Green flash?

cactuslady

I have over 2500 days at sea since 1964. I have only seen the GREEN FLASH ONE TIME !! I think I was in the South Pacific, hard to remember where I saw it. And as a Bridge Officer I logged at least 8 hours per day looking out at the sea. I agree with those who have seen it.... it is just a flash....and its gone. But I'll never forget it. I personally thought for years it was a myth, until I was lucky enough to witness it. I believe it is caused by the setting sun's light rays passing through the crest of a wave on the earths horison (approx 20 n. miles from normal bridge height) If seen from a sailboat of course the visible horison would be much closer, and being low on the water chances are increased for the refraction through the wave crest exactly at sunset. Nice subject for conjecture..........Thanks !!!:) Am on Osterdam's Dec 1st fm San Diego..... another chance to look for it , about the time we pass Los Coronados.

2500 days and only seen it once? You must have been really unlucky then!

I guess I have been fortunate to have been spending so many of my watches at sunrise and sunset, as I really have seen around 60 in total over 1900+ days. Come to think of it, I should increase that number, as I didn't even count my cadet months at sea (10 months).....

I do find that you can run into good weather conditions for green flashes over a longer period, I remember one week where I saw 5 flashes (4 at sunset, 1 at sunrise).

EDIT: on second thought, I won't add those days, as I guess we are counting the days on cruiseships, and those days weren't spent on a cruiseliner..

2500 days and only seen it once? You must have been really unlucky then!

I guess I have been fortunate to have been spending so many of my watches at sunrise and sunset, as I really have seen around 60 in total over 1900+ days. Come to think of it, I should increase that number, as I didn't even count my cadet months at sea (10 months).....

I do find that you can run into good weather conditions for green flashes over a longer period, I remember one week where I saw 5 flashes (4 at sunset, 1 at sunrise).

EDIT: on second thought, I won't add those days, as I guess we are counting the days on cruiseships, and those days weren't spent on a cruiseliner..

Hello. Can you look up a couple of posts here and see if this really is a green flash? I took this picture on my New Year's cruise on the Westerdam last year. We are going again this New Year's. I am hoping to repeat this in just over a month. Any suggestions as to where to be on the ship? Top or bottom deck?

Linda

Hello. Can you look up a couple of posts here and see if this really is a green flash? I took this picture on my New Year's cruise on the Westerdam last year. We are going again this New Year's. I am hoping to repeat this in just over a month. Any suggestions as to where to be on the ship? Top or bottom deck?

Linda

Hi Linda,

The site below is definately a green flash, and the wikipedia ones are also (I won't presume to be smarter than an online encyclopedia...;) )

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap021110.html

While your posted picture definately looks interesting, I'm not sure if it is a green flash....

Oz (but not a fictional character ;) )

Hi Linda,

The site below is definately a green flash, and the wikipedia ones are also (I won't presume to be smarter than an online encyclopedia...;) )

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap021110.html

While your posted picture definately looks interesting, I'm not sure if it is a green flash....

Oz (but not a fictional character ;) )

Since you are the man behind the curtain, can you grant wishes? I want a galley tour of a DAM ship. I'm going to ask on Dec. 30 when I board.

Linda

Since you are the man behind the curtain, can you grant wishes? I want a galley tour of a DAM ship. I'm going to ask on Dec. 30 when I board.

Linda

<---------pulling wires and handles to make it so, while shacking off a terrier biting in ankles

Oh, and for suggestions for best viewing location: I'm usually pretty high up and have been seeing them very well from there, so I suggest the same. I'm pretty sure you'll also be able to see from lower decks, but I've never been there for green flashes so cannot garantee them.

<---------pulling wires and handles to make it so, while shacking off a terrier biting in ankles

Oh, and for suggestions for best viewing location: I'm usually pretty high up and have been seeing them very well from there, so I suggest the same. I'm pretty sure you'll also be able to see from lower decks, but I've never been there for green flashes so cannot garantee them.

Thank you for the information about location. I think we were on the Lido deck pretty close to where you might be.

Linda

We also saw the green flash off the Oregon coast. It was my birthday, which made it even more special. I had been talking about it and watching for years. My DH didn't believe in it, but he sure does now! Talk about magic!

I've taken dozens of sunset/sunrise pictures from the ships, but so far -- no luck. I'll keep trying though! :)

LoyHAL

WOW!

One of my very most favorite subjects!

I don't come over to HAL often, but it showed as "most recent post" on the main index page, so over I came! (been Cunarding it lately)

I have seen the Green Flash only once. I will never forget it.

I have looked for it for years. (4 HAL cruises, too) Three Years ago in Key West. I was on a sailboat with friends. I was facing the sunset. We were all looking, but as usual, scud clouds started gathering on the horizon just around the time. The "captain" who owned the boat explained why the clouds tend to gather on the horizon at sunset. He is also a pilot (airplane- as are we) and very into Meteorolgy (as am I)

Anyway, everyone looked away, since we knew we wouldn't see it and we started chatting. As I said, I was facing West. All of the sudden, at the last possible second it was like a small curtain opened in the clouds. I screamed "OHMIGOD!" In that second it was gone. Everyone knew. They all congratulated me and were happy for me. I felt like a million bucks (or maybe like a million Caribbean sunsets! Which is certainly worth more to me!)

Still looking.

On the QM2 a couple of weeks ago, we were having a CC meet and greet in the Commodore. (high deck forward, panoramic windows) I suddenly looked beyond the person I was chatting with and said, oh mygod! The clouds are parting. We might see the Green Flash Everyone in the Commodore turned to watch. (Of course I had to quickly explain to some, but plenty others knew what it was) Sadly. just as quickly, the clouds knit back together, and that was that.

So close. So close!

P.S. Growing up on the Atlantic Coast (Ormond Beach, Florida) I never knew about this phenomenon. However, I have heard others speak of it at sunrise facing East.

Once you've seen it, your life has been changed...for the better. There is moment of pure awe, wonder and serenity.

I saw a green flash on the Maasdam,on a Canada New England, it was spectacular, I tried to get a photo but it was way to quick. It must be a good area for green flashes!

I thought I saw another one last year on the Zuiderdam, on the aft verandah, but alas it was a reflection of a friends green sequin top, (after several Ketel 1 martini's, with green olives), I guess that does not count!

Martini Cruiser

Archived