Island Marketing no longer has Maruba for tours....GOOD NEWS!

sharecruises

Good news....as stated on the "spider monkey" thread,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=450869

I wrote to Island Marketing to let them know that I and others won't use them cause they also book Maruba Spa....the place where an American Cruiser was horribly bit and mauled by the Resort's pet monkey and the resort is doing NOTHING for her, stonewalling and their insurance is stonewalling

Well, I am happy to say that Island Marketing wrote me back, they are aware of the situation and not taking reservations for Maruba, and will now put this ON their website, which makes me very happy....I am glad that I wrote to them and will find other places in Belize where we can write to try to get some help for Kelly.

Here is the letter from Tracy at Island Marketing:

Good morning Cheryl,

Thank you for taking the time to write us. We are not currently taking any

reservation for Maruba at the moment due to this very unfortunate incident,

all of our reservation agents have been informed not to accept reservations

for these excursions. We are awaiting the outcome and are also hoping that

Maruba will do the right thing. Personally we do not feel comfortable

booking anyone for the spa or the horseback riding at this time. We were

hoping for this to be resolved quickly but unfortunately that does not seem

to be the case.

I will discuss this with our Managing Director as we should place at least a

statement on our website that these are temporarily unavailable until this

has been resolved or until the decision has been made to permanently remove

them from our website

Kindest Regards,

Tracy

Thanks for the kind words Cruisemonkey!

~~~

Boo's Mom,

JMO write to Tracy, I think they should/would refund your deposit or let you book another excursion...

if you want horseback riding, ask for your deposit back and tell them that you realize Maruba is not safe and that they don't think it is safe or that they can guarantee your safety...

you could book with smuggler's run for horsebackriding, Trevor there seems very nice

JMO we need to stand up for Kelly....what if YOU were hurt at Maruba and they did nothing.....wouldn't you want others to stick by you ?

I love spa stuff...but I would not go there, they obviously do not protect their guests or care if they are hurt. Yes, accidents happen....IF a flamingo bites you at Flamingo Gardens here in South Florida, or a croc bit you on an Everglades tour, I am sure you would have a variety of personal injury attorneys willing and ready to defend your case, and good medical care, rehab, plastic surgery whatever it takes, all out of pocket, based upon payment by the insurance company...chances are there would be a "nice" monetary settlement beyond expenses and lost wages.

Here is a young woman who may limp for life, who has to rely on her own insurance or pay out of pocket, who is out of work, and depressed with NO concern or help from the owners of Maruba Spa.

Third world country...fine....let's not punish the whole country, Belize did not do this, the pet monkey at Maruba did it. Maruba seems to be pretty well off for Belize, and charges high rates , their facials and body wraps are comparable to a US day spa, in a country where the cost of their body wrap might be a families weeks wages.

JMO Maruba has some sort of insurance and /or the financial ability to step in and help Kelly. Hopefully there will be a Belize lawyer who will help her, tho she may have to pay as mostly the USA has lawyers who sue on "consignment", no money up front, the insurance companies pay them.

That is why it is important to let Maruba know that other American's will not go there...and will not use companies that associate with them

Tracy did say they are not booking new reservations, I think they should refund old ones, as they can't guarantee any safety or help or insurance coverage at Maruba.....Island Marketing did take the Maruba off their front page but link is still accessable thru the bottom of the page

here is their email..

request@belizecruiseexcursions.com

BoosMom, write to Tracy for a refund??

And I hope others will write to them also and make sure they take booking link off of their site, let them know how we feel about this tragedy and the uncaring people who own Maruba Spa.

I am in contact with Kelly and she seems cheered by the fact that Island Marketing is at least beginning to admit something is wrong here

and hopefully removing them from their bookings

Kelly reports that she will have her last rabies shot on Feb 23...just imagine getting rabies shots, dealing with doctors and insurance in the states for a monkey bite!

She has posted her pictures and a complete report of that horrible day at myspace, maybe drop in and send her some encouragement!!

http://www.myspace.com/attackedbymonkey

• 4 weeks later...

Archived