Going to Alaska on Princess - any suggestions?

jestme

We're leaving for an Alaskan cruise/tour with my 10 year old in a couple weeks. He loves to cruise (asks each day how soon!!!)since this will be his 3rd cruise, but I'm wondering if anyone has done Alaska with kids - suggestions plez. Which shore tours work well? Also, has anyone cruised Princess before with kids? We're on the Coral and I'm worried there won't be many kids this early in the season. As many parents of preteen type kids know - their life revolves around their "friends" even if it is just a kid they've known for a day. Any suggestions/info about Alaska and the Coral would be greatly appreciated. Mary

If your son likes wildlife be sure to take a whale watching excursion in Juneau. We did this the first time we went to Alaska and it was well worth the money. We saw humpbacks, Dall's porpoise (sp?), bald eagles etc. You won't get this type of wildlife viewing on the ship.

We are doing this excursion in Juneau again this year. Also doing the wheeled dog sledding in Skagway and a tour in Ketchikan with a visit to a bald eagle center (I can't remember the name). We've chosen excursions involving animals to interest my daughter (and us, too!)

If your son likes fishing - you may want to consider this in Ketchikan. Lots to do in Alaska!

Also, we did the salmon bake in Skagway. After the meal (which was pretty good) we panned for gold and spent time with a huge (I mean a GIANT) malamute. The people were all costumed and told stories about the gold rush days. Very entertaining.

Can't really speak about the kids' programs on Princess since my daughter was not old enough last year to join in on the Grand. She will be this year. All the counselors I came across on the ship were all very friendly.

Even though it may be early May, I'm sure that there will be children your son's age on the ship.

Have a great time.

Monarch 11/97

Elation 8/98

Mercury 8/00

Maasdam 7/02

Grand Princess 7/03

Island Princess 7/04

Jestme,

I am wondering the same thing but we're hoping to be on the Coral Princess in July 2005. Our daughter will be ten then, so I am really hoping you'll enjoy it and post a good review of the kids program when you return.

We were in Alaska in 2003, when our daughter was six. She really loved cruising and, like us, think Alaska is paradise. She enjoyed fishing off the bridges in Ketchikan, gold-panning in Juneau, and visiting the raptor center in Sitka. Our cruise missed Sitka because of bad weather. The highlights for my daughter, though, were both in Seward. She loved Seavey's dogsled camp because of the puppies and the Kenai Fjords sightseeing trip.

Anyway, I hope you have an excellent trip and would be very interested in your thoughts about the kids club, kids menu, etc. THANKS!

Legend of the Seas 8/02

NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Thanks to both of you!! We're registered for the dogsledding and talking about the whale watching. On our land tour portion we're hoping to go whitewater rafting, but don't know what else.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have sailed the Coral or any Princess ship and used the kids program. What activities do they have? The past 2x I've taken my son with me it's been on Carnival and he's had a blast. I've been on other lines w/o child and really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to kids when it wasn't part of my trip. How's the TV programming - do they have a scavenger hunt - is there a talent show - are there theme parties, etc. Thanks thanks thanks - the more info the better....and I will try to write a review since I'm a media person in my real life. Mary Ellen

• 3 years later...
Thanks to both of you!! We're registered for the dogsledding and talking about the whale watching. On our land tour portion we're hoping to go whitewater rafting, but don't know what else.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have sailed the Coral or any Princess ship and used the kids program. What activities do they have? The past 2x I've taken my son with me it's been on Carnival and he's had a blast. I've been on other lines w/o child and really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to kids when it wasn't part of my trip. How's the TV programming - do they have a scavenger hunt - is there a talent show - are there theme parties, etc. Thanks thanks thanks - the more info the better....and I will try to write a review since I'm a media person in my real life. Mary Ellen

My boys love princess camp (5 & 8). what i like about princess is they hire camp staff based on the # of kids on the ship (not carnival) they do everything especially on the bigger ships. on a couple they took them up to skywalkers for their own dance party.

i will tell you white water rafting in alaska is cold!!!!! did it last summer.

the horse back ride at the mt. mckinnley lodge was great

Alaska is one of my favorite destinations. It is very beautiful, scenic and the air is so clean. The ports are all easy to walk around and there is no fear of being robbed or having taxi drivers rip you off, etc. Really wonderful environment for kids- just fantastic.

Do the little towns at your own pace. My sons like the White Pass Railway and the skyride in Juneau. They loved the reindeer jerky that you can pick up in stores. Alaska has some interesting shops, especially in Ketchikan and I brought home lots of canned salmon.

Have a great time!

Alaska is one of my favorite destinations. It is very beautiful, scenic and the air is so clean. The ports are all easy to walk around and there is no fear of being robbed or having taxi drivers rip you off, etc. Really wonderful environment for kids- just fantastic.

Do the little towns at your own pace. My sons like the White Pass Railway and the skyride in Juneau. They loved the reindeer jerky that you can pick up in stores. Alaska has some interesting shops, especially in Ketchikan and I brought home lots of canned salmon.

Have a great time!

We will be taking our first cruise ever later this month on Coral (june 18 departure). It will be myself, DH and 2 DS (ages 9 and 8). As my 9 year old was a bit apprehensive about who he would be able to play with, I called Princess and gave them my booking number. They were able to tell me how many children in their age group (8-12 year olds) were booked on the cruise--87! So, both of my kids are really looking forward to meeting new friends, and lots of them!

Can anyone tell me if Khakis and a blazer will be ok for my son on formal night, or do I need to find him a suit? Thanks!

if that is ok with you, it is ok. i have never brought a suit for my kids. half the time on formal night the kids eat with camp or eat really quick with us then run to camp.

We were on a 10-day this month, longer length cruise during school. There were a total of 37 children 12 and under on the ship.

We had only booked one of the ship's excursions and then ended up canceling it, so we did our own thing in the ports. In Sitka we went to the Sheldon Jackson college Aquarium/Salmon Hatchery. In Juneau we did the Mt Roberts Tramway and Mendenhall Glacier. At Glacier Bay the kid's club had their own Jr. Park Ranger presentation. In Ketchikan we visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center... we almost went to the lumberjack show, but ended up at the discovery center while waiting for the next show and we loved it so much we stayed there and didn't go to see the lumberjacks. In Victoria we went to the Royal BC Museum which was just fantastic.

Archived