Best Snorkeling Beach?

carol&jeff

Since our ship will be in port on a day when the sail/snorkel tours are not available (at least the ones we were interested in), can anyone recommend the best snorkeling beach in Aruba...that we could also get to on our own? I'm assuming we could take a cab? Thanks!

The website http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Aruba/index.htm does just a fantastic job of describing and mapping out the different spots you are able to snorkel from. Yes, I know the title says "diving" but if you read the reviews of each "dive" spot, though the website is for "shore dives" there are many many comments about snorkeling these sites as well.

Some of my personal favs:

All in the same general area:

Catalina Cove (just north of Boca Catalina)

Boca Catalina (shade palapas)

Malmok Beach (rocky)

Also popular, and IMHO, not bad:

De Palm Slope (on De Palm Island, thus not free)

Mangel Halto Reef (aka Spanish Lagoon)

Baby Beach Reef (the furthest taxi ride, thus more expensive to get to...)

We were in Aruba in January, 2006 and booked the Jolly Pirates tour. Check out http://www.jollypirates.com. We took the bus from the cruise terminal, very inexepnsive and safe. Arrived at Mooba Beach where we found the sign up booth for Jolly Pirates. They take you out on a replic pirate ship and stop at three different sites. The first two were near the beaches and shoreline. We had excellent vis and the coral heads were teaming with sealife. After an excellent lunch, we used the rope swing from the deck. Hey, I am 50 years old but this was a blast. We continued to our thrid stop which is the wreck of a German WWII freighter. Again, excellent vis and abundant sealife. After the cruise, we stopped at a local beach bar and sipped a few Balachis. We took the bus back to downtown. Best day of that cruise. We would definately return.

Wayne and Cathi

Miramar Beach, Fl.

• 1 month later...
Since our ship will be in port on a day when the sail/snorkel tours are not available (at least the ones we were interested in), can anyone recommend the best snorkeling beach in Aruba...that we could also get to on our own? I'm assuming we could take a cab? Thanks!

Last year, we rented a car from Avis, right outside the ship termnial. Cost was $ 30 for the day, and we drove down to baby beach, where the snorkling was fantasic. Having our own car was great as we were able to lock our faluables in the car while on the beach. After lunch we went on a tour of the island and only spent about $ 10 in gas for the entire day

Pick up and drop off of the car was about 1 block from the pier and as easy as could be

Archived