Windstar general question - are we too young?

beynac

Greetings everyone. First time posting on this board.

My husband and I are considering a Windstar cruise for our anniversary in a year and a half. It seems like a perfect fit for us. We learned on a recent cruise that "big ships" do not suit us well, and everything I have read about Windstar seems fantastic.

My concern is that we may be too young for the ship. I will be 33, my husband 35 at the time we travel, and we look young for our age. Don't get me wrong, we love meeting people of all ages and types, but I don't want to spend the week feeling a bit out of place and not able to connect with people who may be at the same life stage (with young kids at home, etc.).

For those who have cruised Windstar before, can you tell me your thoughts on this? The website lists the average age around 55, if I remember correctly. Perhaps my concerns are off base and there are several 30-something's traveling on this line. Just would love to hear some feedback on this topic.

As you are aware, most people who cruise are generally older because of several reasons. Of course, there are several ships that specialize in kid activities, but for the most part cruise ships have activities geared for those who like to have certain amanities such as great food, a relaxed atmosphere and shore excursions that are relatively easy to do.

However, said all that, our experience has been that with the Wind Star ships, you can have both worlds. There are several scuba diving trips if you are a diver; some of the islands we have been to have beach time with lots of snorkeling, water skiing, etc. There is a small gym aboard the ships and two pools on the Wind Surf. Then the sports deck (when it was operating) offers sailing, kayaking, banana boat rides, and swimming in the ocean.

Furthermore, we have met several young folks around your age who were aboard and never complained having to be amongst older folks who like the casual atmosphere rather than the stuffy, almost mandatory "formal dress code". Wind Star folks tend to be younger at heart.

Take my wife for example. She is in her mid sixties and looks and acts like she is in her thirties.

Happy Valentine's Day, my dear.

Welcome beynac!

My husband and I were just about your ages when we started sailing Wind Star 10 years ago....our honeymoon! We leave in a couple of days for our 10th sailing...we wouldn't do anything else! As for the age groups.. you'd be surprised! We've hung out with older/younger and everything in between..I think it's a mindset...Some of the older couples (in their 70-80's!) have been the first ones jumping out of the zodiacs and taking banana boat rides. You have to be an active and mobile person (especially on the smaller ships) As for kids...we have three and you'd be surprised how many people have pictures of their kids (and grandkids!) to show. This is our one week a year to re-connect with each other...as I always say "if momma ain't happy...no one is happy!"

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback.

I liked the "young at heart" comment. :)

It really sounds like this cruise line would be a perfect fit for us. We are active and love the idea of a smaller, intimate ship with out all the "rah rah" we found on a recent cruise.

Now if only we could sail tomorrow....

i agree with all the comments. We found Windspirit (1/27 - 2/3) average age to probably be 50s-60s. Some younger, many older. But as opposed to most cruises - even the "olders" were extremely active. If you're interested in great food, great ports, great service, friendly people, a romantic experience (if you're inclined) and a lot of great "day"/water activities - this is the cruise line for you. but don't expect a lot of nightlife. It's a quieter kind of cruise experience. And, by the way, WE LOVED IT!

Ahoy Beynac:

I can only reaffirm WAGSALOT's comments. I took my first Windstar cruise when I was in my mid 30s and have now sailed on Windstar 30 times if that gives you any encouragement.

Have a great time!

Bill

I hesitate posting this on a Windstar thread - but we have also taken Windstar - and really enjoyed it. We were the youngest (at 35) by 2 decades, but everyone did seem to have the same young mind set. We have since sailed with SeaDream, and find that you generally BE a younger crowd. Still have the friendly feel of Windstar, but younger and more upscale without being snotty. You might want to some research on them as well.

My husband and I just spent my 45th birthday on the Windspirit St thomas cruise. we also this past fall took the Windsurf Lisbon to Barcelona. While the crowd seemd younger on the carribean voyage we met many couples that we clicked with and age does not seem to matter. It is a very active and well traveled friendly crowd.

Archived