Gift from Travel Agent?

vesw01

It's not standard... I have had TA's in the past that had gifts delivered to wherever we were staying... our TA for our cruise did not. I think it is more common that they don't... but I have heard of some that do. I would appreciate just a simple card when I return, thanking me for my business and if there is ever anything, yadda yadda... nothing from my TA. I always send a thank you card to all of my customers... guess that is why they always come back :D

I have heard from others that their Travel Agents had something delivered to their room as a gift? Is this standard?

Some TA's regard it as a cost of doing business. It is part of marketing. We base our onboard gift on the amount of commission we receive and figure a gift to be a maximum of 10% of our commission. If we make very little on a short cruise, we will offer free airport parking.

An online TA we used to deal with had it stated in the fine print not to expect gifts because they give the lowest price and gifts are actually paid for by the customer in higher charges. Didn't really matter to us. The only time we ever got a gift was when our TA screwed up and it was going to cost us big time. We being honest paid the amount owed and he sent us a free glass of wine at dinner and called Carnival and begged for a great upgrade for our entire group.

I've only received a gift from my TA once -- LONG ago before the www when I paid close to brochure price for a cruise. :o We booked 3 cabins, and there was a nice little floral basket in each of them.

My current TA provides great service and a very low price. I sure wouldn't expect him to provide a gift on top of that. I'm receiving a $100 cabin credit on my Conquest cruise on top of a great fare. Would much rather have that than a gift! :)

i have rec'd free wine and flowers and i have rec'd nothing..not even the ship credit i was promised one time. i was talking to a B&M (brick and mortar) TA and when i told them that an on-line agency was gonna beat their price by $25 per person and could provide an extra $100 after cruise Visa card - she told me she could understand me choosing them, but i was giving up personal service and her free in-cabin gift. She did call carnival to find out about the $100 Visa card...but said it was only available through this on line agency. So i went with online and have 100 on board credit and 100 on visa after the cruise.

i think the in cabin gifts are a VERY good customer service idea.

We have always used the same TA. She gives us great prices, even cruised with us once. That cruise, we (Group of 8 couples) each got a bottle of champaigne one day, a plate of chocolates one day and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries one day. She always goes above and beyond and we always go back to her.

Our first couple of cruises, our TA sent us a small gift with our docs. In one case, a beach bag with an underwater camera and such stuff. But after 9-11, the gifts disappeared as their commissions on airfare were reducing. I don't mind as long as I get great customer service. I did stop doing business with that TA for this cruise, as the last few times, I had to find the best prices, she was only booking what I told her to book. No value. So, this time I simply with a Carnival PVP and so far we're happy. I doubt our PVP will provide any gifts, as he's a fairly new Carnival employee and hasn't even taken his first cruise yet!

My online TA had a bottle of champagne (iced) sent to my room when I cruised the GLORY on my birthday.

That champagne along with being the lowest of the 5 online sites I queried was the best gift of all. I was delighted. ;)

Upon returning home, I then get a thank you note along with a coupon for $50 off my next cruise with them. :)

I must have done something very good in my past to warrant such treatment. :D

My TA (who happens to be a good friend of my parents , so that could be a factor) has always been very good to me .

On my Honeymoon, he sent a beautiful fruit and food basket to our cabin.

Another trip he sent flowers to my then wife.

A nice bottle of Champagne another time.

Always finds a good deal here and there and arranges to get us some type of perk. An upgrade to first class, a upgrade on a rental car , something like that

Again he is a family friend and we do throw a lot of business his way, but he has been around a long time so I am sure he treats all his clients very well.

Plus he has been EVERYWHERE and knows the greatest places to go in just about every location.

You can go in and say I want to go here , stay at this hotel blah blah blah.

He will say "ya know that is great , its a nice place and all , but for the price such and such is just as nice and you would get this this and this included." Or this is better, or he thinks we would enjoy this better. So far he has never steered us wrong.

I always used to get a bottle of wine. They had it brought to the table at dinner. But that was a long time ago. Now, I book through Carnival, and I don't get a gift, but they do have the great past guest party and I'll take that every time!:)

My TA always provides my group with not only great service and the best possible group perks carnival offers but she also always has a nice gift waiting in our cabins at embarkation. Photo coupon, wine, bar credits, gift basket just to name a few of the things she has given on different sailings. If we are flying long distance she will even give a snack pack for the flight.

With the ever decreasing commission for these agents it nice to see that at least mine is willing to give back to her faithfull clients.

Archived