NCL Car Rental Rates Per Person?

RSWBADGER

I know I have seen this discussed in the threads, has anyone rented a car through the NCL Shore Excursions and what was their experience.

Are the rates quoted per person?, (Example, KOA-292, Kona At your Leisure, Convertibles, $71.00, 8:00 AM Pickup), or do you list just 1 person, can the other person get off the ship with you without a voucher?

Do you board a shuttle to the Location?

Is this more convienient than booking direct?

I've already have a rental in Kauai, I am looking to book a rental in Kona but don't want to wait in long lines to pick up car at the hotel or be shuttled to the airport.

Actually I just spoke to a NCL excursion representative. You only need to pay for the driver. She indicated if you check both parties online it automatically calculates double the amount. Her advise is to call and book rather than using the online system. Spleenstomper, I would advise you call NCL, you should have only been charged $71.00.

Also the 4 hour reference is only a minimum time period, you can actually keep the car longer.

We also were charged for two people when we signed up on the NCL website. Unfortunately for this, as well as all other online excursion registrations, to have to call NCL to cancel or modify. The person at NCL was very nice about reducing it to one person. Based on the threads on this website though I have reserved a call separately at an agency at the King K. hotel and am thinking of cancelling with NCL. Does anyone know which agency in Kona NCL uses and whether it is at the hotel or at the airport?

You only need to book one person, problem is when you do it online it checks both passengers by default and it's easy to forget. When I booked mine (for Hilo and Kauai, going in May) I forgot it on Hilo so I was set to be double-charged for the rental. One quick phone call fixed it.

However, I have YET to read a post on these boards, or anywhere else, from anyone who has gone through the NCL rental experience yet. NCL reps do say "minimum of 4 hours" but cannot tell you how long you can have the car. Since so many people have used Thrifty, I booked Thrifty cars and it's actually slightly cheaper than NCL. Thanks to CruiseCritic posts, I know what to expect. I can also keep it overnight in Kauai and get to my car earlier the second day. I've not cancelled my NCL rentals yet but odds are I will.

Signed up for the "Blue Chip" program with Thrifty. Booked 2 days for our Maui stay on-line.

http://www.thrifty.com/locations/index.aspx?state=HAWAII&popUpString=&targetControlNames=&ParentPageName=

Chrysler Sebring $28.70 a day with unlimited mileage.

Pickup at terminal to Airport which is less than 2 miles away.

Problem solved. :D

Both Dollar and Thrifty are at a desk at the main entrance to the King Kam. Book ahead as last week there were no cars left for walk-ups. We booked with Dollar as I couldn't find the Thrifty web site there - it was a beautiful mid-sized car for less than $41 for the day. I hear Thrifty is cheaper. The King Kam is right next to the tender pier - couldn't be handier (the airport is a long taxi ride away). Nancy

Archived