Cold Water Coward!

Woobie22

My DH and I will be traveling to Hawaii on the POH in April. We are looking to do some shore tours that include snorkeling, but my DH hates cold water. Does anyone know the water temperatures in Hawaii?

We are also looking at the Hollywood in Hawaii tour, has anyone done this and is it worth taking the day to do it?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

If Hawai'i is too cold, try a cruise to Tahiti next - I can guarantee he won't find those water nippy.

I don't like cold water either and have never had a problem with snorkeling in Hawai'i. The only place you might want to avoid would be Anaeho'omalu Bay, since there are underground cold springs that can be a little invigorating...

Charlie

We snorkeled several days in December and didn't find it cold at all. But it is all relative to each person. We live on the Pacific Coast where the water really is cold. ;)

Boy, is that the truth! It's funny when we say that though because so many people assume the Pacific water along CA's coast is warm...but it's frigid. Remember last year when the whole coast got that cold current so that our ocean temps were lower than Alaska's?

Once I was talking to a friend while in Norway. He (a Norwegian) simply couldn't understand why we don't jump in the ocean all year. I had to explain that, unlike Norway, we do not have the benefit of the gulf stream and that, in fact, the ocean waters around south-west Norway are warmer than what we have on our coast. They go swimming in the ocean in December for pity's sake.

DH is self-admitted cold water wimp. He almost always wears his super lightweight short-sleeved wetsuit top (not a shortie suit) no matter what time of year we are in Hawaii. It gives him just enough core insulation. We bought it for him on Maui one year, and I believe that several of the snorkel and dive shops do have them for rent. I do not usually find the water too cold, but it's definitely a few moments of getting used to it in the winter--as if I should complain about ocean temps of 77 degrees in December when here we have 50 degrees!

beachchick

My husband and I both took the Hollywood Movie Tour in Kauai and it was our favorite tour. They use a small bus, sits maybe 14 people, plus the driver and tour guy. They use a DVD and TV screen to show the movies that were filmed at the spot that the bus moves to. The guide keeps freezing the frame and tells you trivia as you visit the spot. It is lots of fun and you won't believe how many movies were made in Kauai. You get a printed sheet with a map and you can follow on that as you visit these spots. Part of the time you are taken to a beach, where a film had been made, and you get a boxed lunch and picnic. The weather for us was beautiful that day and added to the pleasure.

The tour is expensive, but we felt very much worth it.

Don't take the Atlantis Submarine tour in Kona; I wrote about this on another thread. It is a ripoff at $97 for 1 hour, and becomes extremely boring after 15 minutes.

Have a great time on your trip.

Thanks again for all the info. My DH said maybe 77 degree water won't be that bad.

Thanks also for the Hollywood in Hawaii information, this sounds like a lot of fun. Since our cruise was changed to only one day in Kauai we wanted to make sure that we chose the right tour. It was between this and the Waimea Canyon that everybody said not to miss. Do you know if this tour goes through that area at all??

Thanks again for all the help. It is sure hard to decide what to do.

Archived