VOS 7/16/04 Another Review Part 2

Entertainment

James Andrews may be the best cruise director I’ve seen yet. He brings such energy and enthusiasm to everything he does and really gets you going!

The entertainment was generally great! From the shows in the La Scala Theater to the music in the various other lounges. Whatever your taste in music it seemed there was something for everyone. The only show I was disappointed with was their Broadway Revue production, but maybe I’m spoiled considering the number of Broadway shows we’ve seen.

The most unique show, and a must see, is the ice show. These are professional skaters, who have competed internationally, and they put on a performance that rivals the Ice Capades or Disney on Ice.

Some of the best entertainment was provided by our fellow passengers in the Karoake Idol competition, the Quest, the Battle of the Sexes, and the Love & Marriage game.

Fellow passengers

We had a very diverse group of passengers and everyone we talked to was really friendly.

Royal Caribbean set up a Meet & Mingle party for all the Cruise Critic.Com members who registered in advance. Over 90 people signed up, but only about 20 actually showed up at the party. It was fun to finally meet some of the folks we had been exchanging messages with for quite some time.

The ports

Labadee, Haiti – This was basically a beach day. We tendered ashore and headed for the beach farthest away from the tender dock. There were more than enough lounge chairs and we were able to set up in the shade. A barbecue lunch was served on the beach.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica – We’ve been there before and seen most of what there was to see in and around Ocho Rios. This time we booked a private tour with Ionie & Lewis McBeam. Lewis picked us up at the dock and we took a drive through the countryside for about an hour and a half to go river rafting on the Martha Brae River. The rafting trip was also about an hour and a half and it was very relaxing and enjoyable. On the way back, we stopped at Columbus Park, Green Grotto, and a local jerk center where we sampled some of the local cuisine for lunch. We washed it down with a cold Red Stripe beer. Back in Ocho Rios, Lewis took us to a shopping plaza we requested and then back to the ship.

Grand Cayman – We spent the day at 7 mile beach. We went on our own to the Beach Club Colony which is where the ship sends all the people who booked the beach excursion. We got the same exact deal, but for a few dollars less. We enjoyed the beach so much that we decided to stay there the whole day instead of going off somewhere else. We took a taxi back to town and had just enough time to squeeze in a little shopping before catching the next to last tender. There were two Carnival ships anchored on either side of the Voyager of the Seas. It was fascinating that despite being fairly good size ships, they were dwarfed by the Voyager.

Freeport, Bahamas – By the time we got to Freeport we had had a little too much sun so we decided to skip the beach and instead booked a shore excursion billed as a “Coastal Cruise” and shopping trip. The “Coastal Cruise” was nothing more than a ferry ride to the Lucaya Marketplace. There wasn’t much to see. So we did some shopping and then we got on a bus back to the ship.

Debarkation

This is one area that could use some serious improvement, although it is not all within the control of Royal Caribbean.. Our color was called fairly quickly, but we were stuck without moving for about 20 minutes in a small corridor by an elevator bank with quite a few other passengers and others were stuck on the staircases. It seems that they were getting wheelchair passengers off ahead of us which was taking quite some time. I felt they should have let us sit in the lounges a little longer and not called our color until they got all the wheelchair passengers off. Once off the ship we were bussed to the terminal and found all our luggage within a minute (I give them an A+ for the setup). A porter help us bring our luggage outside and that was where the scene was chaotic. We were waiting for our son to pick us up and it seemed as though nobody had any control over the flow of traffic. Cars, limos and busses waiting for passengers who weren’t there yet were blocking the pickup lanes and the port personnel had a very difficult time getting them to move. It took my son about 30 minutes to get from our house to the terminal and then another hour to get to us in the pickup area. Fortunately it was anice day and wasn’t raining, because there is no shelter or cover to stand under while waiting. Next time I think I’ll drive myself and leave the car at the port.

Summary -

The ship is incredible, the itinerary was great and we had a truly wonderful time. I love the Voyager class ships and I may have a difficult time settling for anything less on future cruises.

How did you get the exact same deal at the Colony Beach Club? How far was it from the ship? Is this where people go for the 7-mile beach break?
Yes, this is the same place people go for the 7-mile beach break. We just took a taxi there and were offered a "package" which included admission, a lounge chair and a drink for $16. The RCCL beach break excursion cost $19 (plus your own transportation) for the exact same "package."

Cruzeluvr, Robinob here...

I was disappointed at the CC party but it was nice to meet you guys! We loved the cruise so much that we booked for the next year. We are going the same week, same itinerary and have upgraded to a suite. I have mentioned in previous posts that I really didn't like Freeport. We will go on an excursion while there and I hope that my opinion changes. The rest of the trip was FABULOUS!!!!!

We loved this cruise and would like to go again next year. The ship got in earlier than planned but took several hrs to clear customs. They started calling passengers at 11:30-11:45. You are allowed to stay in your cabin until 11 which is very civilized and then told to proceed to the public areas. We chose to wait in the Aquarium Lounge on 5th floor. Lots of people there. The problem was the PA system didn't work there so you couldn't hear your color being called. We had the 4th color to be called and went quickly down the elevator and out to the bus. In the terminal, found our luggage right away. There were only a few porters to help w. luggage, so that could be a problem. We had driven to the pier and had a space one row from the terminal and schlepped our luggage ourselves. There were employees directing the traffic out of the lot, so that only took a few minutes and we were on the highway. I'd recommend driving and parking at the pier if you live close enuff- definitely less stressful than the passengers with luggage waiting for pickup. When you consider that 3500 were leaving within a 2 hr period, I thought it went remarkably well. There was a lot of planning that went into both embark and debarkation.There was room for improvement but I thought they did a great job. Enjoy your cruise

Cruzeluvr, Robinob here...

I was disappointed at the CC party but it was nice to meet you guys! We loved the cruise so much that we booked for the next year. We are going the same week, same itinerary and have upgraded to a suite. I have mentioned in previous posts that I really didn't like Freeport. We will go on an excursion while there and I hope that my opinion changes. The rest of the trip was FABULOUS!!!!!

Hi Robinob,

We were also a little disappointed that so few people showed up but I agree it was nice to meet everyone who did.

I wasn't crazy about Freeport, but I would go back and just go to the beach next time.

Archived