Some questions from a 1st time cruiser...

MrGolf

Okay, a little background. My family and I (wife and I are in our mid 30's and kids daughters are 7 and 4) have always done AI vacations and of course Hawaii and other locations. This will be our first cruise and we're pretty excited. I have tried to read as much as possible in preparation but it leads me to several questions. One in which, involves alcohol. We're from Wisconsin so I'm sure we'll break the bank on that front.

1. What in the heck are all the acronyms.......dh dw ect...

2. Why would I need a magnet?

3. Why would I need a bungee cord?

4. Why would I need duct tape?

5. What she we expect? I think I have a pretty good idea but I would like your opinions!!!!

6. It seems the kids will have a blast..........would most agree?

Also, I should note that we'll be on the 4/1 sailing of the Victory (7 days).

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer.

Okay, a little background. My family and I (wife and I are in our mid 30's and kids daughters are 7 and 4) have always done AI vacations and of course Hawaii and other locations. This will be our first cruise and we're pretty excited. I have tried to read as much as possible in preparation but it leads me to several questions. One in which, involves alcohol. We're from Wisconsin so I'm sure we'll break the bank on that front.

5. What she we expect? I think I have a pretty good idea but I would like your opinions!!!!

Welcome to CC.. the Victory was our 1st cruise as well we had a blast.. I can try to answer your questions from our experience on the ship..

1. dh = dear/dearest husband you get the gist of it..

2. don't use the magnet it is to keep the air going while the balcony door is open.. you can turn the AC down or off (we could in our room it was on the ceiling)

3. bungee cord is for the balcony door.. not needed for us on the Victory the door stayed open on its own.

4. never have brought any.. could be used if your luggage rips apart tho.. or for other fixes..

5. she is a great ship.. expect lots of fun.. remember as with your AI vacations you will have all different types of people.. go with the flo and have fun :)

6. can't help you there we have no kids

Have a fantastic 1st cruise you will be hooked like the rest of us:p :D

1. What in the heck are all the acronyms.......dh dw ect... darling wife, dear husband, etc.

2. Why would I need a magnet? You don't... some think they can buck the system by using one to keep the AC on with the balcony door open, but it is a hazard.

3. Why would I need a bungee cord? To keep the balcony door open...

4. Why would I need duct tape? If your suitcase zipper breaks, it would come in handy (it happens, LOL), plus some think it fixes anything :p

5. What she we expect? I think I have a pretty good idea but I would like your opinions!!!! Expect about what? The cruise? Best to read the boards, read reviews, check out Carnival.com (FAQ's) etc.

6. It seems the kids will have a blast..........would most agree? Can't help you here... but I have heard the program is great.

Congratulations on your first cruise - the anticipation is half of the fun. I will try to answer some of your questions.

Acronymns - dh, dw, ds, dd - dear or darling husband, wife, son, daughter there are a ton more that I probably don't know.

Magnet - used to hold a note to anything that is metal like cabin door. Post it notes work well too.

Bungee cord - hold open balcony door (there are entire threads on that), hold bulging or broken suite case together

Duct tape - repair broken suitcase, zipper or back pack etc

As to what to expect - I can only tell you from my perspective. Our 7th cruise will be on the Spirit 3/23/07. It is my most favorite vacation. You can just relax and enjoy the water, your family and just being on vacation or you can do EVERYTHING or somewhere in between. I love the options eat as much or as little as I want (guess which I do), talk to everyone (as my son mentioned on one cruise - do you HAVE to talk to every person on the ship? - yup my goal), just be quiet and read and mostly just feel pampered. Have a great cruise. One thing we like to do is bring our own insulated cups with lids. We can go up to lido deck and get ice water etc and take it to the pool, our room or wherever - saves a lot of trips.

Have a great time.

Thank you for the great replies and warm welcome. I have been reading a ton on here for the last few days and have to say that I've learned a ton.

I sure hope I don't have to refer to my wife as DW though....... LOL

Well, let me see if I can clear up a few of these!

1> DH - Darling (or Dear) Husband same goes for Dear Wife (DW) A few others PVP - Personal Vacation Planer; TA - Travel agent, OP - Original Poster (I think).

2> Sometimes certain ships have a magnetic sensor that controls the air conditioner and the air turns off if you prop open your balcony door. The magnet can be used to trick the sensor into thinking the door is closed even when it is open...therefor leaving on the AC. There may be a few more uses, but I do not know them.

