Water Taxi, Caye Caulker, Snorkeling...anyone done this?

macyray

I am in a family of seven. The kids range from 5 to 17. For monetary reasons, I would like to catch the water taxi to Caye Caulker, and then find a snorkeling tour for those of us who wish to snorkel. I looked at tsuanimi tours and they look good. However, one needs to catch the water taxi to get to Caye Caulker.

Has anyone used the water taxi? And once on the Caye hired a snorkel tour? Any ideas or help appreciated.

I don't mind spending a few extra dollars for peace of mind, but it seems some of the excursion groups charge a real premium for picking up near the ship.

My cruise starts on 2/18 so I need to start booking. Thanks.

I've taken the water taxi over to Ambergris Caye before. It is really very easy. They stop at Caye Caulker on the way, so it's the same trip. You apparently tender very close to the water taxi, and they have a very regular schedule. I'm planning on taking the plane instead, because it's faster, but it is twice as expensive (still not bad, but with 7 people...yikes!). The snorkeling is great, and you'll have no shortage of people to take you out if you go to Ambergris. I'm not as sure about Caulker.

We are on the Norwegian Sun's 2/18 cruise and going to Caye Caulker using Coral Breeze. I was not comfortable walking out of the Tourism Village and walking to find the marina for the water taxis. I was also concerned about getting back in time because the water can become rough at any given time and it's about a 21 mile trip one way. Coral Breeze has a vested interest in getting us back to the dock in time to catch our tenders. The taxi's (while I'm sure they will try) don't. JMHO. There are 4 of us - adults - $39 each. Coral Breeze also has a great snorkeling tour that we took last year which includes Shark/Ray Alley and lunch on Caye Caulker with about an hour of time to sightsee.

Kathy

Archived