anyone been on Empress lower decks?

We're looking at a cruise on the Empress of the Seas. One of our choices is an inside cabin on deck 3 or 4. I've looked at the deck plans and can see about where they are but have questions about being that deep in the ship. Is the motion more or less as you go up? Are the size of the cabins the same as those on upper decks? Any other advice? We don't spend much time in the cabin, just sleep, dress and store things.

We have done three cruises on Empress and have another scheduled for this May. We have had rooms on deck four and a JS on deck 9, and by far we would rather be on Deck 4 than any other. The reasons being on Deck four there is very little "motion in the ocean" whereas on Deck 9 you can definitely feel it. The other good thing about Deck 4 is you are close to just about everything ( except the pool deck and the Windjammer). We also have found that most all of the cabins are the same size, except for the RS, GS, the insides are all about the same, the oceanview are the same and all of the junior suites are the same.

Also Empress just got out of Drydock the end of November and she looks great. The crew is fantastic also.

If you have any other questions ask away:)

Being midship and the lower the better for motion on a ship.

Although my last cruise I had no problem on deck 9 on the Empress

Deck 3 inside cabins do vary in size.

Someone in our group was one of the chosen to have the tiny cabin that you couldnt really move around in.

I want to say it was 3101, 3103 ,3105? that was smallest.

Been quite a few years

If it was up to me Id spend a bit more and go outside if possible.

The cabins are a bit larger

I haved sailed on the Empress twice. Once in an inside cabin on deck three and the other on an oceanview cabin on deck seven. Honestly, the only difference for me was that I had a window. We had rough seas both cruises and I felt that the motion was not really different than being down below. I had no problem staying in a cabin on the 3rd deck. I believe the cabins are smaller on the lower level decks.

I am on the 3rd deck mid-ship in April with an oceanview. I actually thought about getting a deck higher up, but this seemed a) away from all public rooms and b) one of those most stable, possibly non-moving rooms that were on the ship.

I haven't gone yet but I am feeling pretty good about the room I chose!

Our very first cruise was on the Empress on deck 4. The "motion of the ocean wasnt really noticable until we had 60+ mile an hour head winds. Then it didn't matter where you were on the ship(lol). If your lower in the ship and in the middle you should be fine.

insides on deck 3 and 4 average 108 sq. ft. as do cat II outside.

All other outside average 139 sq. ft and the difference is noticeable. Ill be aboard the 4/20/07 repo in a cat I ouside on deck 3, Little Empress, Here I Come! Love this Ship!;)

While I was never on the Empress, I was on the Monarch in 1998. I still recall how tiny the cabin was back then (I had an inside cabin). That being said, I am booked on the Empress on August 18th with my friend and her daughter. Taking the cabin size into consideration, coupled with my budget and my experience with sharing a cabin with these 2 in Europe last summer on the Celebrity Galaxy, I decided to book my own inside cabin. This was done for both comfort and sanity. If traveling with others, I would recommend an OV for the extra space....it can get crowded.

Now...the countdown begins! :)

This should be an initiation for new cruisers. You have to sail your first cruise on Empress with an inside cabin, with the maximum number of occupants. If you enjoy that then you truely are "one of us". We did and have been hooked ever since. In my humorous opinin

My first cruise was on the Empress in 1998 and we were on desk 2 or 3 which ever is the bottom one and the last one in the back. We were right next to the stairs and bathroom and we loved that area. We didn't feel a thing. The room was small for 3 but who cares we were never in the room but to sleep and I still think it was the best cruise service we have had and I have been on over 10 cruises since and every size boat. They say your first cruise it the one you will remember.

Our first cruise was also on Empress in 1997. We were in an oceanview on deck 4 midship. We didn't notice any motion until the seas got rough. We're sailing again in October, but with a child now we opted for a JS on deck 9. I'm still hoping for smooth sailing!:)

Archived