Jungle Canopy or South Shore

cruisinlawn

Both Canopy Tours are very good, main difference is the location.

Jungle Canopy is on the eastern end end of the island and good to combine with visit to the Iguana Farm while South Shore is located on the western end and can be combined with a visit to West End or West Bay Beach.

If you are just going to do the canopy tour both other good scenic drives from the dock.

Enjoy Dean

• 2 weeks later...

We are four fifty-somethings, and last month were on Zenith for the third (and last!) time. Since we avoid ship's excursions like the plague, I scheduled us for ziplining with South Shore Canopy. IT WAS SUPERB! We cannot recommend it enough. Here's how we did it:

After much researching on the boards and internet, I emailed Kirby/Warren at SSC. I liked his prompt responses and answers, so we said we'd be there at 9:30 right after the ship docked. After debarking, we hired a wonderful cab & driver for $60 for the day. He took us first to SSC, where we paid $35 pp and were fitted up with gear and given safety instructions. We had two guides with us, one who zipped ahead of us, and one who zipped after we had all done the line. The guides were EXCELLENT, and we had an incredible time. Some of us even zipped upside down in tandem with one of the guides. What a flying feeling! At the end of the zipping, we climbed a short hill and were picked up by a truck for the brief ride back to our starting point. WE TIPPED OUR GUIDES $10 each because they were worth every penny!

(If you decide to go, wear a t-shirt and either jeans or sturdy shorts, plus socks and sneakers. You will sweat!)

Our driver then took us to Infinity Beach, about ten minutes away, where we spent a lovely day on the beach, drinking cheap drinks from a beach bar, and having a great time. Right next to the beach where we were was the 'ship's excursion beach area'--I think people paid $50 or $60 EACH and went on a cattle call bus. We paid nothing, just part of our cab & driver fare.

I can't say enough about ziplining at South Shore Canopy--it was truly amazing!

I think the zipline sounds really cool. We are going with Princess in April and I would love to do this, but I am moderately overweight and work at a desk all day. I'm not completely out of shape, but the cruise line promo for it said it was one of the most active shore excursions. My 60 something mother and 11 year old son are also interested in participating, how would you rate the level of fitness requires for this excursion?:confused:

Hi All,

my wife and I are leaving on the Grand Princess next week! We usually try to make our own excursions rather than go throught the ship. Sometimes we book through a local tour agency as well.

We've done some research on the zip lines in roatan and I was wondering if anyone had gone on the South Side zip line? If so, do you end up at the beach afterwards? I read that Gumbalina Park zip line was only availble if you book through the cruise ship.

Ideally we'd like to do the zip line and then end up at a beach where we can snorkel and hang out for the rest of the day soaking in the sun.

thanks!!

Matt and Rebecca

We are planning a tour with Southshore in November. Can you tell me a few things, please?

In reading your post, it sounds like SSC does not meet you at the pier but instead at the location of the tour, (how far is it from the pier?) and that you are responsible for finding your own transportation to and from there? Also, can you give me an approximate time that the tour takes (drive to SSC, take the tour, and drive back to the pier) assuming you don't go anywhere afterwards?

I'm assuming your taxi driver waited for you to take the tour and then waited while you were at the beach? Did they have taxi's available at SSC if you didn't want one to wait for you?

Hope this makes sense...... thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Ann

This is the email response I got to those exact questions to south shore. I'm going next week.

From Me:

Hello,

I have a few more questions for you.

I am coming on the Norwegian Dawn in March. Are you the place that the ship books through, or is that another facility?

If you are not the place the ship uses, Do I need to book in advance, or can I "pay at the door" when we get there?

If I do book in advance, what happens if the ship misses the port?

also, do you have a rough idea of how much a cab costs, and how long it takes to get there from the cruise ship?

Do you offer packages including transportation to and from the ship? How much for 2 people?

How crowded do you think it'll be with one ship in port? I assume it's best to try to get off ths ship as early as possible?

Thanks for any informaiton you can provide.

-Dan

From Kirby Warren:

The only difference is that Gumbalimba the one offered

by Norwegian includes the transportation and the tour

in one price but it's no cheaper. The problem with

the ships tour is that they don't tell you that you

have to sit with 32 passengers on a bus. A lot of

times you have to wait in lines to perform the

activities when you arrive at their facilities. If

you go alone you get a better view of the Island plus

you direct the cab driver where you want to go. The

drive from the pier to our facility is about 5 to 8

minutes. The tour takes about 45 minutes to complete.

If you are interested I can set up a tour of South

Shore plus a few hours at the beach with one of our

drivers for $45 dollars per person roundtrip. Let us

know your plans and thanks again,

Walter.

Archived