Family Programs/drop off

blackveg

Hi there, we are looking at going on a cruise but not sure that we want to use the "drop off" aspect of the children's areas. Would we be able to go into the children's areas with our children and play there with the facilities - or is that frowned upon?? Also, does anyone have any information about what cruises have really good family programs so we could play with the kids?

Thanks so much

It probably depends on the cruiseline. Some will not allow parents in the kids' area except for the orientation. Some will allow parents if they are accompanying a toddler. For the most part, the idea of the kids' program is that the kids can have fun doing their activities while the parents can go do their thing. Sometimes there are family activities (such as karoake), but most of the activities are for the kids only. How old are your kids?

The kids aren't actually mine, we're travelling in a group and the kids would be almost 4 and about a year and a half by the time we go. The parents aren't keen with the idea of leaving the 4 year old in a play group so I was wondering how much we should consider the children's play areas when we are making our decision. Thanks for all of your help so far.

Not to be critical, but a four-year-old is going to be going to school in a year (if not already in preschool). Eventually, a child needs to be socialized. Even mildly autistic children can interact with other children. How do these parents know that the kids' program won't be a good situation for the child, especially if they don't stick around?

I don't want to misrepresent them, especially since I know they read these boards too. I think though that the idea is that since it is a family vacation and the kids are part of the family we are looking for activities that include them in things with us instead of having them do one thing and the adults do another. I think that is more the reason for not wanting to leave them in a children's programme rather than a mistrust of the staff or other parents or other children. That's why we're looking for FAMILY activities rather than child/adult activities. Is Disney the best for this? Anyone know?

some of the cruiselines children's programs only take kids over 3yrs and potty trained. this should be considered when choosing. Also keep in mind you can use the programs as much or as little as you want. My kids love the kids areas, but we decide when they can go and for how long. We too like to do things as a family.

My 3 and 5 year old loved being dropped off to do their own activities in the HAL Club--they felt very grown up. I didn't see any parents hanging around to play with the kids. The kids club hours vary and you can leave them there the whole time or pick them up after a short time. Mine did not want to leave when I picked them up early one day. Mine enjoyed the glass bottom boat excursion and the pool and beach, but I don't think ports like St. Martin or Tortola have much to interest little kids if you're not doing a water taxi or other excursion. It's a vacation for them too and they loved being without parents. Also, we took them to dinner with us 3 times (once was formal) and I couldn't believe how well they behaved. The other times we ate in or got the front desk staff to babysit in the room. My 5 year old loooved ordering room service and was pushing us out the door.

I enjoyed taking my girls to the Princess play area - it was like a play group because other parents would be there as well. We did a Carnival cruise last time so my 2 year olds could be left at the kids program, which was nice, and we were always able to find places to play together even though parents weren't allowed in the kids room. The dance floor on the pool deck was usually empty and a favorite place for us to dance and fool around - also there are always empty public rooms or empty areas of deck.

Have a great trip.

Best,

Mia

I don't want to misrepresent them, especially since I know they read these boards too. I think though that the idea is that since it is a family vacation and the kids are part of the family we are looking for activities that include them in things with us instead of having them do one thing and the adults do another. I think that is more the reason for not wanting to leave them in a children's programme rather than a mistrust of the staff or other parents or other children. That's why we're looking for FAMILY activities rather than child/adult activities. Is Disney the best for this? Anyone know?

I have to say that last year on Princess this was my only gripe. I did not feel that there was enough (or any really) family activities. It did all seem to be focused around the pool.

I actually put that on my comments form.

They advertise a family cruise but its really kids doing kid stuff and adults learning the salsa! seems such a shame.

However my girls 3.5 and 5yrs at the time did enjoy some of the evening adult entertainment, (magic etc.)

I thought the voyager class, Royal caribbean ships looked quite good as there is ice skating ,roller blading and mini golf available.

I too would love to do a disney cruise but although they are sailing from Barcelona this year it is so expensive still. i live in Uk

Good luck ,if you find anything really geared up for families then please share!

Lou

Disney will NOT let you into the kids club area. They have the highest security I have ever seen on board, next to Carnival.

Unless my memory is fuzzy (and that could be true...lol) at Disney, we went to a desk, gave our password for our child and then was buzzed in to pick up the child. But that was all. You couldn't stay and play.

In Carnival, the wall is so high, it went to my chest. You weren't allowed to step foot into the room.

And I am all for a "family vacation". I don't go anywhere without my children, EVER. But, the child is 4. It's time to give the child some freedom and allow that child to socialize too. I am not saying to leave the child in the club all day long, but there is no reason to be leery of it. The clubs are a great experience for the children.

I think the key is balance. I wouldn't ever leave my child for the entire day at the kid's club (he'd be better off at home w/ Grandma), but it was nice to drop him off for 1-2 hours or so and go to the spa, gym, pool, or just "relax" in the room with my husband. One night we even got to go on a romantic dinner for two while he went to a kid's dinner. There were so many kid things he wanted to do that I had to limit it throughout the week so we could still get in family time.

I thought Princess had some activities that were "family" friendly, but my son is a bit older (10). We painted ceramics by the pool one day (you have to pay for this), went to a fruit carving demonstration, and played a TV trivia game one day. He also liked BINGO under the stars - I would let him punch the holes. We also enjoyed the dance shows onboard, afternoon tea (he was the only kid there and loved the pastries and sandwiches), and the a few of the typical pool activities.

I'm working on an article for Cruise Critic that focuses on family programming - not "kids only" activities - but things designed for or that work well for families to do TOGETHER. Would love to hear reader experiences -

I'm working on an article for Cruise Critic that focuses on family programming - not "kids only" activities - but things designed for or that work well for families to do TOGETHER. Would love to hear reader experiences -

One activity we liked as a family (better for the younger travelers) is on Carnival. They have a Build A Bear type program called Build A Buddy. We went to this as a family, picked out the animal, stuffed it, dressed it and my children had a souvenir that they had made themselves. :D

Archived