need tips on traveling with an 18 month old....

Pshkbb

Our family (great-grandmother on down to aunts, uncles and cousins ages 10-3) is taking a cruise and we are planning on going with our 18 month old. I know that it can be dificult to take a toddler on a ship so I was hoping other fearless parents/grandparents on this board could offer me some tips and suggestions to help us make the trip enjoyable for one and all?

Do you know what the crib/pool/dining/bathing babysitting options are for an 18 month old on RCCL?

The last time we took a cruise we did not have an infant and I am hoping to make sure this trip will be smooth sailing for one and all.

thanks,

Karen

Cruising with an infant isn't that much more than everyday life with an infant it just requires alot of planning. My son went on his first cruise at 5 months, his second at 13 months and will be 26 months next time we sail. Make sure you take every medication known to man, even the ones you'd never think you'd need. Try finding suppositories in port when your child hasn't pooped in 4 days and you'll know what i mean. Make sure you bring plenty of juice boxes and mini cereal boxes because you never know what is going to be available on board. If you can afford it i recommend booking a balcony. It give you and your baby alot more room to enjoy. My son loves playing on the balcony and watching all the other boats when we are in port. We also have found that our portable dvd player is a life saver when we need a little break. It plugs right into the back of the cabin tv. There isn't usually much in the way of young children's programming and sometimes he needs a wiggles or elmo break. Make a list of everything you need to pack and triple check to make sure you packed everything. Don't let anything anyone may say on other boards here get you down. And if people on board give you nasty looks just ignore them.

Costa Victoria 2/99

CCL Fascination 2/00

Celebrity Galaxy 4/02

Costa Atlantica 1/03

NCL Sky 9/03

I agree with everything JJ's Mom said. May 16th will be our 3rd cruise but our first with our 22 mos old. I got the packing list from Benjamin's mom and it has been invaluable to preparing. I can forward it to you if you like if you email me at tharper@cinci.rr.com.

I also have ignored the wide variety of opinions regarding cruising with babies. We have jsut as much right to the ship as those who cruise without children. We will be respectful to other cruisers though.

We also have a balcony cabin and my parents are cruising with my husband and I so we will have another pair of hands to help with Dorian. This also insures that we can have a day or two on the vacation to ourselves. We made sure we had ajoining cabins so Dorian can go between cabins without going in the hall way. Also that makes it easier to watch him in the evenings if someone wants to go out.

We also plan to fly in a day early so we can go to the store and pick up what we need in Orlando/Port Can. Instead of trying to pack it all and lug it on the plane with us.

Have fun and plan, plan, plan.

Tess

RC- Marnier of the Seas 5/16/04

Carnival Paradise

RC- Majesty of the Seas

Hi, Karen! I'm "Benjamin's mom" from the above post. icon_smile.gif I second everything said above, particularly about taking along every medication you can ever imagine needing.

The fact that you're cruising with family will make things much easier for you (assuming that they're HELPFUL, DOTING family ). I think the key words for cruising with very small children are ORGANIZATION and DISPOSABLE! Get everything organized as well as you can while you're at home, and anything that you can take in disposable form...do it!

Although your little one will be eating mostly the ship's food, I would also advise taking along a couple of Lil Entrees meals (or something similar) for island excursions when you know you'll be away from the ship at lunch time. I packed everything I would need for a complete meal (disposable spoon, Bibster, Lil Entree, napkin) into a ziploc bag and threw it into the diaper bag before we lef the ship. By preparing things like this before you leave home, you don't have to worry about forgetting things in the rush on the ship.

Thinking "disposable," TableToppers, Bibsters and a few disposable sippy cups (First Years, 6 for $2) are wonderful. The TableToppers provide a sanitary surface for self-feeders who haven't quite mastered the art of eating from a plate, and the Bibsters and disp cups are great because you just use them and toss them. Greatly cuts down on daily dishwashing!

For your daily activities, be sure to factor in naptime, if your baby isn't a nap-on-the-go type. It greatly cuts down on dinnertime meltdowns if they're well rested.

My infant/toddler packing list has more about this stuff, if you're interested (TravelingTot@aol.com). Cruising with little ones is more difficult than cruising alone, but it's also a wonderful family vacation. Let me know if I can help you with any other questions, now or later.

10th Anniversary Cruise -- Paradise, March 2004

Two Little Sailors: Victoria's First and Benjamin's Fourth cruise -- Carnival Victory, October 2003

Benjamin Sails to Bermuda-- Carnival Triumph, May 2002

Benjamin's Birthday Cruise -- Carnival Destiny, Jan. 2002

Benjamin's First Cruise -- Carnival Victory 2000

Paradise 3/04 - Exotic W. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/03 - Bahamas

Carnival Triumph 5/02 - Bermuda

Carnival Destiny 1/02 - S. Caribbean

Carnival Victory 10/00 - Nassau

Inspiration 7/99 - S. Caribbean

Tropicale 1/99 - W. Caribbean

Carnival Destiny 7/97 - W. Caribbean

Fantasy 4/96 - Bahamas

Fantasy 7/94 - Bahamas

Karen,

Hi!!! Funny running into you on this board. I'll tell you all about cruising with a 9 1/2 month old tommorrow.

Lauren

Holiday 8/89

Festival 8/90

Fantasy 1/91

Tropicale 8/91

Costa ??? 8/92

American Hawaii ??? 8/94

Imagination 8/96

Radiance 3/02

Summit 4/04

Hey Cabinforfour!

Just wanted to let you know the sitnstroll was amazing for the cruise. Thanks again for the recommendation. People kept stopping us and asking what it was.

Lauren

Holiday 8/89

Festival 8/90

Fantasy 1/91

Tropicale 8/91

Costa ??? 8/92

American Hawaii ??? 8/94

Imagination 8/96

Radiance 3/02

Summit 4/04

please take a harness----we used ours 1st time on cruise----peace of mind when you are walking with 18 mth olds (we took 18 mth old twins on crusie last year). they can take off VERY fast. ask if there are times you can go into kids area with him (celebrity would not allow us in b/c in diapers). other ships do., also you can usually check out toys from kids club. bring a few comfort videos.

Archived