Who do they call for an upsell?

clm101798

I booked my cruise with Travelocity, and they called me a few weeks ago to upsell me from an AF to an AB for $1200. I returned their call to refuse. last week, they called me again and offered it for less. I then accepted. Pot luck, I guess.

Do I need to tell my travel agent not to accept any upgrades without my consent? Or, is it understood that they'll call me before accepting? Remember, this is the same TA that wouldn't let me book certain cabins, and told me that I need a passport to go to Hawaii, so I don't trust them too much anymore.

Do I need to tell my travel agent not to accept any upgrades without my consent? Or, is it understood that they'll call me before accepting? Remember, this is the same TA that wouldn't let me book certain cabins, and told me that I need a passport to go to Hawaii, so I don't trust them too much anymore.

I don't believe it makes any difference - TA or direct. Both of my upsells were on direct-booked cruises. I had notified NCL both times that I would be HIGHLY interested in an upsell. First time went from AF to AB and once from AB to A3.

For me, the key is to have it recorded in your booking reservation (whether by a TA or by you personally if you book direct) that you are highly interested in an upsell - and if they need your particular cabin level, you MAY wind up getting "the call"...........

If there is any rhyme/reason for who gets the call and who doesn't - I would guess that the ONLY people who understand the process are those in the upsell department who make the calls!

Yes, if you don't want an upgrade you need to have your TA mark your reservation "No Upgrade". We were assigned an "upgrade" once that was NOT an upgrade to us :eek: ! I'm obsessive :D about checking my reservations so our (former) TA was able to change it back.

BTW, have you considered transferring your booking to another TA?

I received an upsell offer via email yesterday. I booked through NCL... I asked the question, how do they determine who that make these upsell offers to, the response was that it was random. This will be our third sailing with NCL in four years, always booked the AE suites on the Dawn in the past. Never received an upsell offer prior to this. The offer presented yesterday, on the Star, was from AE to AA, I jumped on it. Our sailing partners also received an upsell offer, from an AF to AB. Comm'on 23 April!!!

Thanks for the information! Its great to see that NCL monitors this board, and can answer most of our questions. In my case, I got called twice, declined first offer, accepted 2nd offer (much less $).

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones! :D

Yes, you are extremely lucky! I've only heard of that happening a few times!

Thank you for your comments regarding my being here. I'm a Personal Cruise Consultant and have the role of something like an "in-house TA." I work with direct guests on an ongoing basis, allowing them to call me directly to book their cruises, ask questions, make changes, etc.

It definitely helps that I have been on multiple cruises myself, plus the Norwegian Sun planned for this April and the Pearl on June 3rd. I'm primarily here to help with any questions that may arise, offer suggestions, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this question. You can't imagine how much time we spend on this board speculating about how the upsell process works. It's great to get the real scoop:)!

We are going on the Sun to Alaska 2 Sept and have 2 cabins on BA next to each other. We are taking the parents on the cruise as they are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. We chose cabins next to each other through a TA as we thought it might be best to keep an eye on them.......... So it would be great if they were to be lucky enough to get an upsell, but would NCL do a party upsell ???

Finges crossed here in th UK :) :) :)

Archived