Sorrento to Napoli

Although I have previously been in Naples both by land and sea, I would like to finally see the treasures in the National Archeological Museum. I will be docking (?) in Sorrento. How do I go to the museum by public transportation? Do I take the Circumvesuviana railway? How does one get to the train station? Is it a long walk? If so which stop do I detrain at? You help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Fran

Although I have previously been in Naples both by land and sea, I would like to finally see the treasures in the National Archeological Museum. I will be docking (?) in Sorrento. How do I go to the museum by public transportation? Do I take the Circumvesuviana railway? How does one get to the train station? Is it a long walk? If so which stop do I detrain at? You help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Fran

Hi,

We were in Sorrento 2 years ago and went to Naples by hydrofoil. After riding the Circumvesuviana to go to Pompeii, my husband did not want to ride it again. The hydrofoil will get you to the Stazione Maritima, where all the cruise ships dock. If you take the hydrofoil, you can take a cab from the dock. My husband and I braved it and walked from the dock to the museum, stopping at two sites we really wanted to see in addition to the museum. We stopped to see the Church of Santa Chiara and Cappella Sansevero, which houses the marble statue of the Veiled Christ. If you have time, please see this statue. I recommend Rick Steve's book "Italy". He has a do it yourself walking tour of Naples called "The Slice of Neapolitan Life Walk", complete with a map that is so easy to follow.

Hope this helps.

Vickie

It is easy to get to the train station in Sorrento.

Please note that the town is one level higher than the beach and the port, maybe 60 metres, thus you should take the shuttle to the main square in Sorrento. From there it is a walk of maybe 5 minutes.

Of course there are also stairs to use and I used them for the descent but I happily forwent the steep ascent.

Franu,

I was in the area last September. The cirumvesuviana train is fairly slow (about an hour into Naples) but cheap- around a cople of euros. The hydrofoil is fast but can be very choppy depending on weather and susceptible to strong diesel fumes. It can also be cancelled when the weather is too rough. Having travelled to the museum by train, when we came out of the Archeological museum we walked down to the port to get the boat back, only to find that the ferries back to Sorrento were cancelled, and then had to get a taxi back to the station.

The trains are every half hour or so, but the ferry service is much more limited, and may not fit your timing.

Regards,

Paul S

Archived