POH 1/29 review

caserko

I just submitted this to the Member Review page also. Will also post on NCL forum. Will try to answer questions if I don't crash from this jet lag!

We are late 20-somethings married for a couple years and went on this cruise to experience Hawaii. The crowd was definitely older than us, I'd say the majority in their 40's to 60's.

Pre-cruise: We flew direct from Houston and stayed one night pre-cruise at the Waikiki Circle Hotel. The room was tiny and the hotel is definitely on the older side, but very cute/unique (it's circular) and in a good location and good price. Worked fine for our purposes. The taxi to the pier was $22 (and was a stretch limo to our surprise--it's what the hotel called for us--hey we won't complain, we arrived in style)!

Embarkation: We arrived around 11:45 and were on board in about 30 minutes. Some people were confused as to where to go first, i.e. get your room tags, go through security, THEN get in the real line. They could have better signs for that. We went right to Deck 8 to book restaurant reservations and got everything we wanted with a little variation on times. Another CC member had suggested that Cagney's or Le Bistro would be good on the first night with less crowds, but we did this and I would NOT recommend it unless you want to walk into Le Bistro in the grungy clothes you come on ship with. Our bags didn't arrive by our 6:30 reservation, but they WERE there when we got back to our room around 8.

Stateroom: So we were in an inside stateroom which is, yes, SMALL. But ours was in a good location--midship on deck 9 is good b/c everything is pretty close. We used the stairs a lot because the wait for the elevators was long. There are built-in shelves that help maximize space all over the room, so if you're organized the whole week it doesn't feel claustrophobic. The bed was comfortable except you really can feel the ridge between the two beds that were pushed together. The shower is great--the head is adjustable up and down (good since I'm short and my husband is tall). One thing about not having a balcony if you need the internet--you don't get signal. My husband had to check in with work a lot and he had to go up to the pool area or in another public space to use his cell phone for the internet. If we'd had a balcony this would have been easier--just something to think about if you unfortuately have to have internet access. Those plans are ridiculously expensive.

Meals: All in all the food was mediocre. I read the boards extensively before so I knew it wasn't 5-star dining and I was prepared not to be upset, so I wasn't. But really, the quality could be better. Everyone seems to LOVE Papa's...I actually thought it was the worst specialty restaurant (hey, it IS the free one). My lasagna tasted like Chef Boyardee and what is it with the caesar salads absolutely SWIMMING in dressing? Ask for it on the side. Sushi was really good, and Jasmine Gardens was really good (which surprised me--I don't typically like Chinese). Cagney's was okay--the bananas foster was really good. Do NOT get the lobster bisque--that was the strangest soup I've ever tasted--with some pumpkin puree in it?? In fact, I never had a good soup on the ship--even though they had totally different names, strangely enough they all tasted like they were in the same blender...

Le Bistro, again, was okay. Nothing to write home about, but good service and nice atmomsphere. The only meal that made me mad was "lobster night." We ate at Alizar (waited 1 hr at 7) and it was just packed, so the service was slow. They couldn't find bread. But what made me mad was the actual lobster--it was the puniest tail I've ever seen and completely overcooked. If I had to do it over again, I'd just order the whole lobster for the extra $10 at Cagney's. Didn't eat at Paniolo's. The Aloha Nui Buffet on Deck 12 was okay for breakfast. Same stuff every single morning--they could be a lot more inventive--I mean they have everything (omlettes, pancakes, sausage, etc.) but they could do these differently from day to day, like "macadamia nut pancakes" or something like that.

Excursions/Activities: We had some extremely strong winds in the beginning of the week up through Kona. We were able to tender, the first ship after 3 before us that couldn't even do that. But we got up all early and excited about Captain Zodiac and tendered to the pier, only to have them cancel it at the last minute due to high surf. That was a real bummer. We rented cars in Hilo, on Maui, and Kauai. Had so much fun exploring VNP (did bring flashlights and go in the dark part of the lava tunnel--very cool) and Akaka Falls--GET THE REVEALED BOOK!!!! In Maui we went to Lahaina on the first day, which was cute. The HUMONGOUS banyan tree park was cool. Had good pizza at BJ's (or something like that, it was Chicago-style) and some good shopping. Went to the South side on the 2nd day in Wailua which was nice--the waves were crazy big. On Kona since our tour was cancelled we just walked around the town, which I thought was adorable. Better shopping in my opinion than Lahaina. They have a little store on the far end of the main street where this woman makes clay orchids and they are really unique and cute. Her son runs the "business" while she makes the art. It's reasonably priced and we brought one home, though it did get a little bent so I might recommend shipping it.

Kauai was the BEST!! We had great weather. First we did Airventures on our own, a small plane tour (1 hr for $99) over the whole island--I'm telling you it was breathtaking. Thor, our guide, was really informative but didn't talk TOO much. Then we drove to the south side to Poipu Beach, where there was a huge monk seal just lounging on the beach, very cool. Watching the teenagers body surf and boogie board was amusing. We didn't snorkel, but others who rented gear saw a lot of fish right off the beach. We walked around Koloa which was quite cute.

