Royal Caribbean/Princess how do they compare?

jenjes3

Hi, husband & I have sailed with Royal Caribbean 7xs and have always enjoyed our cruises. We now have received a good price on the new Princess Crown from NYC. We live in NJ so this would be ideal. It is for 9 nights. The price is much better then Explorer which we have sailed before.

Anyone sail on Princess and Royal Caribbean.. thoughts, opinions, etc. What will we miss? Should we give Princess a try?

Thank you.

Give Princess a try...DH and I have been on both lines and we've had a great time on both.

We are two "foodies" and found the dining room meals on RCCL to be "basic". Princess dinners have seemed more "exotic" to us...escargot, baked clams, veal chops, filet , osso bucco and of course that signature Baked Alaska! I'm also not a big fan of the "waiter parade" that RCCL does on that last night.

We choose our voyages based on the itinerary and price (incl. cost of air and pre-cruise lodging) and with everything equal, we'd choose Princess based on food quality.

I have been on Carnival (one of their older ships, the Elation), RCCL Mariner of the Seas, and the Caribbean Princess (twice). I would honestly say that I enjoyed all 3 lines and had fantastic experiences. I enjoyed the inside Promenade area on Royal Caribbean, and my sister and I were actually able to have an inside room with a window and a view (it was very cool to watch the Promenade Parade from our stateroom window). Other than that, though, and the different art auctions (Park West vs. Princess Fine Art), I found them to be very comparable. I liked our staff on both ships, and I liked the activities on both ships. I find the Princess public rooms to be a bit more elegant, but all in all, they are comparable. I think you'll have a terrific time on Princess. I wouldn't hesitate to go on Princess, Royal Caribbean, or Carnival again (in fact, the only cruise line I've heard constant complaints about is NCL, which is too bad, because they have very good prices).

I posted these comparisons about a week ago in a RCCL thread and some very loyals picked some of it apart so here goes:

Princess - Anytime dining and traditional dining

RCCL - Only traditional dining

Princess - 24 buffet

RCCL - scheduled hours for buffet as well as a few midnight buffets on our 9 day

Princess - I prefer the desserts Princess offers

RCCL - Somewhat tasteless, cookies in buffet were good

Princess - Fresh water pools

RCCL - Salt water pools

Princess - frig in all rooms

RCCL - we did not have in OV on GOS in Oct. In Jr Suites and above and other ships according to other posters

Princess - Sailaway was great in NY as well as Alaska

RCCL - Hardly knew you were on a sailaway in Baltimore

Princess - More laid back atmosphere

RCCL- busier atmosphere Quest (adult game) Rock wall, etc.

Princess - Can bring your own wine

RCCL - no alcohol allowed to be brought on

Princess - Head waiter in our experience reserved and somewhat nasty to employees No real contact with us.

RCCL - Very helpful and visible head waiter.

These are just some comparisons. Both lines had great staff from waiters to the room steward to anyone you come in contact with on the ship. We had a great time on all the cruises we took. You will have fun on either. We are considering the Crown since we live in NJ as well and the price is a few hundred dollars pp cheaper than RCCL plus it is going to Bermuda. I'm reall not that interested in Haiti or the Dominican Rep. They are both supposed to be beautiful but just not our in our interests. You will have fun which ever you choose.

We have been on RCCL 8 times and are now taking our 3rd Princess. For us, the only reason we have done more RCCL's is itinerary. We like going out of San Juan and Royal has most times had better trips. The ships are all gorgeous, and they are really comparable as far as what you are getting. We have had fridges in every RCCL we have been on with the exception of the small ships. We are actually taking the Crown Princess on a back-to-back in April out of San Juan and are very excited. We like lots of time on the islands which is one reason we like going out of San Juan. As far as bringing booze with you - we have packed stuff on every cruise we have ever taken, and never have had any trouble. Just pack it rather than carrying it on. If you can get a good deal on Crown, go for it. I think one thing we will really like is the anytime dining. It is really the only thing I wish RCCL would change. Food is not a big thing to me, so menu variations really don't matter since I don't eat meat or seafood and do my damnest to stay away from any type of dessert. I also don't eat breakfast, so can't give you any opinions on the breakfast buffets, but my husband always says the food is good on either line.

