snorkeling

pedsnurse

Cruising to Jamaica and the Grand Cayman 3/10. Does anyone know which location is best for snorkeling? What excursion package would you recommend? Thanks

Definitely Grand Caymans ... you may want to try Stingray city. Depending where the boat you are on anchors there is a nice little reef nearby for snorkeling. Also, probably any of the snorkel excursions would be good. As for Jamaica, I can't recommend any snorkeling excursions, it's not a favorite port of mine. I have dove there and found it to be so so.

The most popular excrusion in Grand Cayman is a trip to the Stingray City sandbar to swim with the rays. It's not really snorkeling since the water is only about 4 feet deep. You go for the experience of being with the rays. The excursions that are offered by the cruise lines usually include the trip to Stingray City and nothing else. There are however numerous private companies that offer trips to Stingray City and they include one or two other stops for snorkeling as well. We have used Captain Marvins several times and have always enjoyed it. Their Stingray City trip also includes two snorkeling stops stops at a barrier reef and the Coral Gardens.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Grand Cayman for sure!

For a first timer there, the advice on Stingray City the above poster gave is right on. You can also look at another that I've heard of, but not been on, who I've noticed has a good start time for cruisers:

http://www.cayman.org/captainbryan/

If you don't want to do the sting ray city thing, look at a great spot within a short walk from the cruise ship tender pier called Eden Rock. There are several threads talking about this spot on the Cayman forum here on Cruise Critic. You might even will have time for this after your Sting Ray City tour if you go early, and it is easy since it is so close to the tender dock.

Don't know how helpful this will be but last year on Zenith we did a snorkle trip that went to multiple snorkle stops(3 I think). We did not want to do Stingray City. However all the stops were on the 7 Mile Beach side of the Island not the Coral Gardens & shelf side where the best sites are ( I know from a previous land trip). This excursion wasn't terrible but it was disappointing. It seems the only way to get to the best locations is to book something privately but since you tender it seems that might be hard to do . Good luck. I leave Mon for a week on GC- can't wait. Meg

Grand Cayman is probably the best snorkeling site in the Caribbean. Last time we were there, we did the "Reef & Wreak" excursion. They take you on a boat out to the site of a sunken ship in the harbor for some snorkeling, then they move over the reef for a different experience. At the Wreak site there is not alot of sea life to boserve, but you do get to see the remains of a ship that had sunk in the harbor and then broken apart. The reef however, is a completely different experience. It's teeming with life, both fish & coral, and the drop off of the sea floor is incredible. You will go from about 15 feet of water to over 60 feet as you snorkel over the reef.

You can walk along the shore and snorkel at several spots. Go to grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com and print off the snorkel tours. Eden Rock listed above is one of them. You will need to bring your own gear.

Each stop is a 5-10 minute walk apart. You might want to skip the one where they clean fish--they throw it back in and there is a lot of thrashing around going on!

The one at Cemetery Beach has a ladder with about 3 rungs. It is beautiful if you can manage it. Our favorite one is the one near the dive shop. Look for the buoys in the water to the left as you look out.

Archived