Which Belize "caye" w/ small (1&4) kids?

Guest kernfam01

Guest kernfam01

It sounds like we are going to take a Taxi to one of the Cays when we arrive in Belize. All we want to do is hang out on the beach, so were looking for nice sand and water. We want it to be a place w/ bathrooms and ideally showers. Also good food. We would also like to do some shopping, but are not interested in snorkeling, just a leisurley day. My retired parents will be with us also. How long and how much is the Taxi ride to the Caye you prefer? Thanks!

We just did the water taxi with our 2 year old to Caye Caulker. I think Ambergis Caye is too far- as Caulker was 45 minutes from Belize City, and Ambergis was much farther. Try to make the 9 am taxi- as next one is not until 1030- you can come back at 130 or 3 pm- I think. I also do not think that the water taxi's go anywhere else- but trust me- Caulker is beautiful. We rented golf carts and puttereed around the island- no paved roads- pleny of restaurants.ps Hold your kids tight on Taxi- it is extremely fast.

cruisehokie - would you recommend this for just my 3 yr old daughter and myself? My dh will be cave tubing and I want to take my dd to a beach. Are there bathrooms and showers available? Did you use the Coral Breeze taxi?

Thanks!

Guest kernfam01

I asked this same question in another forum and somebody said that some water taxis that go to caye caulker stop 20 yards out and make you swim in. Have you heard this? I can't imagine that they would do this to people w/ small kids. Also, how much was it to rent a golf cart? Were the 2 or 4 person carts, and were both (2 and 4 person) carts available? Would it be stupid to take a stroller to caye caulker? I know they don't work well on sand but really wanted to have one for naptime. Thanks.

That was me. I dont know if it was Caulker, Ambergris or Geoff that I read about the 20 yard out thing. I think it did say that they had some type of motorized contraption to take you out on if you couldnt swim. Sorry, I dont remember where I read this, most likely on these boards somewhere. That water taxi sounds too scary for me. My 9 month old cant sit still anymore, he keeps trying to jump out of my arms. Is your 1 year old much different? Even the poster above said to hold them tightly. When are you going to Belize? We will be there on May 3 on Summit.

Holiday 8/89

Festival 8/90

Fantasy 1/91

Tropicale 8/91

Costa ??? 8/92

American Hawaii ??? 8/94

Imagination 8/96

Radiance 3/02

Summit 4/04

A couple of answers: The Taxi does NOT make you swim to shore- The island is a vacation resort- there were many people just off the plane w/ suitcases and large families. I saw a single woman and her infant going to the island, but I think they were vacationing there. There are restaurants, small hotels- I am sure there were showers, but we were not looking. There are no Marriot type of resort hotels. I would take a 3 year old by myself- walk 150 yards to the right of the dock- and that is where you can rent golf carts which could hold 2-4 people, $15/ hr.-Not bad. Small strollers are fine- There are roads- but they are like packed sand. I imagine this place is what key west was like 50 years ago, That is the best way I can describe it.Do a google search- that and the reviews here from others really helped. We loved it - just did not have a ton of time

ps- Hate to say it- but us and another family missed Coral Breezes altogether- as we were on the first Non ship excursion tender, and they had already left. Something was up- and we have put in emails to the company to figure out what is up-I have read this happened to others.Thank goodness we had read about the taxis. Hope this helps

i929- I think that was Goff's caye-swimming in- and you are right- someone was pretty upset about that incident on this board. Also- the Water Taxi's do go Very fast- They do not warn you when you get on, We were going about 5 mph and all of a sudden we were Flying. I was just startled- took my wallet out of my shirt pocket and stuck it into my shoe, and held my wife and 2 yr old tight. My son had fun on the ride, and on the way back the boat was Half Covered- so we sat in the covered part.. There were about 30 people and loads of lugagge and supplies on the boat. It was safe- but I could definitely see where some would get a little nervous. The "Thriller" shore excursion thru the Cruise lines apparently goes 2x as fast.

how much is the water taxi ride? once you get there is there a beach near by and what is the cost of the beach? also, can you snorkel off the beach? thanks for the details! im going next week and would love your response. thanks again

Guest kernfam01

This gives me a little better idea about this. Thank goodness, no swimming to shore. LOL! I think I read somewhere else that the taxi ride was $17 pp under 10 (?) free, but not sure if that is round trip or one way. It sounds like this is the most family friendly thing to do for people w/ small kids, if we can just make it thru the boat ride. Since we know what to expect, I think it will be fine, as long as we hang on tight! Thanks again! oh yeah, one more question, is there shaded areas on the beach?

Guest kernfam01

cruisehokie posted this on the Belize board, where I had asked this same question, wanted to share, hope this is okay cruisehokie, thanks again for the advice!

Repost:

We did Caye Caulker w/ our 2 yr old 2 weeks ago. Beautiful island and a beautiful ride out on the water taxi( the water sure looks different than Delaware and Md)We gave some details on the family cruising board. We thought about the land vs beach dilemma- and decided that a 5 hr bus ride would be diff for any 2 yr old. We researched alot about the cayes and took much advice from these boards- and decided that while Goff's sounded and looked awesome- there is apparently nothing there- great for us- not for our 2 yr old. So we decided on Caye Caulker and copied what a prior CC poster had done- Ride the water taxi (very fast boat ride- 45 min)rent golf carts $15/ hr ( no paved roads) and had over to the "split"- which was created when a hurricane split the island in 2. There is a bar/ grill at the split, a small sheltered beach for little kids- and adults can hop the concrete barrier in the water ( i think it is part of the former road) and swim and snorkle further out. There are many small restaurants and rustic hotels w/ small beaches. I agree w/ earlier posters who said that these beaches probably best for kids-as there is thick sea grass further out.The whole island is only 150-200 yards wide- couple mile long. I would say that it prbably looks like key west 50 yrs ago. We loved the island- just know that it does not look exactly like 7 mile beach in the Caymans- and there are no Mega resort hotels.

Guest kernfam01

and I swear I'm done, LOL. I went to google and searched for caye caulker under images, and there are some beautiful pictures. Check them out. I can't wait! Also found official site of caye caulker, www.gocayecaulker.com. HTH!

I think h20 taxi was $15 RT adults/ 1/2 price for kids and our 2 yr old was free. In Belize city, you walk out of the tourist area where the tenders land, walk about 1/5 mile, and the Taxi Terminal is there. Looks kind of like a Bus terminal in US, with a little store to buy sodas and stuff. Anyone can point you in the right direction. It is run by the City, kind of like a Metro Bus, so while the boat goes fast, there are dozens of them which go all day everyday- it must be safe- we just were't expecting it. Caye Caulker- almost the entire island has a beach , which is free, its just that swimming for adults looked a little tricky in areas other than the split due to the seagrass. The split definitely had Palm trees w/ shade, as we parked our golf cart under one.

Archived