3> Bungee cords can be used to keep you balcony door open if the latch is broken (sometimes you need it anyway because the latch releases)..that is the main use....I think some people use them to help keep the two beds together when turning the twins into a king.

4> Not to sure with Duct Tape....never really brought any with me, but I am sure it can be used for something!!!!

5> Expect to have lots of fun!!!!!!!! There is ssssooooo much to do both on board and on the islands. It is wonderful at dinner with the signing by the waiters and the excellent food and presentations. Nice places to just sit and enjoy looking at the ocean while reading a book! Dance clubs, Karaoke bars....what ever you like to do it is probably there!!!!!

6> YES!!! I took my daughter on one in 2005 (She was just over 3 years old) and she had a BLAST!!! We did not take her to camp carnival because she just liked to be with the family and both my parents and my DW's parents were with us.

Hope this clears up a few of your questions!

mostly dh - dear husband, dw - dear wife, dd-dear daughter. it's just easier typing that rather than daughter, husband etc.

however, on certain days of the year I suppose the "d" could mean something else ;)

people who leave their balcony doors open say you put the magnet over the piece on the doorframe so the a/c doesn't go off.

we never leave the balcony door open, so I don't need to bring a magnet.

keep the door open, or if your luggage breaks open to close it. we bring them to strap the laptops onto the carry on luggage as we are walking thru the airport etc.

to secure your luggage should it break open would be one reason. I'm sure there are many others...lol

to have fun. If that's all you expect you'll have a great time.

oh yes, when my children were little like yours they adored the kids groups. Lots of fun stuff for them to do. Some kids don't like it, since they aren't used to being away from their parents. I think a lot depends on your kids. And the time of year you cruise. You'll be on a holiday week so lots of kids for them to play with.

We loved the victory. We sailed her years ago when she was quite new and did both western and eastern carribean on her. Once during easter and once over thanksgiving. We sail during major school vacations, so you can expect lots of kids. Which is why we sailed and still sail during those times. Our youngest is 17 now, so she likes to be sure there are a lot of kids in her age group.

If you have never been on a cruise, you will find good things and bad. Just like any other vacation. I always found when my kids were little they totally enjoyed the dining room experience because the waiters fawned over them.

We found cruising was an excellent family vacation so we have done it at least once a year, a lot of times twice a year when my children were young like yours.

enjoy your trip.

mary

Welcome to Cruise Critic (and our addiction to all things cruising!!)

Be sure to let the kids know that the water and soda in the room costs extra. You can bring your own (carry it on so there are no accidents). Since the kids are used to IAs, I did not want them run in and grab this stuff.

If you are into speciality coffees (Cappucino or Expresso) you can get them for free in the formal dining room at meal times. Otherwise they cost extra at the coffee shop on the Promenade.

The Spa area only costs extra when a person is needed...ie manicure, massage, however the other areas are included...sauna, gym, showers, hot tubs. This can be a great escape from the kiddies while they are in camp carnival.

All of Camp Carnival is included no matter what they do up until 10pm. After that it is $6 per hour for the first child and $4 per hour for each additional child.

Pizza, ice cream, room service is all included. (24 hours a day)

have a great cruise

"Formal night" might find your girls in something like sundresses/pantsuits/slacks with a "dressy top". The kind of clothes you probably wear to church...have your eldest wear when she is having her "class picture" taken. The other nights, are deemed "smart casual". Just have your girls wear the kinds of things your eldest wears to school on a daily basis. Nice sandals should be no problem.

The Victory is a wonderful ship! So far, she's our favorite. Camp Carnival is wonderful. Your kids will love it. We had a balcony cabin on the Lido deck and we did need the bungee cord to keep the door open. I know another poster said she didn't need it, but we did.

What she we expect? I think I have a pretty good idea but I would like your opinions!!!!

My DW and I are leaving in the morning for our fourth cruise:) . There is something very important that you and your family need to bring. Great attitudes and plenty of smiles:D and laughs:p . You guys are going to have a blast and get hooked like the rest of us here.

A suggestion on liquor/wine. Stop at an ABC store (liquor store) and buy what you need for your cabin. Put it in your carry on luggage. I have never brought liquor on board, but we bring 5 or 6 bottles of wine with us on each cruise. Have a great cruise and don't forget the laughs and smiles;) .

Archived