Help with South America Itinerary 2006

jezzdogg

Celebrity juset released the 2006 intineraries for South America. As 2005 sold out so quickly want to book one for 2006. The question is which one....that's where I need you guys.

The itinerary that start in Buenos Aires and ends in Chile on Jan 22 and March5 is app 500 dollars more than the reverse that starts in Chile and ends in Buenos Aires of Jan 8 and Feb 5th. Does anyone know the reason for that?

Is that the most desirable or should we do the one of Fenb 19th that just does Argentins and Brazil, but the stop coinsides with "Rio Carnaval"

Thanks for any input

The Chile to Buenos Aires route (or the reverse) is essentially a scenic and wildlife cruise to a very remote and spectacular part of the world-sort of a Southern Hemisphere Alaska cruise in Spanish. The Argentina-Brazil cruise is more people and culture-oriented with visits to several ports and coastal cities up the Atlantic seaboard. Carnaval in Rio is the ultimate "cultural" experience. Two totally different kinds of cruises. Can't explain the price difference-may have something to do with holiday dates in South America (where a lot of passengers on these cruises come from--it's their Summer while it's our Winter).

After having spent a few days in Brazil on my recent Crystal cruise, I can honestly say it's a place I would not want to visit again. It has become quite dangerous and we were constantly warned by both the cruise director and the local tour guides to dress down, not wear jewelry of any kind, not to carry more than just a few dollars and not to carry credit cards unless they were in one of those pouches that you wear under your clothes, not take cameras unless you're with a large group, and not to venture out on your own. Despite all that, quite a number of passengers and crew were robbed and pickpocketed and it got so bad that the ship's photographer was robbed by two men with broken beer bottles when she lagged behind a tour group to take a few pictures of SugarLoaf. While Brazil is a beautiful country, Rio and Salvador were just too unsafe for my tastes.

As to your question, are all the cruises the same length? A day or two difference can add a lot to the price.

Yes all the cruises are the same length. The one that includes "Rio Carnaval" is more expensive that the others, but I guess that is because of the carnaval. What I do not understand are the routes that I posted, why doing it one-way is so much more than doing the same cruise in the opposite direction. Also what you say scares me, was it that dangerous in South America???

We did the Santiago to Buenos Aires this past Feb. and thought it was one of our best cruises. Hurry and book and get an aft cabin if you can. The view of the fiords and going through the Straits of Magellan and around the Horn were spectacular from our aft cabin.

What I heard from someone who did the Valpariso to BA route is that the BA to Valparaiso route is slightly better in terms of the time of day that you cruise through various areas. But this was regarding the HAL cruise that is longer and cruises Anarctica as well as the around the horn ports that Celebrity cruises. But given that the BA/Valparaiso direction is more expensive, Celebrity must consider it, based on market research and past sales performance, as the most desirous route. My sense is that the South American Cape Horn cruises are "hot" and will probably sell out early given what happened this past year since they sold out about a year in advance and there are limited cruises. If you can't get an aft cabin, be sure and get a cabin on the side that faces land in the direction you'll be sailing -- that was also advice I was given.

We did the BA-Santiago route this past Feb-March. Just be aware that there are some hidden extras that could come into play. If you do the Santiago-BA route, you will pay $100 pp entry fee (in cash). If you go to Carnival in Rio (we did that trip 2 years ago), you will need a Brizilian visa. ($100).

We selected a room that was on the starboard (right) side so we could view the beautiful scenery from our balcony.

Re the penguins: they were mostly gone from Punta Arenas when we went to the penguin colony. In other places they were plentiful, ie Magdelena island, and Puerto Tombo.

Our cruise was the voyage that had the engine problems, and our itinerary was changed at times to allow for the ship to navigate at a slower speed. We missed the Falklands, and did not go into some of the fjords. (on the Infinity).

"South America" isn't dangerous; some parts of some cities in some countries are. The Cape Horn cruises are very safe-the two main cities, Santiago and Buenos Aires, are modern, clean and comfortable. And there are few, if any, muggers in the vast wilderness areas you will travel through (maybe an angry sea lion).

