Bought a new dress - need opinions

Gingee

I guess I am in the minority, but I think the teal dress is a little too too much for a MOB. The other dress is really pretty and if you are counting votes, I am for the peachy, pink (?) one.

I agree with 45014. I think the pink one is lovely and tasteful and perfect for the MOB and the teal one is fun and flirty and perfect for a cruise.

I love both of the dresses. I am not one to pass judgement on what the MOB should or should not wear. The best question to be answered is which one will you feel most comfortable in as MOB? and of course how about your daughter?

I personally, would wear the peach or pink or mauve whatever that color is as on the computer it is hard to tell. I would carry both on my cruise the long gown for the first formal night and the other for the second. Problem solved.

Cindy

Wear what you feel comfortable in and what your daughter thinks looks best. It has nothing to do with age, mother of bride status, etc.

I was mother of the groom in Dec at my son's wedding and I do not consider myself to be old, so there was no way I was even thinking about wearing an old lady fuddy duddy dress they call "mother of..." dresses!! No way!

My dress may have been considered "sexy" by some, by no means rique (below the knee, but open back and some sparkle)...very, very classy, not prom-ish. I had a gorgeous updo done (I would suggest that too! It looks so glam!!). I just wish I could have paid $12!!

Go for what your family thinks and if it will coordinate with the wedding party and have a blast!!

I have to politely disagree with you. While I think it's fine for a MOB to not wear a typical MOB dress, this is just not a style fit for a wedding. It's a cocktail party dress, a prom dress, a dress to wear on a formal night on a cruise ship.

A MOB wants to look beautiful and yes, sexy is great. But, she wants to look elegant and classy....and don't forget, the wedding pictures will show her in this dress for years to come. While I do think it's a great dress for another occasion, it just doesn't look suitable for a church wedding.

A MOB dress does not have to look "fuddy duddy" at all, there are a lot of gorgeous gowns out there that a woman can choose from.

There is nothing better than finding a great dress that looks great on us at a bargain price! Get it......whenever you find it....."escrow in the closet"....and BINGO, there will be a place to wear it.

That doesn't mean it's the right dress for ANY venue. I say that you trust the "gut" instinct you ventured in your earlier post, that the teal is really too "partyish" for MOB. I agree with you.

Having said that, I am not convinced that you really LOVE the rose one all that much or the question of the teal would not have even come up! Do you have a time frame to keep looking for an MOB dress? You don't really need to, the rose is lovely..........but you may find something you like better?

The rose is a great MOB dress. I think you must be one great looking lady if BOTH those colors look good on you.

I agree with Bonnie one hundred percent! I think the pink/mauve/peachy dress is PERFECT for a MOB dress. You'll be classy, elegant, and sophisticated ... and have no doubts about the dress being "correct" for your status, as you seem to be about the teal. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like YOU will be more comfortable in that dress at the wedding, which is a major factor. I'm sure you want to stand out but not to the point of risking any chance of feeling uncomfortable.

On the other hand, the teal dress is PERFECT for the cruise! For $12 you absolutely lucked out and should enjoy it for one of the formal nights. You'll shine and fit in perfectly in that setting in THAT dress.

I agree with the poster who suggested BOTH gowns on the cruise. What a perfect solution that would be. Two completely different looks but two beautiful looks!

Enjoy both gowns is my vote <g>.

Lynn

Thanks everyone. The reason I was questioning it is because my husband and daughter think the rose/pinkish dress washes me out but back in late August, I had a tan when I bought it. I took my mom and daughter to the bridal shop and they liked it. Also a couple people in the store commented on it also (customers) that they liked it. My daughters' future mother in law mentioned that it may wash me out also. As you can see, I am blonde, 5-1 and we won't talk about my weight (LOL). As for the cruise, I bought a red/black dress from Coldwater the day after Christmas and I was going to use that dress and the MOB dress for the cruise. Now I knocked out the MOB dress for the cruise and am using the red and teal dress for the it. They don't go to the floor but they are dressy.

I am still welcoming comments.

Thanks

Hey hon, I kind of agree with the person who suggested you keep looking for the MOB dress, if you have the time. You should feel STUNNING in your dress at your daughter's wedding, and you really don't sound like you're that fond of the one you've got. Can you take it back and keep looking? And what is the groom's mother going to be wearing? Maybe you can spin off of her outfit - color and/or stylewise.

Gingee I like both your dresses but I especially like the pink one for your daughter's wedding. It would look gorgeous with a matching pink or ivory coloured silk jacket as in the first picture or a chiffon scarf as in the second post! Thanks for allowing me to have fun dressing you!:)

No I can't take back the pinkish dress. It was David's Bridal and I bought it late last summer. I have really looked all around and this was the best I could find for my size. I don't like the jacket and dress look.

The other mother is wearing some kind of black sparkly dress.

The wedding colors are mainly black and pink.

Is the other mother's dress a cocktail style dress? If it is, then you could go with your teal .. but then the colors aren't quite right. If she's wearing black and sparkly, maybe you should wear black and sparkly too .... different styles of course, but would be coordinated and you'd BOTH feel very appropriate.

Again, defiinitely consult your daughter on this. Her opinion matters more than any of ours.

Have you considered maybe doing a spray on tan to get the same coloring as you had last summer when you liked the dress?

I'm giving a two thumbs up for the pink dress for the wedding. It's classy and elegant and not fuddy duddy at all. Perfect for a vivacious mother of the bride. From what I see in the picture, it also looks like a much higher quality than the teal.

I am trying out various "do it yourself tans" at home. I tried Coppertone on my legs and it is okay but only using it three times in a row. After that, it looks funky. I have Avon's on order now.

The thing with the pinkish/rose dress is that I have to wear Spanx under it since it seems to show lines (see my other thread on Spanx) and it isn't comfortable.

As far as me wearing black, well it isn't my color. The other mother is wearing a long black dress but she is tall and such and can handle it better.

[quote name='Gingee']Okay, I did not need a new dress for the cruise but I couldn't pass it up. It is a size larger than I wear but it was a good deal. Regularly $70 and I paid $12. Okay, I bring it home to get an opinion on it for the cruise and both my son and daughter like it better than my "mother of the bride dress" that I am wearing in April for her wedding. The cruise is in May. Now opinions please. Am I too old to wear this dress? Is it too fancy or sexy for a mother of the bride dress to wear in my daughters' wedding?

Thanks

Truth please.[/QUOTE]
[B][COLOR="Magenta"]I think it is pretty and looks great on you...as far as the wedding goes I think you need to take into consideration what you will be comfortable in, not just comfort but also wearing that style as the mother of the bride ....you may want something that has more material on the top..... good luck ! [/COLOR][/B]

Archived