For me it is all about the atmosphere, islands, pretty ship, good fitness centers, shows, and nice rooms with balconies. I don't think you can go wrong with Princess at all. Have fun, we are counting down the days!!!!

It seems these comparison questions arise nearly every week. You will receive differing opinions, especially if post question on RCCL thread as well. Both have neg and positives. My advice, if you truly love RCCL, stay with them. If you are willing to try a new experience, then try it, regardless. Cruiseline is the third choice for us, first is the ports, then cost.

I posted these comparisons about a week ago in a RCCL thread and some very loyals picked some of it apart so here goes:

Princess - Anytime dining and traditional dining

RCCL - Only traditional dining

Both have alternative restaurants such as Sterling Steakhouse & Sabatini's (Princess) and Chops and another italian style restuarant (RCL).

Princess - 24 buffet

RCCL - scheduled hours for buffet as well as a few midnight buffets on our 9 day

Princess - I prefer the desserts Princess offers Best food in dining room

RCCL - Somewhat tasteless, cookies in buffet were good Best food in buffet depending on the ship.

Princess - Fresh water pools

RCCL - Salt water pools

Princess - frig in all rooms Not on Tahitian Princess/Pacific Princess which have them only in mini suites/suites.

RCCL - we did not have in OV on GOS in Oct. In Jr Suites and above and other ships according to other posters We were in a suite on the Radiance and didn't have a frig at all. It was more like a cooler that didn't keep anything cold much less cool.

Princess - Sailaway was great in NY as well as Alaska

RCCL - Hardly knew you were on a sailaway in Baltimore

Princess - More laid back atmosphere Lots of activities depending on cruise and time of year.

RCCL- busier atmosphere Quest (adult game) Rock wall, etc.

Princess - Can bring your own wine

RCCL - no alcohol allowed to be brought on

Princess - Head waiter in our experience reserved and somewhat nasty to employees No real contact with us. Never had rude staff on Princess. Our dining room staff has always been among the best

RCCL - Very helpful and visible head waiter. Rude staff on Radiance except in the dining room (great); cabin staff were indifferent; purser's staff rude and uncaring.

These are just some comparisons. Both lines had great staff from waiters to the room steward to anyone you come in contact with on the ship. We had a great time on all the cruises we took. You will have fun on either. We are considering the Crown since we live in NJ as well and the price is a few hundred dollars pp cheaper than RCCL plus it is going to Bermuda. I'm reall not that interested in Haiti or the Dominican Rep. They are both supposed to be beautiful but just not our in our interests. You will have fun which ever you choose.

My thoughts are added to the above. Both lines have beautiful ships. I found the cabins more comfortable and a bit larger on Princess although the Rhapsody junior suites were quite nice.

If you go out of the Brooklyn Red Hook terminal, check-in is quick and easy. We arrived at the pier at 12:00 and got right on the ship--no lines. People tend to compare other ships/lines but each is a bit different and you get to where you have your preferences. Even though I swear I'll never go on another RCL ship, I am still planning on possibly going on one in 2008. Maybe the third time will be the charm that will really turn my opinion to the better about RCL.

I will probably have more to say after I am on CB in 2 weeks... but having mostly good/great RCI experiences (and one disaster)...and Diamond Princess... well if you really enjoy the atmosphere on RCI ships, I just found it completely different on Princess. Princess is all about lots of smaller, hopefully intimate, spaces, and the idea of "escaping completely"... and RCI is "get out there" with all the activities and extras and big dramatic spaces. Personally, I felt a bit hemmed in and crowded on the Diamond, and missed the big feel of RCI. Food is so subjective. Personally I thought the food on Diamond was some of the blandest and most boring of all my cruises.. Horizon Buffet was chaos for layout, whereas in Windjammer you have all the food stations spread out...and I always found things I liked on RCI - but so many will disagree with me. But in my "worst" experience, I still have managed to enjoy my cruise and enjoy my vacation, and am glad I got to experience something new... so give it a try.

Archived