Second day on Kauai we did the Kauai Canopy Zipline Tour. There are a few zipline tours and the NCL ppl at the shore excursion desk were really unhelpful in choosing one--none of them have been on any of the tours and couldn't answer any specific questions. We found this throughout the week, which I think really needs to be addressed. One guy told a couple on our zipline tour that they weren't allowed to bring a camera, which was totally wrong. Anyway the tour was really really fun. The guides were great. The last thing we did was the Grand Circle Island Tour on debarkation day. What can I say? My husband and I were the youngest on the tour by about 40 years and again, the shore excursion desk was not helpful--if we had known what it was we wouldn't have done it. Seriously, driving around a beautiful island on a bus for 8 hours--how frustrating. I thought it was just going to take us places and let us get off and explore on our own, but they let us off at several places for 5 minutes to take pictures and get back on. We also had pointless stops at run-down tourist traps that sold the same thing you saw everywhere. Again, frustrating. We did it only b/c we didn't feel like messing with a rental car on the last day and we didn't have the Revealed book...so we took the lazy route. Our bad. :)

One note on Thrifty--we had no problems whatsoever and got convertibles each time because of Blue Chip--I highly recommend joining it. Coming back from Hilo the shuttle took forever to take us back to the ship, but we just jumped on Hertz after awhile. Other shuttles went smoothly.

NCL staff: Our steward, Wayne, was so sweet and always said a friendly hello and asked what we needed. For some reason our room was not made up at all the first two days and when I called around 5PM on the second day, they said only the "turn down" crew was around and they couldn't change sheets or clean the bathroom. Okay. Anyway it was fixed by the third day and we never had a problem after that. (And yes, we knew about the dials on the outside of the room). I found almost everyone to be helpful and friendly and accomodating, with the exception of the shore excursion staff. Then there was a debaucle at debarkation. They took a candle I had bought in Kauai when we were reboarding--you have to go through security each time and they said they don't allow candles b/c they don't want you burning them in the room (even though it was a gift). They gave me a receipt and said I could get it when we debarked. Well, when I asked about it no one seemed to know where to get it back and the security ppl took my ship card and the receipt and disappeared. Meanwhile the tour bus loaded up and the ENTIRE bus was waiting for me and my stupid candle. I told them that I really had to go and they just looked confused. I started getting mad and just asked for my ship card and receipt back, but then they didn't know who took it and where that person was, so I just had to leave it. I called NCL today and I have to fax or mail a letter for them to "investigate." All that for a $16 candle. But still, there were other ppl whose stuff was confiscated and they should've been more organized about it, bottom line.

We didn't do ANY of the shows--ate rather late and then just crashed.

I'm sure I forgot stuff but all in all it was a FANTASTIC trip. I say use the ship as a floating hotel and explore Hawaii--it's like nowhere else I've ever seen.

Thanks for the great review!!! We are also considering a zipline tour but will probably book independently. All our car rentals are currently booked thru Budget -- but for the chance at a free convertible upgrade, I might have to go Thrifty instead. Too bad about your lobster. :(

caserko:

Meals: All in all the food was mediocre. I read the boards extensively before so I knew it wasn't 5-star dining and I was prepared not to be upset, so I wasn't. But really, the quality could be better. Everyone seems to LOVE Papa's...I actually thought it was the worst specialty restaurant (hey, it IS the free one). My lasagna tasted like Chef Boyardee and what is it with the caesar salads absolutely SWIMMING in dressing? Ask for it on the side. Sushi was really good, and Jasmine Gardens was really good (which surprised me--I don't typically like Chinese). Cagney's was okay--the bananas foster was really good. Do NOT get the lobster bisque--that was the strangest soup I've ever tasted--with some pumpkin puree in it?? In fact, I never had a good soup on the ship--even though they had totally different names, strangely enough they all tasted like they were in the same blender...

We're with you about Papa's. We had read so many reviews about how good it is, but we disliked it so much that we cancelled the second reservation we had. And that lobster bisque? Thank you! Again, something others had raved about, but I thought it was gummy, fishy, and just odd. We did have some good items. Both nights we ate at Jasmine, our meals were very good.

We ate at Cagney's the first night, but we had received our luggage (about 6; our ressie was at 7:30) and I always pack an emergency change of clothes in our carryon just in case. About the lobster at Cagney's, we ordered it the last night of the cruise and it was horrid! So bad that we sent it back. Maybe earlier in the cruise it would be better. Cagney's was mobbed that last night and the staff was overwhelmed.

