Insurance question

This is not cruise related but I will worry about it while on my cruise. My husband's back gave out last Aug. by Oct he needed surgery. We have health insurance and in Aug he needed to go to the emergency room. We always go to a local hospital which is in our network and this day was no different. Well recently we have been getting collections notices and calls. After alittle investigating I was told that it was the physicians bill. Although we went to an in-network hospital, the physican was NOT an in-network doctor therefore we have to pay his $200 bill (minus the deductible). I replied the hospital was in network so I assumed the doctor working there would be too, their response was not always and it is best to ask! Out of principle I am NOT paying this---do I have a leg to stand on?? Can you imagine in the middle of your heart attack, asking is your physician in network (even though the hospital is) and if not sayng no do not work on me take to another emergency room and starting all over!!!

I don't think you have a case. What you described is very common and your insurance plan probably states that may happen.

I really don't understand why you're refusing to pay. You went to the ER because your husband had a medical emergency, a doctor treated your husband there, and now you don't want to pay him $200? How would you have reacted if the doctor went through all the paperwork to ensure his fee would be paid BEFORE treating your husband?

Your last line puzzles me. If someone went to an emergency room because they were having a heart attack where every minute counts, why they they even consider wasting precious time by going to a different emergency room if the current attending physician wasn't in-network?

Are you really willing to have your credit rating messed up over this? (If it already isn't because of the collection notices.)

I have health insurance for a reason! If the hospital in in network, then they should NOT employ doctors who are NOT in network---that is why I am not paying! It does not seem fair/right to me! Had we been near a not in network hospital, I would gladly pay the bill without question! The last line was me being fecicuous (sp) and taking their idea of asking first to the extreme! For the record there is nothing in the information I received that says this may happen (I checked!)

Archived