How do handicapped people do muster?

cjml

The crew is there to assist them, they are very well trained and know how to handle pax with disabilities. I think they (people with any mobility difficulties) are the only ones allowed to use the elevator prior to muster. The elevators are blocked off several minutes before muster drill starts.

There are some elevators that are always operational for the HC.

What we do is take our life jackets about 30 minutes prior to the scheduled muster and go to the deck the muster is on.

The main problem afterwards is getting an elevator to go back to the cabin. Sometimes my husband just takes the jackets via the stairs back to the cabin and I wait for him to return.

Hi, I fit the bill. I usually go 15 mins prior to the drill and find a bar on the same level. I bring my life jacket and wait for the drill to happen. Once I did not make my normal routine. I use a scooter. I grabbed my lifejacket and headed for the elevator. The crewman there allowed me on and up I went. He stopped others from getting on.

when the drill was over the crew only allowed those with wheelchairs, scooters and walkers on one elevator. No one else was allowed this elevator until all wheelchairs were gone.

We've experienced several methods to get us wheelchair users on the muster drills. Some lines have all of us meet in a central area (theatre, lounge etc.)assigned as the muster site just for disabled passengers. Other cruise lines allow us to use the elevators to the assigned muster site. What we do is go to the assigned muster site early, find a bar and have a drink, then muster, than the staff gets us on an elevator so we can return to our stateroom. Never had a problem no matter which cruise line or method used. I always ask the staff if it were a real emergency are we on the list of folks who need assistance. I then follow thorough and seek out the staff who is assigned to this duty. Pray we never need to really find out how the plan works.

How are handicapped people expected to do muster? It is my understanding that you are not allowed to use elevators during muster, is this correct?

When I cruise with my mother (wheelchair bound) they have always

allowed us (me pushing her) to use the elevators for mustering. They usually have one of the crew standing in front of the elevators to stop the non HC from using them. They usually are the ones who will press the button to call the elevator for us.

When the muster drill is almost over, they usually have let us return to the cabin before they release the other passengers so we can get to the elevators first.

Hope this helps.

compucruiser

Archived