair in the tub. But not knowing when I could have a flare makes the descision tough. For if I have one I would need a totally accessible washroom. And would need to use my walker.

I would hate to take a room away from someone who needs it. Uses a wheelchair all the time. Since there are so few. But if I book the standard room and have a Flare then it would not be good.

Also the heat makes my walking bad, some days can hardly walk.

As a nurse, MS is a handicapping disability, do not worry if there is a HC room available take it....my understanding is that several cruise rooms can be adapted, so just because there are only a few listed per ship, others can be made adapted for people just like you.

The piece of mind might keep the flare up at bay.

Linda

Personally i would book an accessible room. Even if you only need it for one or two nights due to flare ups, you need it. And travel can be a stressful situation with a lot of changes (diet, wether, routines), and these changes and stress can trigger a flare up. And depending on the cruise line, many cabins don't have tubs, only showers. And I have to say the showers in the standard cabins can be tiny (I call them bathing tubes). In some, there isn't room for a chair, even if you had one.

Candy

Thank you all for your replies. My gut said yes I should take one. But I just felt so bad for those that are in wheelchairs . And now knowing It would be hard to adapt the regular room then the accessible room is definately what I need. With no bars in the shower it would be very dangerous as the heat makes me wobbily:o I will look into booking a Handicap room thanks all :D

Please take my advice and get a HC stateroom. I just returned from the Carnival Liberty and booked a room right near the elevator; which was great. However, I have a transport chair and walker and cane and found it quite difficult to get into the room (doors very narrow) and also that step to bathroom was a bit much at times. I had a seat for the shower; but found the shower was not too big...Next time I will know better. You don't want to be miserable so enjoy the HC room.....

I have ms and I am confined to a power chair.I have been on 20 cruises and see many able bodied people in accessible rooms and they are walking around without a problem. I have been on ships with 22 accessible rooms and have been unable to get another accessible room for another person confined to a chair because some people want those rooms because they are bigger.In your case you don't know hopefully you won't need it but if you do it would be too late. I would get the room if their is one available.

I have MG, sort of a cousin to MS (it's called Myasthenia Gravis) and my understasnding is theat MG is not quite as severe. I rented a scooter because I am a big guy and can't see my wife trying to push my largeness all over the ship. We didn't really think we'd need a HC room. My condition deteriorated quite quickly in Nov and Dec. The only thing I need is a big enough stateroom door to accomodate the scooter. That's the only reason I'd need an HC room.

However, I agree with Queenie2 you should book an HC room. You know yourself better than most and if a flairup would be something neutralized or at the very lesast lessen its severity because of being in one then by all means book it. That's what it's for. Not the person who thinks they need more room and has no handicap.

FF

• 2 weeks later...

Booked an got a accessible room. Though I had to pay $40.00 per person more for it. We wanted the cheapest room lol. I know on Disney they do not charge you more for the room. I know their category 11 which is the second cheapest you get the room for the same price. They do not have so many levels so you do not have to move up inside levels until you get to the the right category for an accesible room.

I found this a little strange. BUt we have it and now to plan for the cruise.

So I guess now I will never be able to cruise at the cheapest level.

It is room L-9557.

Thanks for your support.

Definately book a WC cabin. I also recommend renting a power WC. they are smaller & easier to navigate in. I'm a power WC user & had a WC cabin on RCI's Radiance in '05 & have booked 1 for this Nov. For Power WC rental call Care Vacations at 877-478-7827. They have the PWC in your cabin when you board & you leave it there when you leave. They are great to deal with.

Reggae Mon

Archived