Children and IDs

JerseyJ24

We're going on the Sensation on Aug.21st and need to know what the procedures are regarding identification for children. (5 of them ages 8-14) Obviously they can't present driver's licenses. Would birth certificates be the way to go?? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

JJ24

If the children are all yours, birth certificates should be okay. It may be possible to go to your local DMV to also get photo ID's. We can do it here, but not all states will do it on the spot. School ID's with photos would be helpful as well. If any of the children are not yours, you will need a signed and notarized statement from the parent(s) stating that you have their permission to have the children travel with you and for you to obtain medical treatment if necessary. Someone here should have a link if this is the case.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Here's the link to Travel Documentation from Carnival's website. Children under 16 years of age do not need a photo I.D. Certified copies of their birth certificates will be fine. I'm assuming all these children are yours. If not, you need additional documentation as the other posters have stated.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

Just wanted to add that if one of you is a step-parent, Carnival doesn't require your ex to give permission. I called Carnival and had the girl really check, because RCCL does require the ex to give notarized permission.

well my daughter is coming with me and my husband (her stepfather) my daughter is 15 and has not seen her father since last october. so i should be okay right? i am sure there are kids that don't see their parents. i have her birth certificate - as her last name is different from mine, should i bring my divorce papers stating i have physical custody - i don't want to go there and they turn me away

I have researched this quite a bit.

There are a few things that come into play here and a lot of it has to do with how cruel your ex could be, how much your daughter dislikes you and your luck.

If your papers show you have joint custody the 'legal' part says you need written notarized permission from the other parent. If the other parent knows you are going to a foreign country a simple call from him to any of your port's police stations could cause you to be arrested for kidnapping and flight from the country. This is especially possible in Mexico if that is one of your ports. So, if you and ex are friendly and he doesn't mind this cruise....probably won't have a problem there. However, if your daughter gets mad at you and thinks to talk to a cop while in a port, SHE could get you arrested. MY oldest son would have tried that....but i don't think most kids will.

And finally, it has to do with luck. If you don't have the right papers and it is possible since your names don't match....you will be pulled aside and not allowed to board without a lot of hassle - at any of the ports.

In my opinion....you are best to just contact the ex and get a notarized letter stating that he knows she is travelling with you.

There is a link on one of the sites for a pre-done letter. I saved it and modified it so the names were already in and I listed the dates, etc before printing it out to give to dh's ex. If you want a copy, email me at bethm214@comcast.net and i will forward it to you.

Good luck with however you decide to do it!

Archived