Copper10-8 Pronunciation ???

agabbymama

John,

I saw an old thread where you gave lots of info on the pronunciation of HAL ships.

Prinsendam "Princen-dam" as in "Prince"

Statendam "St-ah-ten-dam" as in "say Aah"

Maasdam "Maahs-dam" as in "say Ahh"

Ryndam "Rhine-dam"

Veendam "Veyn-dam" as in "hey"

Rotterdam "Rott-ehr-dam" as in Rotweiler

Amsterdam "Ahm-ster-dam"

Volendam "Vohl-en-dam" as in "Foal"

Zaandam "Zahn-dam" as in "say Aah"

Zuiderdam "Zey-der-dam"

Oosterdam "Oasterdam" as in Toast but drop the "T"

Westerdam "West-ehr-dam"

Noordam "Nor-dam" as in More

When I was in Holland we were told the "V" sounds like an "F" which you show above for Volendam, but for Veendam you still show the "V". Is the difference in the "o" or "e" vowel following it??? Another interesting one is "Vlissingen" in English would be "Flushing", go figure. I really had a difficult time trying to learn Dutch, I finally gave up after that last one.

John,

I saw an old thread where you gave lots of info on the pronunciation of HAL ships.

Prinsendam "Princen-dam" as in "Prince"

Statendam "St-ah-ten-dam" as in "say Aah"

Maasdam "Maahs-dam" as in "say Ahh"

Ryndam "Rhine-dam"

Veendam "Veyn-dam" as in "hey"

Rotterdam "Rott-ehr-dam" as in Rotweiler

Amsterdam "Ahm-ster-dam"

Volendam "Vohl-en-dam" as in "Foal"

Zaandam "Zahn-dam" as in "say Aah"

Zuiderdam "Zey-der-dam"

Oosterdam "Oasterdam" as in Toast but drop the "T"

Westerdam "West-ehr-dam"

Noordam "Nor-dam" as in More

When I was in Holland we were told the "V" sounds like an "F" which you show above for Volendam, but for Veendam you still show the "V". Is the difference in the "o" or "e" vowel following it??? Another interesting one is "Vlissingen" in English would be "Flushing", go figure. I really had a difficult time trying to learn Dutch, I finally gave up after that last one.

Hi Mamma; the "V" in Dutch does sound more like an "F". It's almost like you're blowing "fffffff" I used the "hey" as in Veendam more for the total pronounciation of the word "Veen" (if that makes sence). The "V" for Volendam and Veendam is pronounced the same.

Carla is correct in that "Dam" or "dam" in Dutch is pronounced more like "dahm" rather than "damn" (sorry about using a bad word, Ref:o ) So it is "Oasterdahm"

BTW, Dutch is not an easy language to learn and/or pronounce, right Ine?;)

Hi Mamma; the "V" in Dutch does sound more like an "F". It's almost like you're blowing "fffffff" I used the "hey" as in Veendam more for the total pronounciation of the word "Veen" (if that makes sence). The "V" for Volendam and Veendam is pronounced the same.

Carla is correct in that "Dam" or "dam" in Dutch is pronounced more like "dahm" rather than "damn" (sorry about using a bad word, Ref:o ) So it is "Oasterdahm"

Copper10-8

Thanks for the quick response. I know first hand that Dutch is not an easy language to learn. Some of the words I would keep trying and trying to say, and the gals would keep repeating the correct way, as I said I finally gave up even trying when they pronounced Vlissingen as Flushing. I knew I would never get it. Just can't teach and old English dog a new language.

Easy answer here, just call all the ships EURO, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. etc. :D

I never had or have problems with it John!!!

;) Scheveningen is always a good one to pronounce, especially by the Germans!

And for the "Amsterdammers"

Ik heb de zon in de zee zien zakken....

And for the "Amsterdammers"

Ik heb de zon in de zee zien zakken....

"

I have the sun in the sea see falling"

?????

Pretty good and pretty close!

"And for the residents from Amsterdam:

I saw the sun "drop" (lower itself) into the ocean"

Folks from Amsterdam, especially those from the "Jordaan" neighborhood, have their own "little accent";)

Archived