The SA ports are fairly safe. However, Santiago and Buenos Aires are big cities and thus you have to be careful, expecially for pick-pockets. One of our group had his Rolex taken from his wrist before he even knew it. We had a private tour in Buenos Aires, my DH, myself, the guide and the driver. I was walking a few steps behind the guide and DH when I noticed this man following them. I walked up and placed my hand on DH's belt and the man walked away. So be careful. We felt very safe in Santiago and even walked from a restaurant through a park and along the river to our hotel at night. I wouldn't let the fear of crime keep me from the Santiago-Buenos Aires cruise.

In fact, we felt the people of SA were some of the friendliest, nicest we have met on any cruise. All of our CC group talked about this. The small towns really need the tourist dollars.

Just got off the phone with Celebrity about the South American itineraries, would you believe all the afts are now gone for all the different dates..........what I can only guess is that a Travel agent has them all on hold, so we are over a barrel, so to speak.......if we want an aft we must book with them, and can not use our regular scources. Air is high thru Celebrity around 1400pp, not sure if it any cheaper thry the Travel agents, but went on line and put in this year's date.............came up with around 725 with one stop and American non-stop at 900. so definitly cheaper to do on your own(this is from NewYork) I have proably have enough miles to do this on American, so will go that way if I can. The people at Celebrity where on sure which way on the ship (port or starboard) is best for what dates.

Just to clarify things, I did not say South America was dangerous. I said I felt Rio and Salvador in Brazil were unsafe when you compare those cities to other places I've been. Other places in South America are wonderful and lovely, and I've not felt uncomfortable, but in those two cities in Brazil, I felt very unsafe and uncomfortable. For that matter, they always tell you to be very careful in Rome or in countries like Vietnam, but in my 5 visits to Rome and in my 5 days in Vietnam, I've never felt unsafe, not even at night. But in Rio, it was downright uncomfortable.

A downer on the BA-Valaparaiso route is that you will spend a day in Montevideo, which, IMAO, is a waste. Do be aware that Falkland calls are fairly likely to not happen because of weather - they only make it baout one time in two or three. Penguins are very cool. We enjoyed our Cape Horn cruise immensely, Fwiw, though we were not able to to a sise trip to Iguasu falls as we'd have liked..

I can't comment on the Brazilian itinerary, as I haven't done it.

Safety issues are no different from any city from what I've seen, unless you're going to the tropics and need special vaccinations. Use good sense and you'll likely be fine.

Have fun!

Punta del Este, a beautiful upscale seaside resort, is a great side trip from Montevideo (and offered by Celebrity). Both Punta del Este and Montevideo were recently visited on the "Amazing Race." As for Rio, kitty9 is right-large parts of it can be dicey and travelers should never take anything valuable with them anywhere. The bad folks can spot tourists a mile away (usually by their clothes and shoes).

I have tried to email you through your public profile. It says you are not excepting any private messages. Would you mind emailing me through my public profile. I would really appreciate that.

OOPs, mine also says I am not accepting email. This is really weird because I have specified that I would like it.

So any way, here is my email address: doreen.michael@videotron.ca

Just got off the phone with Celebrity about the South American itineraries, would you believe all the afts are now gone for all the different dates..........what I can only guess is that a Travel agent has them all on hold, so we are over a barrel, so to speak.......if we want an aft we must book with them, and can not use our regular scources. Air is high thru Celebrity around 1400pp, not sure if it any cheaper thry the Travel agents, but went on line and put in this year's date.............came up with around 725 with one stop and American non-stop at 900. so definitly cheaper to do on your own(this is from NewYork) I have proably have enough miles to do this on American, so will go that way if I can. The people at Celebrity where on sure which way on the ship (port or starboard) is best for what dates.

We booked our own air from JFK on American (can I say that now) for $715 pp total arriving in Santiago and leaving from Buenos Aires. Try thier website. However, the cost from Santiago to Valpariso is expensive. We used Port Compass for transfers from the airport to hotel, hotel to ship and ship to hotel again. Wait list for the aft.

No. I booked air for the cruise we took to SA this past Feb. Our air was half of what Celebrity was at the time we booked it. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Actually we booked Celebrity air, then I watched fares. When AA'a was 1/2 of Celebrity's since we hadn't made final payment I cancelled it and booked our own.

No, you can not book air more than 330 days in advance, what I did was go to Orbitz(can I say that) and put in the dates for 2005 to see what rates look like, I may be wrong but if they are around 713(one-stop)-934(last being direct each way)then for 2006 I do not see them being over 1400 which is what Celebrity is quoting from Newark for the 2006 South America cruises.

Archived