Very nice review.

beachchick

Great Review! My DH and I will be sailing on the POH on April 30/07. I've only ever sailed with Rcl so I'm not use to free styling. How is the food in the main dining rooms that you don't have to pay for and do you still have to make a reservation for those too? I really didn't want to be locked into a certain time that we had to eat at.

Beachchick--that's funny we had the same experiences with the food--I really was surprised about Jasmine being the best one b/c I'm a sushi snob and then don't really like chinese! We did the same thing by canceling our second night at Papa's and went to Cagney's instead--this turned out to the be the last night. We ate at 8 and it wasn't over-crowded. And I did order the whole lobster and it was actually good. I think it just depends on the cook. But seriously, I don't think boiling lobster is that difficult! Did you notice that the waiters had to make the bananas foster for each of their tables? I got the sense they were annoyed when ppl ordered it b/c they had to make it. :)

Sun: I can't answer your question about the quality of the food in the main dining room b/c we only at there on lobster night and you know how that went. We didn't even do lunch or breakfast in Alizar. But you can't make reservations in Alizar or GP unless you have a large party. There did seem to be a wait though at peak times--I don't know this for sure but I saw ppl walking around with beepers while we were having drinks.

Beachchick--that's funny we had the same experiences with the food--I really was surprised about Jasmine being the best one b/c I'm a sushi snob and then don't really like chinese! We did the same thing by canceling our second night at Papa's and went to Cagney's instead--this turned out to the be the last night. We ate at 8 and it wasn't over-crowded. And I did order the whole lobster and it was actually good. I think it just depends on the cook. But seriously, I don't think boiling lobster is that difficult! Did you notice that the waiters had to make the bananas foster for each of their tables? I got the sense they were annoyed when ppl ordered it b/c they had to make it. :)

Sun: I can't answer your question about the quality of the food in the main dining room b/c we only at there on lobster night and you know how that went. We didn't even do lunch or breakfast in Alizar. But you can't make reservations in Alizar or GP unless you have a large party. There did seem to be a wait though at peak times--I don't know this for sure but I saw ppl walking around with beepers while we were having drinks.

I'm so glad your Cagney's lobster experience was better than ours. I did notice the bananas foster tables. The nights we were there, several asst waiters were doing them and having a blast.

It's funny that you mention how you don't normally like Chinese food because really Jasmine isn't traditional Chinese by any means. For example, I really enjoyed the kung pao chicken with mac nuts, but besides mac nuts instead of peanuts (a welcome change), the sauce and presentation weren't anything like kung paos. The sauce was Thai-chili based, which is fine by me as we love Thai and I make it at home. Most other dishes we had were equally delicious, but not regular Chinese cuisine. DH loved the peppercorn beef (they use filet mignon). It was tender, cooked perfectly, and seasoned just right. The only thing we had that was pretty much the "usual" presentation was the pork and shrimp fried rice, which was also very good. I think Jasmine is really more of an Asian fusion restaurant incorporating many different flavors and styles, including Hawaiian foods. (We do love good Chinese food. One of the very few things we've missed since moving to the CA central coast many years ago is the bounty of excellent and traditional Chinese restaurants in the bay area. We've yet to find a restaurant here that we've eaten at more than once.)

I have to say that we were really surprised that Papa's was so bad. The best thing there was the focaccia and olive oil/balsamic, which was okay, but again nothing like what I bake at home (or that we can get at our fave restaurants). All the better to not pig out too much. (But wait, I forgot about those darn warm chocolate brownies at Blue Lagoon...those were dangerous.)

sungoddezz: We didn't eat in the regular dining rooms at all, so I have no information. Sorry about that.

beachchick

Yes, you're right about Jasmine not being traditional Chinese--prob why I liked it so much (I love Thai). We ate at Blue Lagoon once but the service was SO slow that we gave up on dessert even though I was really eyeing the brownie.

About the zipline, it really wasn't scary. You don't go that fast and you feel very safe and secure. It also didn't feel THAT high to me. No one in our group was scared at all, esp. after doing the first one. The hardest part was trying to keep your body aligned straight, but they give you tips on how to turn yourself (though I must say I sucked at it) and even if you come in backwards or sideways, they catch you. Maybe I'm making it sound scary--I promise it wasn't. We had lots of non-athletic ppl on our tour who did just fine. And the guides were great. I say go for it.

caserko: Bummer about Blue Lagoon. We only ate a meal there once and it was kind of "off" time, so service was pretty prompt. Mostly we'd go in just for the warm chocolate brownie afternoon or evening "pick me up" (and mostly because we usually don't have room for dessert right after meals).

beachchick

Caserko, I'm also interested in the zipline tours. How many ziplines did the company you used have? I know my family wants to do this, but I'm very hesitant since I'm terrified of heights. I don't even like the little cable cars that run across amusement parks. If possible, I just walk it and meet the family on the other side. 2 steps on the ladder is pretty good for me. I think I should avoid them, but my family keeps trying to talk me into it. How bad is it really!? Thanks

Archived